shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice needed on a diamond my husband found!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

msiwantitall

Rough_Rock
What a terrific site I tripped on! Maybe someone can steer me in the right direction. (Warning -- I believe in miracles and there may be some mentions of God here)

I was feeling a little sad while reflecting the day before Mother''s Day, as it was the first one without my mother. My husband and I had just returned from my favorite restaurant (a cheer up attempt) and just inside our vestibule, he bends over and picks up what appered to be cut glass. He gave it to me and I put it in my pocket. Next morning, I pull out this exquisite flashing rock, which I am convinced is a genuine diamond and that it''s my mother''s way of distracting me. And I don''t care -- I''m making it into a ring even if it''s trash! I called all 3 of our tenants and 2 of the 3 reported diamonds intact. I figure if the third had lost hers, I''d know by now. I''m letting a month go before I take it in to somebody. But who? Very ignorant on the subject.

I will describe it in layman''s terms and maybe one of you experts can lend an opinion. First of all, it put a deep etch in a glass so it''s not a rhinestone. It is a perfect (my naked eye''s peception) princess cut measuring 3/8" on each side. It''s icy white and flashes colors every which way. I''ve been trying to find a cloudy streak or some blemish to make it "real" however but, nothing. Is there a chance I have the real thing? Even if the answer is no, I''ve already had way too much fun with it! Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thank you.

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
3/8 of an inch or 3/16 of an inch?

3/8" is HUGE?!

I would first take it to a reputable appraiser and verify that it is a diamond and to give you an inclusion plot.

Then I would report the diamond missing. The person who lost it should be able to have sufficient documentation to match your appraisal.

Loose diamonds falling out of settings aren't very likely, although I've heard stories from friends. Depending on how long the owner has lost it, it probably has already been reported to the insurance company for replacement.

That's just my take on it.

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Have the stone checked by a profeesional.

Do not do any more scratch tests, as you can easily damage a square diamond doing this.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know what the law is in your state but in New York, if you find anything over I believe $50 in value you are required to file a police report and turn it over to the police. If no one claims it within a certain amount of time, it is yours. If the value is over a certain amount, it is considered larceny if you do not do so.
I would first find out if it is indeed a diamond and then consult an attorney about it. Unfortunately the law is not "finders keepers" when it comes to items of high value. I am not an attorney but I am somewhat familiar with this because my son found something of significant value and we turned it over to the police. The original owner claimed it and gave him a very generous reward.
We called the police when he found it and this is the information we were given at the time.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe one of your tenants had visitors? But maybe not...

This is a great story
1.gif

solange

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 5/11/2004 1:47:57 PM msiwantitall wrote:

confused.gif
LARCENY!!!? Oh great. I didn't expect this twist.....but thanks.----------------

Please do not take my word for it. You could call a local police station and ask for this information without telling them what you found.
But first, find out if it really is a diamond. If not, you can just have it set in a pretty setting and feel it is a good luck omen.

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Agreed! Find out what it really is first.

And keep us posted... with pictures!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
No, that is not larceny....relaz!
1.gif
But it's not very nice...
sad.gif

If you were in a restaurant, then it could be a patrons. The right thing to do would be to contact police or put up a sign in the restaurant that says if you lost something of value (without indicating what) to call you/the restaurant. They'd have to tell you what it is.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 5/11/2004 2:04:03 PM moremoremore wrote:

The right thing to do would be to contact police or put up a sign in the restaurant that says if you lost something of value (without indicating what) to call you/the restaurant. They'd have to tell you what it is.----------------

If it is genuine.....

Yes, it is the right thing to do. I would hope if I lost something of such sentimental value, someone would find it in their heart to try to seek it's rightful owner. Due dilligence is not contacting just two out of three neighbors.

limey

Shiny_Rock
If I found a valuable item I would want to keep it but more importantly I'd want a clear conscience. First try and determine if it is a diamond and then get some specs, carat weight etc. A good jeweler should be able to help, an appraiser would be best. If it is real then the right thing to do would be to post an ad in a local newspaper or even in the vestibule where you found it. It could be one of your tenants friends or family. Simply say Diamond Found and the person calling has to be able to tell you the shape, carat weight, dimensions etc.

Judi W

Shiny_Rock
very interesting story, and being the romantic and fatalist that I am, I believe that if you are meant to have this "diamond" it will be yours. I do agree, however, with those that say you should make every effort to find the owner. Otherwise, it will never glow as bright for you. Let us know what happens!
9.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
doesn't breathing on it work? If it's still foggy by the time you look at it, then it's probably a cz? Dunno!

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! This is my dream--to randomly just find a diamond lying around.

However, I have to agree with the group: you've got to try a little bit harder to find the owner. If it were your diamond that were lost, you would want someone to do the same for you. Remember, if it's real, even if the owner gets it replaced by their insurance company, it's not a "no harm no foul" situation because their insurance premiums might go up after a big claim like that. Anyway, I'm just guessing.

But if it's genuine, no one claims it and you get to keep it, then that is just too cool.

Daniela

solange

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 5/11/2004 2:04:03 PM moremoremore wrote:

No, that is not larceny....relaz!
1.gif
But it's not very nice...
sad.gif

If you were in a restaurant, then it could be a patrons. The right thing to do would be to contact police or put up a sign in the restaurant that says if you lost something of value (without indicating what) to call you/the restaurant. They'd have to tell you what it is.----------------

I do not know whether this applies to all states. However according to Penal Law of the State of New York one of the definitions of larceny is "By acquiring lost property. A person acquires lost property when he exercizes control over property of another which he knows to have been lost or mislaid---without taking reasonable measures to return such property to the owner."
This means reporting it to the police who take possession of it and investigate the matter. I am not a police officer or attorney but I was an investigative reporter in the Criminal Justice System so I happened to have a copy of the Penal Code. Also, if this is really a diamond and the insurance company has paid out the claim, the stone belongs to the insurance company.

In my son's case, the valuable item he found had been reported to the police and the insurance company but no claim had been paid so the police returned the item to the rightful owner and my son received a reward and a beautiful letter of gratitude.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 5/11/2004 6:23:09 PM solange wrote:

----------------
On 5/11/2004 2:04:03 In my son's case, the valuable item he found had been reported to the police and the insurance company but no claim had been paid so the police returned the item to the rightful owner and my son received a reward and a beautiful letter of gratitude.
----------------

You have a great son to have done the right thing. It's a credit to you as well.
appl.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL Solange....you just happened to have a copy of the penal law!
1.gif
That does sound good to me though.. Guess it is...makes sense b/c you have to have the intent to deprive another of the property at the time of the taking...and I guess the actual taking is when you realize it belongs to another...and then you decide to keep it...I feel a headache coming on lol.. I actually am an attorney-don't do any crimminal...but it's CERTAINLY not the first time I was wrong!
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
and msiwantital- I did want to add that i'm very sorry about your mom...and that I do hope that either you can keep it or that you get to return it and share in the joy that someone will feel by your giving it back!
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
and msiwantital- I did want to add that i'm very sorry about your mom...and that I do hope that either you can keep it or that you get to return it and share in the joy that someone will feel by your giving it back!
1.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Just my .02, but I have lost rings before. I have also found rings. If I found the ring (or diamond) at a place of business, I would turn it in to the police and leave a note at the lost and found at the business that I had found an item of value lost in that establishment. I would also leave info stating that anyone who had lost an item of value could contact the police in that area. I have been both lucky and unlucky with regards to lost jewelry. Unlucky hurts when the sentimental value makes it a very valuable piece (to me).

You mention your mother. Perhaps she would like to know that you had been listening to her lessons along the way about honesty and integrity and doing the right thing even when no one would know it but you if you didn't do the right thing. Find out what it is. If it is indeed a real diamond, turn it in to the police; and sleep easy knowing that your mother would be proud of you.

Shay

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results