shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on a Diamond I bought

Thegodlynub

Rough_Rock
Hello all, My first post/topic and I hope I'm not breaking any rules with what I'm asking ( very sorry if so )

Could someone tell me roughly what value this diamond is and is it any good?

I Have a GIA Report, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post that so I will write whats in it. What I'd like to know if I've paid the right price and if the stats are okey as in the proportions, All this means nothing to me but I'm so curious to know more about this Diamond.

Round Brilliant
Measurements: 5.01 - 5.04 x 3.14 mm
Carat Weight: 0.48 carat
Color Grade: F
Clarity Grade: VS2
Cut Grade: Excellent
proportions
Depth: 62.4 %
Table: 55 %
Crown Angle: 36.5°
Crown Height: 16.5%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8°
Pavilion Depth: 43.0%
Star Length: 50%
Lower Half : 80%
Girdle: Thin to Medium, Faceted, 3.0%
Culet : None

finish
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good

Fluorescence
Fluorescence: Faint

clarity characteristics
clarity characteristics: Feather

Thanks

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Selected: 62.4% depth, 55% table, 36.5° crown angle, 40.8° pavilion angle
The result is for a symmetrical diamond with a medium girdle and very good polish
HCA scores were adjusted Dec. 15, 2001 and Feb. 6, 2003.

Factor Grade
Light Return Very Good
Fire Very Good
Scintillation Good
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 3.6 - Very Good - Worth buying if the price is right"

The crown angle is too steep - I'd keep looking.

Thegodlynub

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replys, Nearest shop is 100miles so I thought I might ask the www. I paid around £1000 for this. I was wondering was it good for the price I paid.

Thanks

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
I only see one similar option for comparison in the Diamond Search tool -- a .47ct F VS2 GIA certed stone with an HCA of 3.2 priced at USD1366. It is hard to compare -- the search stone is much shallower and has VG rather than excellent polish. You don't say what the symmetry grade was for your stone.
For further comparison, there is a GIA certed .47 ct with a 1.5 HCA score with a listed price of $1444 (not a huge price difference). That stone is also more of a 60/60, which some people prefer for pendants/earrings rather than rings but that is more personal preference.
Remember that the listed price may not include shipping or taxes esp if you are not in the states. So if you bought locally and the price you listed (which I am calculating out as about USD1574 per google), you can only evaluate if you overpaid if you look at the whole cost (tax, shipping, etc.).
Based on what I am seeing on WF and BGD, unless you look at resale I do not think you will find a super-ideal cut (H&A/branded/etc) stone at that size/color/clarity at the price you paid. You may, however, be able to find a better cut stone at that price, and even a better cut and bigger stone if you are willing to go down a little in color/clarity. With a really well cut stone many folks are comfortable with a lower color & clarity. Just some things to consider.
I hope this is helpful.

Thegodlynub

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply! My stone symmetry is very good, I purchased the stone from my country UK. Ive already bought the stone but had doubts afterwards. I paid £1000 with tax already in the price.

My cut is rated excellent, is this not true? Also are diamonds cheaper there than the UK?

I couldnt find any UK sites with forums so I came here :p

Thanks

Thegodlynub

Rough_Rock
I bought an engagement ring and I got to pick a massive list of diamonds, I paid £600 for the plantium ring and £1000 for the diamond. I thought I could pick something with better quality online than buying one from a shop like Argos. I didn't know what angles and things like that ment, I thought having excellent cut and F colour it would be great. So your saying the type of diamond ive picked are for mostly pentants and earrings? Now that is upsetting :p

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thegodlynub|1418752269|3802336 said:
I bought an engagement ring and I got to pick a massive list of diamonds, I paid £600 for the plantium ring and £1000 for the diamond. I thought I could pick something with better quality online than buying one from a shop like Argos. I didn't know what angles and things like that ment, I thought having excellent cut and F colour it would be great. So your saying the type of diamond ive picked are for mostly pentants and earrings? Now that is upsetting :p

No she was meaning the 0.47 carat stone she found as it was a 60/60 stone so had a table percent of 60% which some people buy for pendants and earrings. As was said earlier your stone crown angle is too steep - a 34-35 degree crown angle would be better with the pavillion angle you have. However as this is an American site there are more people buying stones at 1 carat and above, it is more
difficult to get a half carat stone which has a certificate. You can do a search on the search feature on the main page to see what you
can find on there. Stone in the UK are more expensive and include vat, in the usa they can avoid tax by buying out of state but are supposed to declare to their local state and pay local tax rates on it.

Does your stone sparkle, the best guide is your eyes. Just check the diamond does not look too deep or dark in the centre.

Thegodlynub

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the info, I'll check it tomorrow. Can't afford 1 carat its like £3000 and I don't have this money :p

But be honest for £1000 is it good for the price or could I get better? Going by the stats? I don't understand why Via has graded the cut excellent cut when the angle is to steep. F diamond compared to an I or a J diamond 0.5 carat could you tell the difference with just looking at it in a ring? Also when I look at the diamond to test the sparkle and to see if its dark in the centre should I do this test outside in daylight ?

Sorry for all the questions I just want to get her the perfect diamond which is in my budget.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Thegodlynub|1418773129|3802573 said:
Thanks for all the info, I'll check it tomorrow. Can't afford 1 carat its like £3000 and I don't have this money :p

But be honest for £1000 is it good for the price or could I get better? Going by the stats? I don't understand why Via has graded the cut excellent cut when the angle is to steep. F diamond compared to an I or a J diamond 0.5 carat could you tell the difference with just looking at it in a ring? Also when I look at the diamond to test the sparkle and to see if its dark in the centre should I do this test outside in daylight ?

Sorry for all the questions I just want to get her the perfect diamond which is in my budget.

Pyramid thanks for clarifying my comments. I don't know whether diamonds are cheaper here. There are a lot of discussions here about why GIA "Excellent" cut grades do not always mean you are getting an "ideal" cut for performance purposes. There are many ways to evaluate cut, and HCA which uses the angles and percentages is one tool for identifying good candidates. That said, my ering stone is also a GIA Excellent that is "only" 2.5 on the HCA. It was purchased from a local jeweler here in the US at a price that was within a few hundred of online prices for similar stones (and less than a super-ideal would have cost). I love my stone and get compliments on it regularly. Some may disagree, but IMHO there is no rule against "very good" HCA scores -- it is a tool that can give you a better sense of how performance compares between different stones. It is also helpful for buying stones sight-unseen.

I am not a professional diamond dealer, and I cannot give professional advice about your purchase. You are the only one who can evaluate if the price you paid was ultimately fair. You should know what you are paying for vs what you are getting. You are paying for a high color and clarity level here -- I mentioned that before because if you are looking for a bigger stone, you can go down on these a little the better the cut is. You are paying for the GIA Excellent cut rating, even though it is not an ideal cut in terms of performance based on PS standards. That said, if you love the stone (yes, yes, check it out OUTSIDE before you decide) and your price included taxes, it looks to me like you are within a reasonable percentage of online pricing for similar size/cut/color/clarity. If you are willing to go down in color/clarity I think you could get a bigger and better cut stone for not too much more money, but for direct comparators I don't think what you paid was crazy out of line if it included taxes. If anyone else thinks I'm missing something please let me know -- I don't want to give bad advice!

I or J MAY be noticeable in a ring -- that is personal preference. G or H is unolikely to be noticeable (at least to me).

Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results