shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice for International Buyer

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Aussie26

Rough_Rock
I live in Australia and am looking at buying a diamond engagement ring.

I have spent hours looking at pricescope forums, fat wallet, numerous diamond broker sites etc. Thanks for providing such detailed info!!

Now I need some advice please.

I have already got my heart set on a particular setting, which would need to be custom made. The problem starts there... As I want a custom made ring, no company will offer a refund, exchange as they have to specially make the item for me, should it not turn out as I want/expect.

My couple of thoughts are.

1 - Buy the diamond only, get it shipped out to Australia, then appraised and set in Australia.
2 - Buy the diamond and get it appraised in the US, then shipped and set in Australia
3 - Buy the diamond and get it appraised in the US, provide me with the report, then all going well, set in the US and then shipped to Australia

Suggestions/ideas would be fantastic...

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would choose #2.

Most of the diamond dealers WILL offer you a refund on an unmounted diamond if you get back to them within a reasonable amount of time although the customs people and shipping can be a bit of a pain so there’s a pretty good incentive to be confident that you’ve got the right one before it leaves the country. A US appraisal delivered by email should solve this nicely and there are quite a few of us who are familiar with the process. As the US dollar drops this is becoming increasingly part of the business for appraisers.

If there’s a custom jeweler close to home that you can work with, you get the best of both worlds. They can show you the designs, waxes or whatever they want and you can get a ‘hands on’ feel for the process while still getting the US Internet pricing on the diamond.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Something else that might help your decision is the additional 5% you''ll pay in import duty if you have it sent already set.

Aus customs: 0% duty on loose diamonds, 5% on jewelry.

Aussie26

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help.

I now turn my time to checking out websites to look for "the diamond".

I''ve done a few searches, sent a few emails... now i''m waiting for them to get back to me, then starts the comparing time. This is truely addictive!!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - this is what I''m looking for = round diamond, F - H colour, 0.8 - 1carat, eye clean clarity, cut must be very good or above, $3000 limit

Where can I get a loose diamond appraised in the US. Surely there is a list of independant appraisers somewhere... can you please point me in the right direction. I guess it is best to get it appraised in the same state as I purchase from to save on shipping time/costs etc.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
If you use the search by cut db here (above under prices), use your criteria, eliminate SI2 as a category, look for only excellent cut, and discount the lowest option showing for its clouds...this one is up next, at $3287. Ask if it''s eye clean?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results