shape
carat
color
clarity

5+ct Round or 4-5ct Fancy Yellow Radiant/Cushion

Spring13

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I am trying to decide which would be better (so indecisive): 5+ct Round or 4-5ct Fancy Yellow Radiant/Cushion.

Some background: My original e-ring is a little over 3ct. Main concerns are that while I do definitely like yellow diamonds, I often find myself going back and forth on whether or not to actually get one? I really love white diamonds, but also know that the quality I want, in the size I theoretically want, is definitely a no-go due to cost factor. So in this search, I would have to lower the specs down a lot from where my 3ct is at, to get the size I want. With that aside, my husband's main concern is that he feels that getting a 5ct round serves no purpose as my original engagement ring is already 3ct in size. And because we will not be trading in my current e-ring, he says why would I ever wear my 3ct again if I have a 5ct...? At least a yellow diamond ring would be something different?

Specs for round would be G-H, eyeclean, Triple Ex or AGS 000.... and still wavering on fluorescence or not as it's supposed to help lower colored diamonds look whiter? Not sure how color sensitive I am, but in order to lower costs, H would be the sweet spot, since this diamond is bigger, and knowing that it will show more color. Also thinking 5ct, because I feel anything under wouldn't really be that significant of a jump visually for me. Would want to set it into solitaire setting with double claw prongs. Budgeting hopefully around or under $100k for diamond alone

Fancy Yellow I think would be sufficient for me in color, but the local jeweler is pushing towards fancy intense, but I also think it's also because it is more expensive...? Thinking of setting this into a three stone ring with trapezoid side stones. Budgeting around $50k for diamond alone

Also, the white round diamond would easily cost 2x more than the fancy yellow diamond... or that's what I am seeing while doing some research online diamond shopping.

Would love to have some of you lovely ladies chime in with your thoughts. =) Thanks in advance!

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
H colour is fine, florescence is a personal issue and if your going to spend so much money you should see the diamond in real life.
Yes flor makes the diamond whiter but not always it has to be Blue florescence and not alway does it make it whiter sometime it has no effect or rarely a negative effect ( milkiness)
get a gemologist's second opinion on any stone.

I would look at the fancy coloured stones in person too and select from a range to pick out the best cut and colour that you prefer,
apart from that its personal preference whether or not you prefer a white round or fancy colour.
Fancy intense is nice but if you set a fancy yellow in yellow gold it can make it appear yellower and for a much cheaper price.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is a great jeweler in LA that has really nice fancy yellows with great cutting (FYI) and the prices are really nice. Might be worth a flight out for you to go see them if you aren't in the LA area. Or a drive over if you are in the LA area.

That said.

Here's my opinion on the fancy yellow. Have you tried them on?

My skin tone is light olive. I can't wear a fancy yellow without a white halo as it blends too much with my skin. I can't wear one as a solitaire. And no matter how much I like them, I can't wear a simple three stone with a yellow center unless the center is NEON (which I don't like).

And I've found that on most skin tones this is the case... most people need a white halo to really show off the yellow center. And if you don't want a halo-- that may be why the jeweler is telling to go with a more saturated color... so it shows up better on the hand.

Also, you are willing to consider a yellow radiant. Have you considered a white diamond of different shape than round? I mean a nice large oval or emerald cut or cushion would give you something different from your round, but still be a white diamond.

I mean, this beauty is 11x8 (and you could afford a larger one): http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/9863/

You could set it in a split shank or baguettes and it would be very different than a round:

ze120-ov-4.jpg

recently_0.jpg

17600v_angle.jpg

4-0-ct-oval-baguette-solitaire-cz-engagement-ring.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Since I wear a 3.25ct round and looked at bigger diamonds, I think you will be surprised how big of a size difference it is going from 3ct to 5cts in a round. I personally think a jump to 4ct would give you a large visual difference in size and less of a compromise on color. Am I following right though, this will be a second ering? If so, I don't think you will ever wear your old 3ct if you get a bigger round and it sounds like you want the 2nd option. I certainly never wore my 2.3ct again once I upgraded and am currently getting reset into a RHR. I agree with the other posters that maybe you should look at other shapes if you want to upgrade in size. In my opinion, fancy shapes look better than rounds in larger sizes.

I love yellow diamonds and it is at the top of my list for next purchases as a RHR but I am not sure if I would want it for a permanent ering. Have you ever thought of getting the 3-4ct yellow diamond for a RHR? It would be gorgeous!

Don't get me wrong, if someone gave me a 5ct round or 5ct yellow diamond, I would take it and put my 3ct in the jewelry box!! :love:

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Are you by New york ? I would go there and see stones many coloured ones or big ones and pick out what YOU THINK is beautiful not what someone tells you is beautiful …….. :|

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was in this exact "predicament" (FWP I know I know) a few years ago. I have/ had a 3ct F VS2 and wore it daily. I wanted to go bigger and also considered FY diamond; but like you, I wasn't sure so didn't go that route and am glad I didn't (don't get me wrong, I'd not say no to a larger yellow if someone gave it to me :wink2: ). I went for a 5.3ct H VS2 in the end and am now wearing that daily. Your DH is right, I haven't worn the 3ct at all since I got the 5ct. I've been planning on resetting the 3ct or selling it but still haven't got round to doing either!

One thing I hope you don't mind my mentioning: an ideal-cut 5ct G-H is going to cost you way more than $100k, unless you're willing to consider Si2 or lower (and remember that a VS2 say in a 5ct is more likely than not to be worse/ more noticeable than a VS2 in a 3ct). If size is important to you and you're not willing to go down even lower in colour and/ or clarity, I'd shoot for a fancy shape like an oval (as Gypsy has suggested) or a pear-shaped diamond, if you're so inclined. But not everyone loves these shapes. A cushion (as much as I love cushions) face up smaller than a round, so that's something else to consider as well.

Another option to consider is to ask your vendor if they'd take the 3ct as a trade-in or to sell it outright (as not every vendor would take it in). Just be prepared to lose money though. I myself might have to bite the bullet at some point. :sick:

Re the fluor: I wanted that too, but it's soooo difficult to get an ideal cut 5ct in the colour and clarity I wanted. Something had to give.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ETA: I just re-read your original post and realised that you'd not be trading in your 3ct.

So, may I ask: Is the reason you're considering another diamond b/c you're wanting another ring or you'd like to go up in size? Nothing wrong with either, just trying to help you make the 'right' decision.

Spring13

Rough_Rock
First off, thank you to all your lovely comments and suggestions, I really appreciate it all =)

Gypsy - thank you so much for your pictures showing me the different oval options. Unfortunately, I'm not that drawn to oval diamonds in general... and the baguette setting is beautiful, as that is how my current e-ring is set =)

mom2boys - lovely stone, but J would be way too low in color for me!

tyty333 - I love browsing and drooling over DBL's website as he has delicious fancy colored stones and rings, I think I am sticking with the 5ct round white diamond instead hehe

tweeter8177 - Though I do really like other fancy shapes, nothing really sings to me like a nice round brilliant. Tbh I would love to have both, but that is just not going to happen right now lol.

treasurehunter - Thank you so much for your advice, as today I did go out to Tiffany's to try on yellow diamonds, and I am now sure that what I want would be a large 5ct round (this time around)

Phoenix - hahaha, yes this is definitely FWP (actually probably beyond FWP lol). I just asked my DH to bring the laptop so I could type something. He asked what, since most things I can do from my phone, and I told him... he just shakes his head and goes OMG, you are crazy....

Anyway, my brain is a bit scattered right now as my little one has finally fallen asleep (woohoo haha), so this post will just be a little unedited! Apologies in advance =)

I don't live in NYC, or anywhere near there (I wish I did in times like this haha)! But I was able to go and try on some yellow diamond rings today at Tiffany's, and I really think that what I want is a bigger white diamond...though I would not be opposed to a large yellow diamond some time down the road hehe. And though I love the fancy shaped diamonds, I am still partial to round diamonds as I just love how they sparkle so much and you get so much more finger coverage.

Problem I am having right now is that I really want a larger diamond, BUT my original e-ring is a HW, a 3.06ct, E, VVS2, Triple Ex, no fluor, which we searched high and low for when engagement ring shopping (I know this sounds so spoiled, but that is not what is intended). So I just can't see myself selling it, trading it in to an online vendor, or re-setting it by someone else besides HW as that will devalue the entire ring. (I think if it was non-branded, I would have definitely put it up to trade-in OR just had it re-purposed somehow). DH and I would never re-purchase a branded ring (esp in that price range) again (my DH has also come to the conclusion that he was crazy at the time lol). So I am really bothered knowing that I may not get much wear out of it after I purchase a 5ct. I know HW does upgrades, but I do not want to trade in my ring, AND pay a crazy ton more $ to get what I want (I hope this made sense...). And problem is that my left and right ring finger are different sizes, and I cannot for the life of me squeeze my current e-ring over my right hand to even make it as a RHR option.... (I should have had it sized bigger when we got it)! The last option I just came up with is if I can get it re-sized by HW or have it re-set into a halo? (This would be a completely different topic actually lol). I don't even want to know how much those options would cost ...

Now back onto topic....

Ok, so I have looked around some more and also talked to a few more vendors, and there are probably 2 stones that would fit around the $100k budget (prob a bit over), all 5 cts, H color, both eye clean .....

1. 5 cts, H color, VS2 (eye clean), AGS000, HCA 2.7?, SBF
2. 5 cts, H color, SI2 (eye clean), Triple Ex, HCA 1.0?, no fluor

I am a bit concerned about the SBF, but the vendor has said it has no negative impact on how the diamond performs, and that is why the price is significantly lower. As for the SI2, I think though it is eye clean (per vendor), it doesn't sound mind-clean to me (maybe this is my own personal problem). And as for retaining value, I don't even know which would be the better "investment" (I know diamonds aren't really investments.. but ykwim).

I definitely cannot go lower in color, as my current e-ring is E, VVS2 (when we purchased, since we both have a problem at being "perfectionists," we actually wanted a real PERFECT D FL, but there were none in stock at HW around 3ct at the time, so we felt we "settled" with the E VVS). I am now actually thankful they did not have it in stock so we couldn't have stupidly spent that ridiculous amount more. Now I also wished that I was better educated and gone with a lower color and clarity to get a bigger stone in the first place, and probably went unbranded (but that's for another day lol)

I am already cringing with the H, VS and under, even though I know it should be perfectly fine, as Phoenix's ring is pretty much exactly what I want lol, both size wise and setting wise. (Phoenix - your ring has been my holy grail as I have been admiring your "Holly" for quite some time haha). I know I could up the budget a lot more, but part of me already feels guilty as is with the $100k budget (since I def do not NEED no 5ct diamond) and kind of wants to keep it around there if possible. Really depends on the stone

So basically, after writing this post... I def want a 5ct round brilliant lol. Please help me find the best one out there! =)

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your kind words about Holly. I was definitely on the quest for the holy grail too. :bigsmile:

I wouldn't not have HW re-set your 3ct just yet, not until you're 1000% sure. I'm sure HW would charge you an arm and a leg to reset it into a halo.

I am afraid I'm not really able to find anything at the moment at or below $100k for a 5ct. I found these, slightly above budget. I don't think you'd find the first one eyeclean nor the warmth acceptable. Holly is much whiter than that, though I can definitely still see a tiny bit of a tint from time to time, esp. when I hold her next to my 3ct F. Bearing in mind yours is an E, that colour difference would be even more discernible.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/5.02-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-sku-296409

BN has a 5.02ct H Si1, also above budget and I'd bet not eyeclean either. I can't seem to copy and paste the link however.

I would not go for a SBF. I love fluor but only MBF. Vendors would more likely than not tell you that a stone with SBF would not be hazy but I'd bet that there'd still be a slight haze or a blue-violet tinge in strong sunlight. I personally do not care for that, others may differ. Also, an HCA of 2.7 is not something I'd venture to guess you'd consider acceptable.

SI2 in a 5ct would probably not be eyeclean. Definitely not mind-clean, to me anyway - not in a 5ct. But who knows (shrug), maybe check it out in person?

So anyway, what I am trying to say is you'd have to either up the budget, go smaller or go lower in colour. You might be able to find an eyeclean H Si1 or Si2 eventually , but be prepared to wait. I waited about 6 years for Holly, so I know how it is!

Good luck and if you keep this thread alive from time to time, if I come across something suitable, I'd for sure post it. Oh also check out First Dibs (be warned, lots of yummy eye-candy there ;)) ) and check GOG in case there's a consigned item. I don't think there's anything suitable for the moment, but keep an eye.

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
First advice I have to you is be patient, diamonds do not grow on trees and with an important stone you should wait for the perfect one to come up , It is not like there are that many decent 5 ct stones out there.
Remember that Most diamonds have a problem with them , 90 % + …. so be patient and ask questions here so you don't regret it and you will get the best looking diamond .

D-H is fine in a Round brilliant if its cut well.
Florescence is a bonus in my opinion and the opinion of almost everyone else on this forum in that it gives you a discounted diamond that faces up whiter in sunlight and not only that but many people that have once had a strong blue stone and have replaced it with a nil florescencent stone have been sorely disappointed.
Only a small percentage of florescent stones have a milky or hazy effect.
here is an educational video to watch with real life observations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKDshYGBdko

Over blue is a personal thing by the way , some people like it some people don't.
In that case why are blue diamonds some of the most expensive diamonds in the world with the logic of florescence discounts they should be the cheapest??

Second advice
Pay a gemologist for a second opinion , if your spending 100k hey why not?

SI2 may be Eye clean to an untrained eye in favourable lighting but I cannot imagine an eye clean SI2 in 5 cts , so it must be that you didn't pick up the inclusion , in other lighting such as ambient or shadowed lighting the inclusions would probably become noticeable to you and once you see an inclusion its very difficult to ''unsee it''

5 for a H/VS2 for 100k seems very cheap and even for florescence , what is the certificate an AGS? If so that should be fine.
But tell me where you are , it could be well worth a flight to just go and select a diamond from a larger selection.
Many countries won't have a decent selection of 5 ct stones, If I were you I would find a broker in Antwerp or Mumbai and pay them 3% to buy the diamond for you and make sure you check up on the price with us, you could get a great deal and not only that have a stone that is possible to appreciate in value over time due to the rarity of size and if bought well you could always make money on the diamond.
But that all depends on what currency your buying the diamond with, remember diamonds are bought and sold in US dollars so in essence you will be buying 100,000 US dollars with your local currency. Primarily it is a currency deal , you will want to check the exchange rate is good at the time because you will be investing in US dollars.

Spring13

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the valuable information, Treasurehunter and Phoenix. I really appreciate it.

I am located on the West Coast, so still in the US. If I am able to find the right diamond, it definitely would be worthwhile to get a gemologist's second opinion. As for a broker from Antwerp or Mumbai, that is definitely an interesting option I haven't heard before, but am open to. Has anyone actually used a service like this before?

One of my vendors (Pricescope approved) came across another diamond and sent me it's specs (I don't know if I should post who jic...). I was wondering if you ladies could give me your opinion on it? He says that another client is working with it right now, so he is unable to see it for himself at the moment, but the cutter says it is eye-clean. He also stated if it really is eye clean that I should for sure grab it as stones like this don't come around often. Details below:

5 ct, G color, SI2, Triple Ex, Faint Fluor

photo_13.jpg

My main concern is that it is a 60/60 diamond... I've been reading so much on this and it seems like the overall consensus is that they are bad.. and don't give off much fire? Is there a way to see this via Idealscope and ASET images to determine if it is one of the good 60/60s? The HCA is 2.4

Light Return Very Good
Fire Very Good
Scintillation Very Good
Spread or diameter for weight Excellent

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not all 60/60's are bad. You just have to make sure the pavilion angles are between 40.2 and 41.2 degrees, inclusive. And this one is.

If the vendor has a good return policy, get the stone, take it to a local appraiser with an idealscope and go from there. I think it's a definite contender considering how rare a 5 carat eyeclean SI2 is.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's definitely a different "flavour". Yes, have a look at it personally and see if you'd like it. As for clarity, I like twinning wisps and have found that they're a better type of inclusions to have, but it's hard to know if it's eyeclean unless you see it with your own eyes (and bearing in mind different people have different definitions of "eyeclean").

Some people on here say be careful of the shallower crown, b/c of the higher risk of chipping. I don't know about that personally. Perhaps someone else can comment.

I'd also try to compare it with stones of a similar size, if possible. It's difficult to see a stone on its own, as you might be "seduced" by the sheer size. At the very least, compare it with your current 3ct (is that ideal cut?), and in various lighting conditions, to better judge its light performance.

Def also have it checked out by an appraiser, if you decide you like the stone.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Yellow Yellow Yellow then you have one of each. I would love a yellow radiant........one for right hand one for left.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results