shape
carat
color
clarity

A question for the jewelers/diamond setters

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Hi--

I''m having my current stone reset into a new ring soon. I was looking at my ring under magnification at work (16 and 40x) and I noticed that it looks like there is "glue" or something under the prongs on the diamond. Now I am stupid to the whole process, but do you use some kind of sealant on the diamonds or prongs to keep it in place?

Can this glue or film on my stone be removed?? Do I need to tell my new jeweler who is taking the stone out of my current ring and setting it in the new one about it or will they know to clean and or polish the diamond before they reset it?

How does the whole process work of taking the stone out of one ring and resetting it into another? What is involved?

I''ve been through so much with my old jeweler and poor workmanship that I want my new ring to be perfect and done right.

Thanks in advance, sorry about my naivety!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
glaucomflecken,

Glue is not normally used in diamond setting but it is obviously not possible to give an accurate assesment without seeing the piece. It''s common for oils and other debris to get behind the stone and may be what you''re seeing. In any case, it should be easy for the jeweler to remove whatever the foreign substance is prior to setting it in you new ring.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

UnionDiamond

Rough_Rock
I used to work with a jeweler who swore that a touch of super glue on the points of a princess cut prior to setting it made it a little less likely to break during the process. I don’t know if it’s reality or not but the guy always had a great reputation in the trade.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
phew what a relief. I did clean it well and the gunk came off. Duh me!

thank you all!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results