shape
carat
color
clarity

8* star diamond pricing. Is this a good price?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

adamg5

Rough_Rock
I have a jeweler who wants to sell me a 8 star cut 1.05c round J color SI2 for $10,600
I know its a 8 star cut but is it a good price?
thanks,
Adam

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds really REALLY high to me. My stone was WAY less and had better color and isn't too much smaller than that.

Mine was also a branded cut, though not an 8Star. That might be nearly 3x what we paid. Well more like 2 and a half probably.

adamg5

Rough_Rock
Was your a 8 star cut? He has a .93 J color SI1 for 8,500. also does color have alot to do with the diamond even though it's a 8 star?
thanks,
adam

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not sure what you mean about color having to do with an EightStar.

I have one, but much different specs. I have no idea what a 1ct J SI2 would cost. I can tell you that GOG has a larger (1.19) J VVS2 (that's three clarity grades higher) for just over $6000 (LINK).

So the real question is whether the branded cut is worth about $4000. Or whether the brand is more important than size,color, and clarity. Or whether you can see $4000 worth of difference.

Don't get me wrong, I think EightStars are GORGEOUS. But I do believe anyone thinking of purchasing one should dwell on the above questions first. There certainly are other gorgeous, top-quality cut stones out there, without the brand premium.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Adam, the question is "how much are you willing to pay for the 8* brand name?" If you do a search here on Pricescope, you can find some great heart and arrow round cut stones for much less than the one you mention.

As for color, a well cut stone will hide color more than a poorly cut stone. Several people here have bought well cut J stones and they love them and think that they face up very white. I recently bought an I colored ideal cut stone and I already had a G colored ideal cut stone. I can tell a definite difference between the two but the I is still beautiful.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 9/14/2004 6:03:41 PM adamg5 wrote:

Was your a 8 star cut? He has a .93 J color SI1 for 8,500. also does color have alot to do with the diamond even though it's a 8 star?

thanks,

adam----------------

For comparison's sake, i'll tell you that I recently bought a gorgeous AGS 0 ideal, 1A AGA, .9 HCA 1.279ct (7.07 mm) J SI2 for less than half the cost of that .93 J

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
A pox on you and your family for discussing 8* pricing!
1.gif

Greentree

Rough_Rock
When you enter the EightStar world you are looking at round brilliant diamonds from a different point of view. The priorities are re-ordered. Precision of cut is paramount. Color, clarity, carat weight are of secondary consideration. Whether you care to believe it or not, it takes several man-days of work to produce one. That's why they are so extraordinarily expensive. All those hours of work must be paid for.

You buy an EightStar because you want the finest quality of workmanship available and are willing to pay the costs of obtaining one.

adamg5

Rough_Rock
Well today was the day for me to actually see the 1.05 J color Si2 since he ordered it from 8 star. Well it had been sold and instead 8 star sent my jeweler a 1.09 L color Si1.
Not sure if I'm to happy about it. He said he charge me the same for the bigger stone since they sold the one I wanted.
adam

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Adam~ they wanted you to buy an L??
You know how you know that's not a good deal... assuming they're both eye-clean, you won't see the dif in size but you will see the dif in color btwn a J & an L...

I'll tell you - someone recently purchased a superbcert diamond & confided that the v knowledgable appraiser said it was the closest thing he's seen to an 8*...
1.gif

Pls check this out & save yourself the $$ & aggrevation... SC 1.12 J SI1 - just look at the Bscope & Idealscope results! tough to beat... oh - and it's $4675.

adamg5

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
thanks for all the responses. I decided no to go with the 8star based on the very very high price and bad color and clarity.
I found a much bigger gabrielle stone with very good color and clarity for the same price. The gabi stones are amazing!! thanks again.!
adam
appl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results