shape
carat
color
clarity

8 Star Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful and expensive...

The second part is clear, the first less so when options are considered. You will find stories of eight star buyers and probably a few more of shoppers who turned from Eight Star to other sources of H&A cut rounds.

IMO, the better source for such comparisons are to be foun among the posts by Jonathan from GoodOldGold and those by 'Golden Oak' on this forum. And no, these guys not (always) promot H&A over Eight Star ot the other way around. Jonathan is in a good position to explain what one should expect from different kinds of ideal cut given all the techie gear in his shop. The tutorial on 'minor facets' on the GoodOldGold website also contains some useful details.

Hope some of this helps
1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Everytime this question comes up one of the 8* dealers hollers at me because they dont like what I say.

Nice diamonds if you like the look. I dont.
To me they look dark.

Over hyped, dont believe everything you read about them.

Overpriced in my opinion.

Best advice is try and see one for yourself along with other h&a''s otherwise save a ton of money and buy a different h&a.
If you love the look there isnt anyone else cutting the lgf that short which mainly gives them that look that I know of.

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/24/2005 7:50:19 AM
Author: strmrdr
Everytime this question comes up one of the 8* dealers hollers at me because they dont like what I say.

I won''t holler Strmrdr! But, a case can be made for the amount of time anything takes to make. A 8* takes 7 to 8 times more labor to make than ideal H&A. I think one has to consider what handmade is. This also comes up with hand fabricated jewelry from different designers. A cast design is less than a handmade one and machine set less than hand set. Then there are varying degrees of talent. These all affect pricing. Over priced or just expensive to make? I do agree a person should see one and make up their own opinion.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2005 9:54:13 AM
Author: mepearl53
Date: 8/24/2005 7:50:19 AM

Author: strmrdr

I won''t holler Strmrdr! But, a case can be made for the amount of time anything takes to make. A 8* takes 7 to 8 times more labor to make than ideal H&A. I think one has to consider what handmade is. This also comes up with hand fabricated jewelry from different designers. A cast design is less than a handmade one and machine set less than hand set. Then there are varying degrees of talent. These all affect pricing. Over priced or just expensive to make? I do agree a person should see one and make up their own opinion.

They dont have any better patterns than an ACA or one of GOG''s finest or a cut by infinity.
Iv seen some helium scans and full sarin scans on them and they arent cut with anymore precision than the others.
So if it takes that long to cut them someone is wasting a lot of time or they are missing and recutting a lot.
Id like to see some proof of it taking 7 times longer.

Midnight

Rough_Rock
IrvineCA,

1. Visit "One Gem" in the Mission Viejo Mall. They carry 8* and others H&A also. As strmdr recommended, compare them side by side to see if you can see a difference and if you like the look. The owner is extremely knowledgable and will spent hours and hours educating you on the history of H&A and Eightstar diamonds and Cut in general. They have the Firescope too for you to play around with. Expect to pay a premium for the 8* though. Personally, I couldn''t tell the difference between a 8* and their top of the line H&A under jewelry store lighting but my friend could and fell in love with it. Too bad for her fiance
21.gif

2. Although not exactly a 8*, you can try checking out Whiteflash''s A Cut Above "New Line" if you can''t afford the 8* premium. That is the closest H&A I think you will get to a 8* look. Ask Brian/John/Bob to find one of their "New Line" ACA with thicker pavillion mains or shorter lgf as strmrdr alluded to and star facets around 50%. strmrdr or John Q, correct me if I''m incorrect on the specs.

3. Jonathan at GOG may also have some H&A with the 8* look. He should be able to help since he at one time carried 8*.

4. If you are on a TIGHT budget but really want a 8*, you might have to compromise the Size, Color, and Clarity but of course not CUT.

Good Luck!

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Handmade human touch vs robotics. Pretty simple! Technology drives down prices. Cadillac, Ferrari, both get you to work in style and comfort. Build a Cadillac like a Ferrari and the cost would probably be the same. There is demand for both.

Call Richard and I''m sure he''d be happy to give you a tour!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dang, you took my line, but I was going to use Lamborgini...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2005 10:29:38 AM
Author: mepearl53
Handmade human touch vs robotics. Pretty simple! Technology drives down prices. Cadillac, Ferrari, both get you to work in style and comfort. Build a Cadillac like a Ferrari and the cost would probably be the same. There is demand for both.

Call Richard and I'm sure he'd be happy to give you a tour!

Yea but in this case its not caddy vs Ferrari in a race.
Its a bunch of well cut diamonds with different looks.

In this day in age if you want a part precision machined which do you do pop it in a cnc machine or hand it off to a couple machinists?
Any shop iv been around it goes strait to the cnc machine.

That doesnt change my advice in my first post to try and see one in person.
If the person loves the looks and the price is worth it to them I will say Congrates!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I compared a superb H+A, and Eightstar and a Solasfera side by side in the same store in the same lighting.

I prefered the Solasfera.

Eightstar was priced about double the Solasfera.

Not worth it in my opinion.

Also, they all 3 had very different look.
All 3 were beautiful.

Try so see diamonds side by side.
It is the ONLY way to compare.

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/25/2005 12:41:59 AM
Author: kenny

Also, they all 3 had very different look.
All 3 were beautiful.
This hits the nail on the head. It''s about personal taste. Value is a perceived judgement. Personal taste is just that. To say something is not worth it or a "rip off" is a value judgement and in a forum like this I believe it would be fair to all that it stay personal not vindictive. I think many people would feel insulted if one was to say my taste or judgement is better than theirs. Let ''s be fair and open to all brand and non-branded products.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results