shape
carat
color
clarity

ACA New Cut vs. Old Cut for Earrings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, I have a couple of questions -- diamond newbie. I''m trying to pick out ACA diamonds from Whiteflash''s website for earrings. Denise just sent me idealscopes of two she thought were good matches (they both score under 1 on HCA and have either 3 or 4 EX (though I understand that doesn''t necessarily mean anything)). I''d just finished reading the thread on the difference between the "new cut" ACA and the "old cut" a few hours before getting the images from Diane. One of the images shows light leakage around the girdle, the other doesn''t, making me wonder if one of these is maybe a "new cut" and one an "old cut."

As a practical matter, am I or most people who are going to be admiring my gorgeous earrings going to be able to see a difference in the two -- like "gee, I see the earring on the right has broadfire scintillation and your other earring has more on-off scintillation." Should I be concerned about getting one with and one without the light leakage showing on the idealscope, or should I be holding out for a match of two no leakage or two slight girdle leakage? It''s so difficult to tell, it''s my first internet diamond purchase.

Second, I''m right here in Carlsbad, so you''d think appraisers might be all over the place here. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good appraiser who I might take them to? I''m just going to have WF set them and then take them to an appraiser after I get them. After hearing you all debating your gorgeous and expensive two and three carat diamonds I''d feel silly having little <1 carat diamonds sent to an appraiser first and then set . . .

Thank you in advance for your help!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
For earrings I would not get them appraised loose...I'd just have them set and then if you need to confirm, take them set to an independent appraiser. But for my earrings I did that the first time with the set earrings, and then was kind of like, well I'm over it..hee hee. Esp now that I feel mor confident in my own skills to visibly identify the diamonds and also feel more comfortable with vendors etc.

Re: Classic and New Line, doubt you'll really see a difference on the ears in one vs the other, I think someone else has a new line and classic for earrings...and I don't recall it being a problem. I think it'd be fun to have one of each. The differences to consumers like us are probably very slim at best viewing (aka side by side you'd probably see a little difference in the two in how they sparkle), and especially on the ears, where it's harder to really SEE than on a ring or similar.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/29/2005 10:29:23 PM
Author: Mara
Re: Classic and New Line, doubt you'll really see a difference on the ears in one vs the other, I think someone else has a new line and classic for earrings...and I don't recall it being a problem.
Colored Gemstone Nut (Josh) had a pair with old & new line ACA - his thoughts here.

ETA pics from referenced topic:
photo2acasreal.JPG

acacomparison.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Classic has the leakage around the edges of the girdle which some say lead to increased scintillation; also they have thinner arrows whereas New Line has the tweaked girdle light return and also fatter arrows ala Eightstarish. Having seen them in person, the differences are there visibly SIDE BY SIDE but they are equally as beautiful and also on the ears with a head in-between, don''t think that there''d be a noticeable ''difference'' between the two. They will both be stunning.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2005 10:29:23 PM
Author: Mara

Re: Classic and New Line, doubt you''ll really see a difference on the ears in one vs the other, I think someone else has a new line and classic for earrings...and I don''t recall it being a problem. I think it''d be fun to have one of each. The differences to consumers like us are probably very slim at best viewing (aka side by side you''d probably see a little difference in the two in how they sparkle), and especially on the ears, where it''s harder to really SEE than on a ring or similar.
Ditto.
Great perspective.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To compensate for the scintillation difference just move the left side of your head less.

Just be sure to wear the classic one on alternate sides to prevent neck strain.
28.gif

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone for excellent comments and for referring me to the thread about the guy who bought one of each for earrings! The pics were gorgeous! I''ve been working with Denise and she is incredible. I can''t wait to order them!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results