shape
carat
color
clarity

4 prong or 6 tiffany style

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ams21212

Rough_Rock
I am looking at a .50 round stone. I need help with choosing between a 4 or 6 prong tiffany style. Some people say the four makes a smaller stone look square. Others say a 6 makes makes a small stone look smaller and blocks out the light from the side. Jeez what is a guy supposed to do?
33.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jeez what is a guy supposed to do?
the best thing to do would be, go and look at both styles and see which one you prefer!! good luck!!

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
I chose a 6 prong for my RB for the added security in case my stone got loose. I read an earlier post by CFlutist''s oval getting completely knocked out of her ring and her getting 6 prongs from there on https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/dview.asp?postID=217448 . In any case, the only real insurance is getting your stone and ring insured so that you can replace it in the event of an unfortunate loss.

Some would say that the 6 prong makes a RB look more round. I like the look of both 4 and 6 prong settings. In the end, it''s really your preference.

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
Oh oh, the link is bad. Lemme try posting the content then...

"However, I can tell you about the time some guy slammed a door on my hand before
orchestra practice and my 2.05 D-VS2 Oval I had at the time FELL TO THE FLOOR.
Sitting through rehearsal with a diamond in your pants pocket is no fun. After
that incident, no more 4 prong mountings for me. I always set with 6 prongs now
(e-ring and RHR are both 6 prongs). cflutist"

I''m so technically challenged.
emembarrassed.gif

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I like 4 prongs cuz you can see the stone more. Unless it''s a pretty big stone, the prongs are most likely gonna cover most of the stone.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely love my six prong! From the top view to me the diamond looks more round and not sqaure like some four prongs.
Also the six prongs only obstructs the view when viewing from the sides. The diamond is very secure too. One last thing to think about is wether or not the ring with six prongs will be worn alone because nothing can fit flush with the ring unless you get something custom made. Good luck!
2.gif

SB

Rough_Rock
I''m not sure you HAVE to get something custom -- I have the Tiffany 6-prong, and they definitely sell bands that fit with their knife-edge setting. I have the regular platinum wedding band as well as a diamond anniversary band.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2005 12:22:19 PM
Author: codex57
I like 4 prongs cuz you can see the stone more. Unless it's a pretty big stone, the prongs are most likely gonna cover most of the stone.
Well, if the prongs themselves are BIG, the fewer the better. On the other hand, if they are few, you can't have small prongs because they need to be sturdy.

All in all - as long as the setting allows the pongs to be small - it matters little how many they are
2.gif
4, 6, or 8 ! IMO at least.

Those "Tiffany style" settings have huge prongs. They need to because there is nothing to hold the prongs straight (no sidebar) aside their own mass and those are long prongs (setting the stone high) as well. If there is some support for the prongs close under the girdle of the stone, the tips of the prongs can be really, really small (because the actual prongs are very short (only from the side bar to the girdle of the diamond, actually). With the tips of the prong well under 1mm, they are not more than tiny dots outlining the girdle.
1.gif

Hope this makes some sense.
20.gif

The ring below sort of makes an example of super short & discrete prongs of the type I tried to describe:

Ring_1.50ct.jpg

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
If you were going to have a "basket" to stabilize the four prongs I would go with the four.

The style of the prongs themselves could make a difference in whether you think they make the round stone look "square" or not. If they were rounded and not very large I wouldn''t think so.

Six is more stable for sure. I have one carat in a four prong (with a basket) and I have had to get it fixed at least twice because I caught the prong on something and felt it loosen the stone. Fortunately the stone never fell completely out but once it was so loose you could spin it around in the stetting. Scary.

My friend had her solitaire knocked right out of the setting by the ball when she was playing tennis. They were able to find it on the court because someone on another court saw it sparkle as it went flying thru the air.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went 6 because I felt it was more protected and actually kind of looks bigger. I also feel that more prongs means it''s more valuable, though I have no idea where I got that feeling.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
A few months ago I had the head of my wedding ring changed to a 4 prong from 6. I loved being able to see more of the diamond but I didn''t like how the head looked. From an angle I liked how you could see three of the four prongs. But from the side, I didn''t like when you could only see two of the prongs. I thought it made the diamond look smaller.

I''m going back to the 6 prong head. I think the 6 prongs make the diamond look bigger and more round. And my jeweler LOVES the 6 prongs for the security they provide.

rms

Brilliant_Rock
all good advice given thus far...

I personally love the look of 4 prongs over six, at least for my e-ring. I have had several people tell me to get the 6 prong for security reasons, after they saw that I only had 4.

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
Voting Results:

10 votes for 6 prong
10 votes for 4 prong.

Hey, its a tie. I guess it is a matter of opinion and what you like.
1.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I have a six prong for security also and I had the jeweler make the prong tips very understated so you don''t even see them--they do not "cover up the stone" whatsoever.

I like the look of both but I tend to be paranoid so 6 prongs it was for me.
1.gif

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ana:

WOW, I like that example of a 6 prong ring. You just made my day - and I am going to take those pictures to the jeweler..

Baltnue:

I believe you missed something with the 10 votes for 4 and for 6. Doesn''t that mean a 5 prong ring out to do well...

To all:

I would like to point out that a 2 sided Semi Bezel is also a good option.

Perry

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2005 7:13:33 PM
Author: baltneu
Voting Results:

10 votes for 6 prong
10 votes for 4 prong.

Hey, its a tie. I guess it is a matter of opinion and what you like.
1.gif
if its a tie go with a 5 prong.
31.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
If it''s a basket setting, then I''m FINE with 4 prongs.

You can barely see the prongs on my 3 stone basket setting because they are so small. And it''s a different look from the side.

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
I was also looking at rings around 0.5 ct at the jewelery store last month and the jeweler recommended the 4 prong but I personally would be too nervous with the 4 prong. The jeweler said that they often get bent or disfigured prongs in for fixing. I''d say go for the 6 prongs and have the jeweler make it so they aren''t too bulky. I don''t think there''s a big difference from the top but from the side the 6-prong does have more metal (obviously). Your best bet is to go to a jewelry store and see what *you* like. good luck!! :)

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
Patty
Check out my 7 prong site: www.sevenprong.com

I think I like the 7 prong best of all, you must agree it is different

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results