shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice for a first time buyer

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PennWashDC

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I''m looking for a stone for an engagement ring and I am thrilled to have found this forum. I would greatly appreciate any advice you could provide.

Here is the situation..
I''m looking for a round, EX or Ideal cut, 1.3-1.4 carats, SI1, H or I color stone and would like to stay under $7000. The setting is picked out: Tacori, platinum, one round stone on each side (G-H color).

I''ve done extensive searching online in addition to visiting 5 B&M retailers.

The best I have been able to do at the B&Ms so far is the following:

EGL certified
1.32 carats, SI1, I
Total Depth: 60.5%
Table Width: 58%
Crown Height: 14%
Pavillion Depth: 43&
Girdle: Thin, Faceted

Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: None

Fluorescence: Moderate Blue

The asking price is $6375.

In my novice opinion, it appears that I can do significantly better for the money online than at a B&M. I am particularly concerned about the EGL certificate because I have heard that their grading standards are not as strict as those of GIA and AGS.

My questions:

1) Is the concern about the EGL certificate warranted?
2) Is the asking price for this stone even in the realm of reasonableness?
3) Given my budget ($7000), would I get more for those dollars online?
4) since the side stones on the setting are G-H color, should I go with an H color center stone, or would an I color be OK?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide,

PennWashDC

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
There is really no way to comment on the quality of the make and the value of the price you were quoted on the diamond you posted. The specs seem to fall in the Ideal range. Using the specs you posted, the HCA scores this diamond 0.9, TIC, Ex/Ex/Ex/VG, but you really need the crown and pavillion angles to know for sure.

An Ideal Scope image would also be great so you can verify the amount of light leakage. For example, take a look at the IS image of the 1.266, I, SI1, that Magnum posted for you. Very little white. And compare the price of the WF Super Ideal, AGS Certed H&A, to the EGL Certed diamond you are considering locally. Also, EGL Certed diamonds tend to trade at a discount compared to comparable GIA/AGS Certed stones. Without Sarin info and an Ideal Scope, there is no way to know if the EGL stone is comparable to the diamonds Magnum posted for you.

Magnum gave you some very good options to consider. Check out different Vendors' websites. Compare policies. Call and chat with a few. You may find a Net Vendor that works well for you. You may find you are more comfortable working with your local jeweler.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results