shape
carat
color
clarity

3-stone ring... good price?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Icicles

Shiny_Rock
I have been offered a 3-stone ring which consists of a 0.43ct, D, VS2 center, and two natural ruby side stones (eye clean), 0.40ct each. The ring is 14k white gold... would $750 be a good deal?

center diamond specs:

GIA report
color: D
clarity: VS2 (crystal)
table: 58%
depth:61.4%
Medium Girdle
polish: Very Good
symmetry: Excellent
no flour, no culet

I dont have the crown and pavilion angles.

good deal?
1.gif

Icicles

Shiny_Rock
I know this is a small stone, but I was going to remove it and have the diamond set into a pendant. Dunno what to do with the rest of the ring yet. Maybe put in a cz in its place and wear it on my pinky until i get sick of it, and then sell it. Or I can make dangling ruby earrings?

I have another hour to make up my mine before he sells it to someone else. opinions, anyone?

TheDiamondPro

Rough_Rock
Price is fair for the center diamond, especially if moving into a pendant.
2.gif

Consider a nice pink sapphire to highlight the ring....the combination will work with just about any wardrobe and skin type......
saint.gif

Icicles

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 4/12/2004 9:26:47 PM TheDiamondPro wrote:

Price is fair for the center diamond, especially if moving into a pendant.
2.gif

img src="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/saint.gif">----------------

so fair, but not spectacular? I looked up prices here and the most i can get for my money was the same size in G/SI2... I had thought it was a great deal, but since nobody else responded, perhaps not?

I was thinking of possibly switching out the rubies with pink sapphires instead...maybe i'll do that instead of making the center into a pendant.

Icicles

Shiny_Rock
Well, thank you TheDiamondPro for being the only one who commented out of the 50+ who viewed this question.

I just called some jewelers (local and internet), and they told me it's impossible to find something for that price unless the seller's very desperate to sell (which he is), so I will be making the purchase tonight. Cool.. now i'll have something small and dainty to match my engagement ring!

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on your new purchase! But, if I may ask, why are you switching stones? It sounds lovely just the way it is!

TheDiamondPro

Rough_Rock
Congrats!

(Blush)

Check your "Private Messages"!
wavey.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry there wasn't much rush to this thread... The price is very nice. It is not unusual to have stones below 1ct not certified (when the cost of the report would be quite a % of the total price, at least). What can I say... the price of the ring is very tempting, even if it was just for the center stone.

I would not wander too much about why the other half is 'missing' from the total price, maybe just see wether the stone compares favorably for color with a certified D in the same store and check wether it is eye clean ? While such exercise is very imprecise, the respective price would still be ok for the look, I suppose.

In fact, as long as you really like the piece, this is a nice deal anyway.

Icicles

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 4/13/2004 1:45:40 AM valeria101 wrote:

It is not unusual to have stones below 1ct not certified (when the cost of the report would be quite a % of the total price, at least).

I would not wander too much about why the other half is 'missing' from the total price, maybe just see wether the stone compares favorably for color with a certified D in the same store and check wether it is eye clean ?

----------------

The center stone has a GIA report and it's laser-inscribed. i wouldn't have considered it otherwise! And I would hope that a GIA graded VS2 is eye-clean!!
1.gif
It only has a few very tiny crystals, and they're all around the edges, not near the center.

The diamond shows really nice H&A pattern, and the light return is great. I eyeballed the crown and pavillion angles and entered some numbers in the HCA, and it all runs between .8-1.7, so it's great! And the reason why the ring was so cheap is because it's a divorce ring... the guy really just wants to get rid of it, and i'm not superstitious so it works out. he paid over $1800 originally. I think i got a fabulous deal!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 4/13/2004 2:27:21 AM Icicles wrote:

I think I got a fabulous deal!
----------------

Right !

No way a 0.5ct, VS2 will show inclusions.

The original price seem in line with what I thought. Hope to see the traditional picture, of course
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results