shape
carat
color
clarity

a new quandary

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TLS

Shiny_Rock
ugh! I was on my way to the jewelers to finally make a decision on the A. Jaffe setting which I planned to finalize the deal on... well we decided spur of the moment to go into this other jeweler in town. It was really more for just fun, I didn''t expect to see anything I liked. I was originally very turned off by the sign outside that looked very old 1950ish and not in a good way, so I didn''t think I would find anything of quality inside.

Well of course i find this setting I loved! It was around .86 of diamonds almost all the way around the thin band. at first i thought they were 2 pointers but then I went and looked at the A. jaffe one and those I knew were two pointers, so these ones were more like 4 pointers. I think there were around 20ish diamonds on the band so it had to be 4 pointers. Something about this one just appealed to me more and it looked sparkly of course in the store.

I dragged it over near the window to try and get a more realistic view and it still looked pretty good. the setting was like 1200 in white gold and i think in platinum i am going to be priced out though he is checking the prices for me.

I am considering getting this one in w/g instead of the jaffe in platinum now.

A couple questions for anyone who might know...

The band is really thin, which I like, I think it is around 2 mm...I started thinking is this too thin for these 4 pointers? I thought if 4 pointers were used the bands would have to be thicker to support them? Is this ok? The jaffe one has 2 pointers and is around the same mm.

with white gold how long would it be before the prongs holding in the melee might get worn down and possibly need to be fixed? we talking 5 years, 10 years or longer possibly?

I have problems when i put earrings in with anything other than gold in the past, so i am concerned about allergies to alloys like nickel. How likely is it to have a nickel allergy that would cause a problem on your hands?

Thanks for your help!

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
I have a band that has channel-set 3 pointers and it is only 3 mm in the area that the diamonds are set, then it narrows down to 2 mm in the back. Since yours are prong-set I think 2 mm would be fine. Actually, if you measure it, you might find it is really more than 2mm because my 3mm doesn''t look that wide on my hand. The diamonds might actually even be 3 pointers and not 4, because my 3 pointers look considerably larger than the 2 pointers in the sides of my band. My 2 pointers are set in a 2mm portion of the band.

Also, I wouldn''t think that the prongs would get worn down since they aren''t gong to be rubbing on anything.

I''ll show you pictures of my ring so you can see what I am talking about.

newringprofile.jpg
The channel-set diamonds are 3 pointers and the band is 3mm in this area.

newringside.jpg
These are the 2 pointers on the sides, there are 14 (seven on each side) and the band is 2mm. The round basket area has four 1 pointers.

I hope this helps some.

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t answer you questions about mm, etc. But I can tell you that people with a nickel allergy tend to be reactive all over. Your hands could certainly react. I have even seen a girl who had an allergic erruption on her lower abdomen because her favorite belt buckle contained nickel!
Munchkin

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results