shape
carat
color
clarity

a K facing up a.. K?

ohhihellothere

Rough_Rock
Asked for more details on a specific diamond from JA and the answer makes me a little nervous...

"I am please to inform you that the gemologist found this diamond to be an exceptional beauty. It faces up a high K color, closer to a J..."

A K is a K; there's no question it will have a hint of yellow. Could I have hoped for a more confident answer? Honestly, I was hoping it would "face up" more colorless like an H.

What do you think?

Diamond: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.36-carat-k-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-370209

370209__1_.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think your expectations are skewed. If it faced up like an H it would BE an H most likely. But it's not. It's a K. So it faces up like one.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a AVC K, it faces up very white and from the side looks pretty white, it's in a basket style pendant. I think in a ring you might want a bezel setting or set lower or set it in yellow gold, again my stone is lovely and I have it set it white gold.. it's only hint of color is very close up. Best of luck!

ohhihellothere|1412630700|3763193 said:
Asked for more details on a specific diamond from JA and the answer makes me a little nervous...

"I am please to inform you that the gemologist found this diamond to be an exceptional beauty. It faces up a high K color, closer to a J..."

A K is a K; there's no question it will have a hint of yellow. Could I have hoped for a more confident answer? Honestly, I was hoping it would "face up" more colorless like an H.

What do you think?

Diamond: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.36-carat-k-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-370209

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock

What do you think?

I think you would need to buy an H-colored stone.

You may be able to choose a setting that doesn't provide a side-view (bezel or other), to try to minimize the color.

Otherwise, you are going to be disappointed, as a K-colored stone is definitely not colorless.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
RockyRacoon|1412632458|3763228 said:

What do you think?

I think you would need to buy an H-colored stone.

You may be able to choose a setting that doesn't provide a side-view (bezel or other), to try to minimize the color.

Otherwise, you are going to be disappointed, as a K-colored stone is definitely not colorless.

Agree. Go down in size and up in color, or up the budget. A K is not near colorless. And will show tint.

ohhihellothere

Rough_Rock
Thank you all- I appreciate the feedback and this may need to be considered..

Here's the setting that will be used for the diamond. This will be in 14k yellow gold (0.012ct halo diamonds are H-I color)

Think the "face-up high K" will look good? Or scratch it and go with a higher color?

me1838.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Go up to an I.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you gone and looked at a range of diamonds so a H, I, J, and a K? I agree with Gypsy if the colour is already bothering you then stick with an I. And for the record in a modern brilliant a K (we are talking about a high K here) is NEVER going to look like a H ie un-tinted, so I am not sure what you were expecting. The best it will look is like a good J ie face up an off white to a stone with a slight tint of colour.

Some people (including many on here) can put a J or a K into the setting you have above and will love it, others will not like it at all, colour is a very personal subjective choice.

ohhihellothere

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response

I am all for a K color as long as it doesn't look dull compared to the halo diamonds beside it. That is the biggest question I have.. the K would be set in yellow gold, and the melee are very, very small

Will it blend in with the rest of the setting in your opinion?

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
ohhihellothere|1412634943|3763255 said:
Anyone agree or disagree with Gypsy?

I do agree with Gypsy here.

I-color would also be the compromise I would suggest.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I agree also.
The K may be beautiful, but certainly not colorless. And further next to melee (G?) you will see contrast. It sounds like that is not what you want to see.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get a smaller diamond and but an H would be my advice.

ohhihellothere

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys!

For reference, the setting would be in yellow gold and the melee are H-I color and 0.012ct (very, very small).

The question is if a K center stone would, or would not blend in with the rest of the ring

Any other opinions?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
cflutist|1412636184|3763290 said:

Ideally an H, I agree. I was just worried about the budget since she's looking at K's. And I thought "I" would give her a little more size.

But H-I is the range I think she should be in. 8)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1412636184|3763290 said:
Yup, an H color sounds like a good fit for the OP.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go with I color to get the most size you can without getting into an obvious tint. I color with fluorescence would be even better. I would not go below the near colorless range for an engagement ring in most cases. But I think he is okay with I color because of the yellow gold setting. It'll look pretty white in a yg setting.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
Little diamonds face up whiter so a K will be noticeable in that setting. I would go with an I.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree yellow gold plus smaller white diamonds are probably going to contrast with the stone not "blend in with it." You are not going to hide a K coloured stone by putting it into yellow gold or by putting a white halo around it. You can either live with and enjoy the slight tint and contrast or pick a higher coloured stone and have a ring with no contrast.

For the record I have a high J OEC in a platinum halo with F/G coloured diamonds. Very few people comment or I think even notice the colour contrast. I do it drives me nuts. It's a beautiful ring, but if you are colour sensitive like me then you will always notice it. If you are not colour sensitive then it's probably going to be way way less of an issue. Only you know what your threshold for colour and mixing colours is.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
ohhihellothere|1412636600|3763299 said:
Thank you guys!

For reference, the setting would be in yellow gold and the melee are H-I color and 0.012ct (very, very small).

The question is if a K center stone would, or would not blend in with the rest of the ring

Any other opinions?

I would not expect to set a K in yellow gold surrounded by an H/I halo and not see tint. Both the yellow gold and the contrast of the whiter halo are likely to play up the fact that this diamond is not colourless rather than the opposite. You will see tint, unless you are really not colour sensitive. Have you seen K MRBs in real life? I would not purchase one without having seen one.

I agree with Gypsy that a smaller diamond in an H or I is a much safer bet, unless you have personally seen Ks and know that you like them.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's no way a K can "face up like an H" unless it is totally misgraded.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an L coloured diamond - it looked whiter when set in white gold, warmer when set in yellow gold.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At that size, I think you'd be good with a J color... in white gold. I think the YG will make it look more tinted.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results