shape
carat
color
clarity

A rare PGS Consultation on an H&A stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CosmeticsCounter

Rough_Rock
This is my first diamond purchase and this is a first post by a newbie.

To prepare for my big purchase, I spent most of my evenings over the last three months reading and re-reading these forums.

I've settled on a .93 PGS Cert round brilliant cut diamond; although I realize there are very few posts concerning PGS Consultations compared to all the others.

The PGS Cert comments it "displays a Hearts and Arrows Pattern."

The dealer of this .93 round brilliant has given me two additional readouts that describe the diamond (they are not identical!
face21.gif
):

SYM. EX. IDEAL
PROPORTION EX. IDEAL
diam. 6.29mm (6.26 — 6.31)
depth 3.88mm 61.7% E.I
crown 34.0’ 15.2%. E.I E.I
pavil 40.9’ 42.8% E.I E.I.
table 3.47mm 55.2%
girdle 1.9% (1.6medium — 2.2 sl. thick)

SYM. IDEAL
PROPORTION 0
diarm. 6.26mm (6.26 - 6.30)
depth 3.87mm 61.6%
crown 34.0’ 15.2% 0 0
pavil 40.8’ 42.7% 0
table 3.46mm 55.1%.
girdle 1.6medium - 2.2s1.thick
1. 9%

But how did I really do?

From these readouts, do I know (can anyone out there tell) that this stone is:

1) AGS000?
2) A "Top Ideal Cut?"
3) Likely to exhibit H&A characteristics?
4) Would this make a great HCA score?
4) See anything worrisome?
5) Would this be an Excellent Cut stone if I send it in to GIA? Should I send it in?

Thanks for reading, and your personal replies. Kim
face1.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!

The HCA score according to your specs:

1st set of numbers:
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 1.2 - Excellent
within TIC range

2nd set of numbers:
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 1 - Excellent
within TIC range

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
It would be helpful if you could post more info on the stone, ie, clarity pics, cert.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
PGS has a pretty good reputation in the trade but they haven't really made much of a brand presence with retail customers. They don't use the term 'hearts&arrows' with the kind of precision that some of the people here have come to expect and if this is an important attribute to you, you should consider getting it checked out by someone with experience.

The two other reports you recieved are probably stickers from a Sarin or a Ogi scope. These tools don't have identical calibration and the figures are rounded in the last digit. the result can be slight variations in the values shown. These two are quite close and I think you can safely say that they are describing the same stone.

GIA uses the term 'excellent' to describe polish and symmetry, neither of which is mentioned in your post. These are also the other to zeros in AGS000.

It sounds like a lovely stone, whichever set of numbers you use. Congratulations.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whats the color and clarity?

pgs has a pretty good rep. for second level lab certs.
There should have been a nice discount because of the cert.

Wink Jones whom I respect greatly carries pgs certed stones and has said that the grading is top notch.
Brian Knox also carries them.

Iv heard a few bad things about there customer relation skills with consumers but havent heard anything bad about their grading other than they arent as picky about what makes a good h&a pattern as some here.

Should you send it into gia? naw no need.
Should you get an appraisal by an independant appraiser will all the tools to answer your questions.
Yep you should.

My bottom line if you got the proper discounts when you bought it and it looks awesome to you then its a good deal.

CosmeticsCounter

Rough_Rock
BTW, the diamond was PGS graded as G VS2 and is going to be mounted into the middle of a Tacori 3 stone platinum setting.

From the posts in the last few days, I take it that there''s no need to send the stone to GIA "just to see" if PGS is way off and that the numbers suggest it probably was a smart purchase, quality wise.

Thank you deverappraiser, strmrdr, and jadeleaves for looking over my shoulder.

I''ll check back and see if anyone else sees anything worrisome, or something they want to comment on. Again, thanks!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It all sounds good to me.

H&A''s vs near H&A''s - I have yet to meet a real human who can tell the difference when all the proportions are nice as your stone is.

(I do not count some of the vendors here as real people - they are H&A''s religious zealouts
30.gif
)

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2005 8:26:14 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
It all sounds good to me.

H&A''s vs near H&A''s - I have yet to meet a real human who can tell the difference when all the proportions are nice as your stone is.

(I do not count some of the vendors here as real people - they are H&A''s religious zealouts
30.gif
)

Hello. Just back from the evening service.

To the Original Poster, I agree completely about the proportions of your stone. It sounds like it will be beautiful! Please let us know how everything goes.

(On pulpit) I do feel it necessary to explain to the congregation that the "religious zeal" some of us share is not for "just" a H&A pattern, but for a combination of specific minor as well as proven major proportions, should they occur, coupled with what our "fanatical" eyes see as rarified true patterning. H&A for the sake of H&A does not excite most of the PriceScope H&A chorus. Halleluia. (Off pulpit)

Preach on, brother Garry.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2005 10:50:47 PM
Author: JohnQuixote
Date: 2/14/2005 8:26:14 PM
(On pulpit) I do feel it necessary to explain to the congregation that the 'religious zeal' some of us share is not for 'just' a H&A pattern, but for a combination of specific minor as well as proven major proportions, should they occur, coupled with what our 'fanatical' eyes see as rarified true patterning. H&A for the sake of H&A does not excite most of the PriceScope H&A chorus. Halleluia. (Off pulpit)
Nice sermon brother John preach it from the hill tops!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results