shape
carat
color
clarity

30x Loupe

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Hi All - I purchased a 30x loupe so that I could read the AGS number and/or identify the inclusions in my new earrings so that I could tell the difference between the two stones in my earrings. I can see the AGS number, but can in no way read it...it is too small. I can''t make out the inclusions either. Is 30x not enough to see such things? The stones are SI1s so I was expecting to at least be able to see inclusions. Is there a trick to seeing the number or inclusions?

This is the loupe I purchased: https://products.gemappraisers.com/pc-33-1-professional-gem-loupes-10x-20x-30x.aspx

Bosie

Shiny_Rock
Go to jeweler and have them find it with 100x lens of microscope.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Practice helps. 30x is plenty. Hold the lens about an inch away from your eye and hold the stone in a pair of tweezers about an inch away from the lens. Sit up straight so that your head doesn’t shadow the light and it’s easiest with a black or white background. Use your dominant eye but keep both eyes open or it'll give you a headache quickly.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Bosie

Shiny_Rock
Neil
It might be tough with a 30x loupe on a small stone, on a stone 1ct and above, the 30x loupe should do the trick, but the OP said it was earrings, which could be much smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results