shape
carat
color
clarity

4- prong vs. 6 prong for a solitare?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Catherine Ann

Rough_Rock
My wonderful BF let me be involved in the ring selection process. However, now I don''t think I like the 4-prong platinum solitare setting that I chose. I really want the traditional 6-prong setting. At the time I chose the setting, I think that I was a little tired of the whole process (we put a lot of effort into educating ourselves and trying to pick a great stone) and I just wanted to make the decision simple (unlike the diamond selection), so...I relied on the advice of the sales lady who told me the 4- prong looked much better since it "showed off the stone more"). I have always wanted a traditional 6- prong setting - I have no idea why I listened to her!

(I know, I''m so difficult....I think that''s why the BF wanted me to be involved in the process - so that I would be sure to love the ring).

So, my questions are......Do you all think there is a big difference in the look of a 4 prongs vs. 6 prongs? AND.....How much would it cost to change the setting (diamond is from a B&M store in the diamond district of Pittsburgh)? I haven''t even worn the ring yet (proposal expected any day now) so would the jeweler be able to credit the price of the setting and just charge me for any labor? How much would the labor be?

BTW, the stone is a GIA RB 1.38, H, SI2 (eye clean), VG/VG, no fluoresence, no culet, med. girdle, 56 table, 61.4 depth.

Thanks in advance for any insight!!

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I think that 4-prong solitaires are just lovely. I chose a four prong for my setting. I think that the four prong gives the diamond a more squarish look, which some prefer. They also prefer it for the reason your jeweler mentioned, it shows more of the diamond! Those who prefer the 6-prong look usually prefer it because it gives the round diamond its round property and a 6-prong is more safe for the diamond. (although, a 4-prong setting is just as safe as long as you get it checked out fairly often for prong loosening)

As for changing the setting, I don''t know how much it would cost. Your best bet is to call your jeweler and ask. My feeling though is that you would have to scrap the old setting and buy the new one; however, that is just my *guess*. I think you should wait and see your diamond in the 4-prong solitaire before making your final decision. You might just *love* your ring the way it is. Don''t second guess yourself now. Good Luck!

Catherine Ann

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice. I am waiting until I see the ring again and ''try it out'' for a while. And I agree that 4-prongs settings do give a more square look, which I did like when I tried it on. I think it depends on the shape of your finger/hand as to whether squares/4 prongs look better than rounds/6 prongs. Your''s looked very pretty though!

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Catherine Ann:

Thank you! I can''t wait to get my new ring! I really think it is best for you to wait until you see the ring and feel it out. If you then feel that you would *really* prefer the 6-prong, then go for it. However, I think the 4-prong will be lovely with that size stone!! I think the 4-prong will really flaunt it. Just make sure that you get the prongs checked at least bi-yearly if you decide to stick with the 4-prong !Let us know either way!

Catherine Ann

Rough_Rock
Feydakin,
Thanks for the encouraging news. I'm excited that I may be able to change it w/o spending another chunk of money on a whole new setting.
36.gif
I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Catherine Ann

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results