shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice needed for H&A stone for a tension ring...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Exiton

Rough_Rock
First, a thanks to everyone for such a great forum and consumer resource.

Second, my story. I plan on getting engaged in the next few months. A year ago, I gave my girlfriend a promise ring to see if she liked a tension setting and to see if it could hold up. I purchased the ring from Bruce Boone and it is the fusion ring found here. Fusion Bruce did a superb job and the ring has been wonderful, so her engagement ring will be a 14k white gold ring from Gelin and Abaci (the Fusion will be re-set by Bruce with a colored stone for the other hand). The current Gelin and Abaci models I''m looking at are the same design as the Fusion. The TR-006 and the TR-039 from Mickyroof.com. According to Mickyroof.com both the TR-006 and TR-039 have a carat range accomadation of .25-1. The current CZ in the fusion is 6mm and has proven to be a good size. I think this equates over to about a .9 carat diamond. Now, I''ve done some digging and can spend between 4-5k on the stone (it will cost an additional 1k to have set). To maximize my budget, I want to buy online. I want something that is colorless (or close) because the ring puts all the attention on the stone. I think it has to be SI1 or better for structural reasons to take the tension pressure (better to error with VS2 as the minimum). I''ve been browsing at Dirtcheapdiamonds, whiteflash, and goodoldgold for a nice cut.

Third, Recap
Looking for a diamond
Round, Ideal Cut (Hearts and Arrows)
Around .9 carats
Colorless (or close)
VS1-VS2

Forth, What I''ve found so far:
4,806 .91c G VS2 Signature Cut from DCD
4,487 .903 G SI1 Signature Cut from DCD
4,100 .90 F SI1 Expert Selection from Whiteflash

What do you guys think of these? Is this the general idea of what I should get for the tension setting above? Any other substantive or stone recommendations?

Thanks a million guys!
36.gif
-Will

Scott Terence

Shiny_Rock
Hi Will,

It is great that you gave tension settings a try out before making a long term commitment to it. I have recently gotten Bruce to set a small J Vs2 cushion diamond and it very much highlights the stone and allows it as much light as possible to get in and out the top. When looking at particular clarities for potential stones, its been my understanding that Vs2 is a safe bet but I think that with a round you can do a SI1 if you ensure that the placement of the inclusions are not on the girdle (perimeter) and that the inclusions are more structurally benign if they are "contained" by that I mean that they arent feather-type inclusions that could spread due to tension pressures and or tension+accident knocks in the course of wearing the ring.

As for color, if the stone performs well with a high level of light output (minimum leakage) then the lower colors like H,I or even J are not as much as problem. The only issue, is more of a personal preference (or ability to differentiate slight differences in color), is if your fiancee will be bothered by observable body color of the stone from the profile view. Since the stone is so exposed, it is rather easy to see the slight tint on my J (from the side only). This can ofcourse be reduced if you get a stone with mild-strong blue fluorescence (which you should confirm with the vendor that it does NOT get "oily or milky") which can take on a blue-white tint in sunlight/UV light sources.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Scott

ps here is a link to the ring Bruce made for me so you can see what a J looks like as compared to Ti and Rose gold (inlay)
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/boone-diamond-tension-ring-for-a-guy.22652/=

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results