shape
carat
color
clarity

A penny for your thoughts on ring sizing..Help (was titled "A")

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sixstrrzr

Rough_Rock
Previous email was mis-titled.

Need some pointers on sizing an engagement ring.

I have some of her old rings, but I''m not sure they''re the right size.

She''s 5''2", 110 lbs...I''m thinking 5.5.

Any help would be appreciated.......

Thanks!

cushioncut

Shiny_Rock
Does she ever take the rings she wears now off? Like at night maybe? If so, grab one and get its imprint in a bar of soap (or something soft) when she is not paying attention, and bring it to your jeweler. If you can, try to get one that is about the same width as the setting you have chosen. There is a slight variation between very thin and very thick rings. For example -- I am a 6 1/2 if the ring is very thin, but probably a 7 with a thick (over 3 mm) ring.

I''d be surprised if she were a 5.5. She sounds pretty tiny...

But like someone else said, getting it resized is usually not a big deal... Unless it''s a full pave -- then it might be a bit of a pain, but still doable, I think.

sixstrrzr

Rough_Rock
Thanks CC,

This is actually just a presentation band - I''m going to let her pick the actual final setting.

I guess it''s better to be a little bigger than smaller - so she can at least wear the ring.

dancinbaby

Rough_Rock
if it helps at all, I''m 5''4" 110lbs and my ring size is 3.5 - 4. Though my hands are very small

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
5''7" 120 5.0
should we start a new thread?
26.gif

.........sorry, it''s late.....somewhere.......

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I am 5''3" and 110lbs; I wear a size 4.5 because of my big knuckles. I doubt that your gf is a size 5.

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
I will give a guesstimate, my sister is the same weight and height of you "soon to be", and she wears a size 5.5 . It is better to get it bigger and size it down. I would try a size 6 to be on the safe side.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
6 is the standard size that most rings come in. Why guess? Just have it set on your temporary setting & resize it after you present it to her. It shouldn''t cost that much & it''ll be worth it to get it right.

bichon

Rough_Rock
I''m 5''1 and 105 lbs on a good day and 109 lbs after a feast. I have small hands and had my ring re-sized from 4.5 to something like 4 and need to get it re-sized AGAIN to 3.75. If she has "dainty" fingers, I would be on the safe side and stick to a 5 at the very least. I noticed you''re from California where the weather is considerably nicer than up here in Canada ... so she probably won''t experience the cold weather "shrinking" her fingers ... maybe you should stick to a 6 or so.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Well, I posted this over yonder in "A" too...

I found some info on finding out her ring size, posted on PS some time ago.
Cusioncut has already put one of these ideas forward.

- - - - -

Make an Impression
If she’s in the habit of leaving any of her rings lying about, make an impression of one. A bar of soap, a piece of clay or even a piece of bread can be used to take a reliable measurement.

Put it in Writing
You could even trace the inside of the ring on a piece of paper which the jeweler can then use to determine an accurate measurement.

Try it on for Size
Simpler still, just put one of her rings on your own fingers. Push it down as far as it will go and then mark the spot with a pen. Then just show the marking to your jeweler who can measure it for you.

What are Friends For
A friend of the soon-to-be bride’s can be of great assistance in this particular endeavor. It’s not uncommon for one friend to ask another for their ring size as a matter of curiosity. Just be sure you choose a friend who can keep a secret.

The Real Thing
If you can bring one of her rings to the jeweler without arousing any suspicion, this will probably be the safest course of action. Offer to take her jewelry to be cleaned and have the jeweler measure her ring at the same time."

i have heard that platinum is more difficult to resize than gold - don't know how true that is

good luck in your endeavours
- - - - -

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Wow those are some good tips, much better than guessing. You really can''t tell by a persons height or weight what size fingers they will have. I''ve seen small people with large hands & large people with small hands.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results