shape
carat
color
clarity

A word of thanks...and a funny story!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

niceice21

Rough_Rock
I wanted to start by saying thank you to all of the posters (past and present) who make this such a great site. I spent a lot of time here reading and learning about this crazy (but fascinating) industry and as some of you know, recently purchased a lovely Brian Gavin Signature H&A. Seen here http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-1040375560005

I received the diamond yesterday and viewed it in many different lighting environments (no under the tree in the sun yet, still waiting for the leaves!) and I have to say, I was extremely happy with the stone! Everything you read about Brian and Lesley is true, they were wonderfully patient and I spoke with both of the a few different times with random questions, which they answered thoroughly. I was apprehensive about the color, but never got around to asking about it and all I can say is the I am definitely not "color sensitive" that stone is WHITE! I checked it out against a white piece of paper in a couple of environments and it looked good! So, I have to say thanks to everyone for helping me with my selection! I am very confident my girl will be blown away!

Now, for the funny story....I could tell that my stone was beautiful but I wanted to compare it to the "WORLDS MOST PERFECTLY CUT DIAMOND" or whatever. So I took the diamond into the HOF dealer that I originally visited way back when because frankly, I was curious how my new diamond stacked up. I had been very perturbed when I first left that vendor and I wanted to prove that I could find a beautiful stone for half of his price. I was very nice and asked if they would mind letting me compare and they obliged. They pulled out a .883 G SI1 and he held them side by side. I didn''t see a difference and he kept checking his papers because he obviously expected his to face up much larger than my .817 but it didnt! First thing he says is "well, ours is rounder than yours", so I look at his paper, it was 6.19x6.24 so WRONG! Next he says, "well what kind of cert do you have?" I gave him the AGS Ideal Cert. and he looked it over. He said, "Obviously, the main difference is ours is cut under 100x magnification." So I smiled. He then put it under the hearts and arrows viewer and said "Oh, it''s choppy at the top, that means there are extra facets." He then flipped it to look at the arrows and said "Yep, they definitely cheated, there are extra facets. Ours only have 57 and our arrows are crisper." I said that mine should as well and he said, nope yours has 58, at least, maybe 59. My first thought was, how could it grade Ideal (0) for symmetry, if it had so many extra facets? But I kept my mouth shut. So I asked to look at each for myself and after spending 15 secs looking at each stone, I for the life of me could not see any difference in either the hearts or the arrows. So I just smiled and said "Well, I just wanted to be close, because your diamonds are so beautiful." His reply? "Well close only counts in Horseshoes and handgrenades. You do have a nice diamond though, its just not a HOF."

I was very curtious, and thanked him again for letting me compare but I couldn''t help but smile. I am really happy with my purchase and am glad that I used a different jeweler (C Sterling in Perrysburg, big shout out!) for my setting purchase. The wonder staff there told me I had a gorgeous diamond and that the final ring would look amazing. Thought you guys might get a kick out of that!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is a good story and great advice for many who come to Pricescope to read and learn from. There are some really good B&M retailers out there who are struggling to stay in business and who do a great job for consumers, yet there are plenty who will give poor advice because it suits their short term best interests. In the long run, it will be part of their downfall. This is true in most businesses and in life, in general, too. A little lie here and there eventually leads to trouble. If you don''t create this problem for yourself, it won''t come back to haunt you later on.

Sounds like you got a great diamond even it it wasn''t cut under 100X
19.gif
. You can save the extra facet(s) just in case one day you lose one or two. You''ll have a spare.
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/6/2010 3:53:20 PM
Author: oldminer
It is a good story and great advice for many who come to Pricescope to read and learn from. There are some really good B&M retailers out there who are struggling to stay in business and who do a great job for consumers, yet there are plenty who will give poor advice because it suits their short term best interests. In the long run, it will be part of their downfall. This is true in most businesses and in life, in general, too. A little lie here and there eventually leads to trouble. If you don''t create this problem for yourself, it won''t come back to haunt you later on.

19.gif
. You can save the extra facet(s) just in case one day you lose one or two. You''ll have a spare.
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

Old Miner, this is why we love you so much!!!!

Thank you.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a funny story! And good for you for being polite to the vendor.

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
What a funny story, NiceIce. Your diamond sounds just beautiful.

Nothing like being an educated consumer!

soontomarry2

Shiny_Rock
Great story!

Can you explaing this a little further:

"It''s Choppy at the top, there must be extra facets"

What part of the diamond was "Choppy at the top" under the hearts and arrows viewer?

niceice21

Rough_Rock
To be completely honest, I''m not sure because he kinda contradicted himself. When he looked at the hearts, he said it was choppy at the top (i''m guessing he meant around the top edge) and he said it meant there were extra facets up there. But then, when he flipped it to look at the arrows, he was like yep, there are extra facets and when I said "Oh really?" He said it looked like the cutter made a mistake around the culet and "nicked it or something" so he had to make extra facets. This didn''t make any sense because that would mean the extra facets were in the middle of the arrows image (which there def. were not, I looked after he said that) but he was talking about the outer edge in the hearts image which are two completely different areas of the diamond. I think he assumed I wouldn''t know what the culet was so I wouldn''t know where to look. But I don''t know for sure, and I wasn''t going to argue with him, I just wanted to compare how my diamond looked to one of theirs!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2010 3:53:20 PM
Author: oldminer

19.gif
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

niceice21

Rough_Rock
The thing that bothered me the most was that I was a pretty well informed consumer, and both times that I visited this jeweler he fed me lines. I almost doubted myself the first time, but this last time just made me smile because I could tell he was just trying to find some way of justifying why his diamond was still superior (even though there was clearly no difference.) I would hate to think of the unsuspecting customer who goes in there for basic information. Another thing that I found funny was that the first time I was in there, he went on and on about the AGS cert that his diamonds came with (top percent this, ideal cut that) and when I came in with my very own AGS Ideal cert, it suddenly wasn''t good enough. He said something about how mine said "0" next to polish and symmetry while his said "Excellent" which, again, I know can''t be correct because that is not how AGS grades...All in all, I think I kinda caught him with his pants down and that really wasn''t my intention, I just wanted visual confirmation that my diamond compared well to a HOF. So again, BIG thanks to Brian and Lesley for providing me with a BEAUTIFUL stone!

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Niceice, awesome diamond!! Please come back with pictures once it''s set!! And then more pictures once you have handshots!! Good luck on the proposal!!

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2010 11:04:58 PM
Author: niceice21
Another thing that I found funny was that the first time I was in there, he went on and on about the AGS cert that his diamonds came with (top percent this, ideal cut that) and when I came in with my very own AGS Ideal cert, it suddenly wasn''t good enough. He said something about how mine said ''0'' next to polish and symmetry while his said ''Excellent'' which, again, I know can''t be correct because that is not how AGS grades...
AGS ''Excellent'' does exist.
But ''0'' (Ideal) is better...
No comment!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results