shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on a .98 E VS2

postsupny

Rough_Rock
Hi there!

This is my first post so I hope everything makes sense. I have a family member who sells diamonds here in NYC. I've begun searching for an engagement ring and decided to use his help to buy a diamond and find a jeweler to mount it. After looking at more options than I really ever meant to, I've basically narrowed it down to an E color .98 VS2 with 3x Very Goods and faint fluorescence. The GIA diamond dossier lists the inclusions as a crystal and cloud, but it's not a report so while I can clearly see the crystal with a loupe (more on that in a moment) I don't know where the cloud is positioned. I can't remember the exact dimensions of the stone. It would cost me $6,300.

The only thing holding me back is the placement of the crystal, which is positioned just off center of the table and looks like a tiny grain of clear sand. It's impossible for me to see without a loupe but I find it a bit depressing that with a loupe the inclusion is so close to center. I wish it was hidden under a facet. I know my girlfriend will love the stone but the moment she magnifies it (if that ever were to happen) the crystal is hard to miss.

My question is, is it worth asking my family member to dig around for a similarly weighted VS1 or VVS2 and hope to be around $7,500?
(Like this: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R99-5MBL3A?cid=pricescope) He said that the extra thousand dollars and hassle of finding something is hardly worth it (I found only two diamonds that fits the bill on all of my web searches so far), but it does seem like I can have what I want at that price point (possibly with excellent cut grades). Am I crazy to go back and ask him to find a needle in a haystack or should I simply sit back and save the money, realize that I will never own a loupe, and let it be? This a big expense and I don't want it to eat at me that if I pushed a little harder I could have found something with a more difficult to find inclusion.

Any advice or reassurances would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm more concerned about "3x VG." Does that mean VG cut, symmetry, and polish?

A VS2 inclusion is a non issue if you cannot see it with the naked eye at any angle. No, I wouldn't pay more for VS1 or VVS when you have an invisible inclusion.

postsupny

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your advice, that's helpful! Yes, the stone is Very Good Cut, Polish, and Symmetry.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In most cases, you should avoid VG/VG/VG. Can you post the GIA number?

There are many 3EX that don't pass muster.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
There are a couple 3x very goods that do return a low hca score.

This is a tough size to be shopping in right now with Valentine's day coming up.

That said, here is a triple excellent F color for not much more than you are already paying. It gets a nice low hca score. So if you insist on dealing with this guy, see if he can get pictures of or physically bring in this diamond for you to see.
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-6385099-0.99-carat-Round-diamond-F-color-VS2-Clarity.aspx?sku=6385099&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

Brian Gavin and whiteflash both have NOTHING in a higher color/clarity range in that size.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
postsupny|1421902947|3820254 said:
Hi there!

This is my first post so I hope everything makes sense. I have a family member who sells diamonds here in NYC. I've begun searching for an engagement ring and decided to use his help to buy a diamond and find a jeweler to mount it. After looking at more options than I really ever meant to, I've basically narrowed it down to an E color .98 VS2 with 3x Very Goods and faint fluorescence. The GIA diamond dossier lists the inclusions as a crystal and cloud, but it's not a report so while I can clearly see the crystal with a loupe (more on that in a moment) I don't know where the cloud is positioned. I can't remember the exact dimensions of the stone. It would cost me $6,300.

The only thing holding me back is the placement of the crystal, which is positioned just off center of the table and looks like a tiny grain of clear sand. It's impossible for me to see without a loupe but I find it a bit depressing that with a loupe the inclusion is so close to center. I wish it was hidden under a facet. I know my girlfriend will love the stone but the moment she magnifies it (if that ever were to happen) the crystal is hard to miss.

My question is, is it worth asking my family member to dig around for a similarly weighted VS1 or VVS2 and hope to be around $7,500?
(Like this: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R99-5MBL3A?cid=pricescope) He said that the extra thousand dollars and hassle of finding something is hardly worth it (I found only two diamonds that fits the bill on all of my web searches so far), but it does seem like I can have what I want at that price point (possibly with excellent cut grades). Am I crazy to go back and ask him to find a needle in a haystack or should I simply sit back and save the money, realize that I will never own a loupe, and let it be? This a big expense and I don't want it to eat at me that if I pushed a little harder I could have found something with a more difficult to find inclusion.

Any advice or reassurances would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
On a more philosophical note, every diamond merchant in the world is in the business of meeting customers needs. Sometimes it's easy and sometimes more difficult. Sometimes you work hard and don't win the business. If merchants are willing to work hard for strangers, why would they not do the same or more for family? And why would a merchant encourage a family member to "settle" for something that they are not completely satisfied with?

I don't think it is a needle in a haystack situation at all. But try to give a little flexibility where you can. If a fraction of a mm is less important than clarity, be willing to consider a .90 ct. Likewise, an F color is still colorless so you could give a little there for more options. I am pretty sure you can find what you are looking in a Triple X or an AGS Ideal. And if your family member doesn't want to do the legwork, you can DYI it!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, my highest priority with a diamond is the cut quality. That will affect the diamond's performance, which I will see every time I look at the diamond. I'd rule out a Very Good cut, regardless of its clarity rating.

You decide what's right for you. Just want to ensure you make an informed decision. Lots of great info on PS.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very thin girdle, may be a chip risk.

sweet_jane

Rough_Rock
Perhaps it is an issue of "mind clean" vs. "eye clean". If you can not see the inclusion without a loupe (and I am assuming you do not wear a loupe attached to your eye socket :D ) everyday, maybe it is knowing there is an inclusion that bothers you. This diamond may be acceptable from another person's perspective but do not feel pressured to buy it if you are not 100% satisfied with it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results