shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice/help wanted for men's ring setting.

ryanu

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. What a great forum you have. This is exactly what I need. I was wondering if I could pick your brains with something here. Any sort of advice or insight would be much appreciated as I am new to this and can use all the help I can get!

Anyways, here is the situation. I recently purchased a .62 round off of eBay. Ive had it tested and everything is a go. Now the color of the stone is O/P. That doesn't bother me too much as color is a persons preference and I dont mind mine being a bit "wheaty".

My main concern here is that I need to find a men's setting for this bad boy. Just looking for something plain. I have found these 2 on eBay. They look alright. But would you guys suggest white or rose gold for my stone? Would it matter?(Not a huge fan of yellow)

Also with the setting should I be looking for the prong setting? The first one shows prong and the second one... Well it's different I'm not sure what you'd call it. Also looking at which setting would be the most secure as I don't want to lose my diamond!!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/281574487992?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/251804730468?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Like I said, I'm just looking for some advice/direction. The jewellery came is a tricky one and I could use some help and guidance. Thanks in advance! Glad to be here.

If you know of anywhere I can find a good plain men's setting online id be all ears. Not trying to spend an arm and a leg though. Probably 500 would be my absolute max.

ryanu

Rough_Rock
Also I have spoken to the sellers and the settings will be in white or rose gold even though one is silver in the link. Just to confirm!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
White or rose gold will depend on whether your stone has any other tint (other than the usual O/P colour) and whether you want to play up or play down the O/P. You can use prongs if you like but the semi bezel will be the most protective and secure.

ryanu

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1422365495|3822622 said:
White or rose gold will depend on whether your stone has any other tint (other than the usual O/P colour) and whether you want to play up or play down the O/P. You can use prongs if you like but the semi bezel will be the most protective and secure.

Which would you think would play it up/down? The white or rose?? I thank you for your reply

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have the diamond in hand; take it to a shop and place it next to or on the setting itself to see which effect you like best.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You also can get a rough idea by putting the diamond next to/on top of a bright new dime and a shiny copper penny...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1422371449|3822666 said:
You also can get a rough idea by putting the diamond next to/on top of a bright new dime and a shiny copper penny...
I think he's Canadian but don't know if he's close enough to the border to have US coins.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ryanu|1422331917|3822520 said:
Also I have spoken to the sellers and the settings will be in white or rose gold even though one is silver in the link. Just to confirm!

I think rose gold goes well with lower colored stones depending on what you are trying to do. However, rose gold, to me, tends to be
more feminine (which may not bother you). Plus the style of the setting can offset that feminine look.

Of the two you picked, I prefer the second half bezeled one.

Have you considered titanium or one of the other not as expensive metals? I would rather you get a more substantial setting
not in a less expensive metal than a cheap gold setting.

Here are a few that I like...they say female rings but they look more unisex to me...
http://www.titaniumrings.com/titanium-womens-rings/solitaire-stone-settings/haly-black.html
http://www.titaniumrings.com/titanium-womens-rings/solitaire-stone-settings/proxima-round.html
http://www.titaniumrings.com/titanium-womens-rings/solitaire-stone-settings/comet-round.html

Also, here is a link to a company (Stuller) that carries men's mountings. Most of them come in gold but some of them come
in less expensive metals. Most jewelers have access to Stuller...you would need to go to a jeweler to get actual prices.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1422371565|3822667 said:
I think he's Canadian but don't know if he's close enough to the border to have US coins.

We have the same coins in Canada, more or less (recently they got rid of the penny, now we just round up or down to the closest $0.05 but there's lots of pennies floating around still).

OP - have you look at any other vendors? What is it you're looking for in a setting? The semi-bezel is more attractive to my eye but I'm not sure what kind of look you're going for. (e.g. would you consider tension settings? http://www.boonerings.com/stone.htm)

And what's your budget? ETA: I just saw it's $500.

ryanu

Rough_Rock

I will do that . I don't have the diamond yet but I should in a week or so. Thank you!

ryanu

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1422372469|3822671 said:

I think rose gold goes well with lower colored stones depending on what you are trying to do. However, rose gold, to me, tends to be
more feminine (which may not bother you). Plus the style of the setting can offset that feminine look.

Have you considered titanium or one of the other not as expensive metals? I would rather you get a more substantial setting

Here are a few that I like...they say female rings but they look more unisex to me...
http://www.titaniumrings.com/titanium-womens-rings/solitaire-stone-settings/haly-black.html
http://www.titaniumrings.com/titanium-womens-rings/solitaire-stone-settings/proxima-round.html
http://www.titaniumrings.com/titanium-womens-rings/solitaire-stone-settings/comet-round.html

Also, here is a link to a company (Stuller) that carries men's mountings. Most of them come in gold but some of them come
in less expensive metals. Most jewelers have access to Stuller...you would need to go to a jeweler to get actual prices.

Thanks for the ideas I didn't see the stuller link but Im sure I can just Google it?

ryanu

Rough_Rock
maccers|1422373968|3822685 said:

We have the same coins in Canada, more or less (recently they got rid of the penny, now we just round up or down to the closest $0.05 but there's lots of pennies floating around still).

OP - have you look at any other vendors? What is it you're looking for in a setting? The semi-bezel is more attractive to my eye but I'm not sure what kind of look you're going for. (e.g. would you consider tension settings? http://www.boonerings.com/stone.htm)

I am looking for a plain setting. I don't want anything to take away from the diamond itself. After more thought I think I'll stick with the bezel setting as i want as much security as possible. Do you think I'll get as much shine as I would with the prongs? The titanium looks okay. Definitely different. Is that secure as well? Kinda frightening that it looks like it's just sitting there. If any of you know of any more plain settings I would be all ears. I know it's hard to find men's settings though. Btw you guys and gals are great!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ryanu|1422374882|3822696 said:
I am looking for a plain setting. I don't want anything to take away from the diamond itself. After more thought I think I'll stick with the bezel setting as i want as much security as possible. Do you think I'll get as much shine as I would with the prongs? The titanium looks okay. Definitely different. Is that secure as well? Kinda frightening that it looks like it's just sitting there. If any of you know of any more plain settings I would be all ears. I know it's hard to find men's settings though. Btw you guys and gals are great!

It depends on the cut of the diamond. If well cut, it can be bezeled with no reduction of light performance/sparkliness. A not as well cut diamond benefits from light coming in from the sides.

ryanu

Rough_Rock
The second link I posted says it will fit 6.5 mm stone however with mine being 5.2mm does it go without saying that this won't work for me? Sorry for all these noob questions. You guys have been great

ryanu

Rough_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is extremely deep at 67.9% depth with a shallow crown, which is why it faces up small at 5.2 mm instead of being closer to 5.5 mm. It is not a well cut diamond, hence it is photographed under spot lighting which makes just about any diamond sparkle. It will not fit the 6.5 mm setting as bezels have very little wiggle room. I find the website odd; the EGL USA report calls it a round brilliant, yet shape is listed on the website as Old European, which it clearly isn't.

Thread very carefully on eBay; buy it only if you love it, not because it looks like a deal. Don't forget that clarity enhancement exists.

ryanu

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1422376191|3822718 said:
It is extremely deep at 67.9% depth with a shallow crown, which is why it faces up small at 5.2 mm instead of being closer to 5.5 mm. It is not a well cut diamond, hence it is photographed under spot lighting which makes just about any diamond sparkle. It will not fit the 6.5 mm setting as bezels have very little wiggle room. I find the website odd; the EGL USA report calls it a round brilliant, yet shape is listed on the website as Old European, which it clearly isn't.

Thread very carefully on eBay; buy it only if you love it, not because it looks like a deal. Don't forget that clarity enhancement exists.

I believe the old European was a typo as he was selling a few of those as well. I'll judge by the EGL usa report. I know it's not a "great" stone but for my beginner budget I think it will do. What kinda deal do you think I got? It's huge (compared to what I'm used to)

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock

I have purchased multiple rings from Boone and can say that the quality is great. He also does all sort of custom work, so if you don't see what you want, he may be able to create it.

Quick response to emails and a very fast turnaround. Easy communication. Very reasonable pricing.

I would call or email Bruce and ask him what Boone might be able to do for you!

ryanu

Rough_Rock
RockyRacoon|1422377799|3822742 said:

I have purchased multiple rings from Boone and can say that the quality is great. He also does all sort of custom work, so if you don't see what you want, he may be able to create it.

Quick response to emails and a very fast turnaround. Easy communication. Very reasonable pricing.

I would call or email Bruce and ask him what Boone might be able to do for you!

I think I will be sticking with a GOLD setting. Either white or rose gold, the titanium looks a lot more modern but I like the bezel look

If anyone knows of any other venders that offer mens settings please let me know

thanks

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="RockyRacoon|

I would call or email Bruce and ask him what Boone might be able to do for you![/quote]

Yup!... :appl:

ryanu

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1422372469|3822671 said:

The titanium rings you mentioned... Am I able to purchase just the setting and get my stone set myself? I went to their website and it seems like they want to add the stone for me. As you can see I am all over the place. I do like this more modern look then the bezel setting I was looking at. Also I think my diamond will be shown off nicer as well. Do you recommend any other metals? Ideally I would like to purchase the ring online and have it shipped to me and get my diamond set in Vancouver. Any more info you could shed would be great! Thanks!

pittin

Rough_Rock
I love the look of tension sets. I would recommend platinum. I could be wrong, but platinum is a little less likely to flex over time and will hold the diamond more securely. I hear that people recommend platinum prongs for solitaire-style settings for this reason. Personally, I wouldn't consider titanium or tungsten as an option. This is based purely on my own taste. They are fine metals if they're your style. You may want to ask whoever makes your ring about the ability to size the ring if ever needed. Tension rings may be more difficult to re-size.

I like this style.

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/tension/14k-white-gold-contoured-tension-v121-by-danhov-designer-engagement-ring-item-7233

ryanu

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the replies. Can anyone give me what they think retail value would be on the 3 stones I bought? All links are posted. Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results