shape
carat
color
clarity

3 Stone Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ezl

Rough_Rock
Hi All...

Thanks in advance for any feedback...

I'm narrowing my search for an engagement ring and would appreciate any comments comparing the following 3 stones. I'm new to selecting diamonds so I can look at the stones, run the HCA, etc. but don't really have the "real-world" experience to know which will perform better once the stone is mounted and sitting on a finger.

This first stone was my preference in the store because of the size, color and spread. There was an inclusion on the crown, but I didn't notice it until I saw it under the loup and then could only see it if I looked closely at about 3-4 inches. To my disappointment, though, it scored pretty low on the HCA -- 3. My impression is that the crown angle is kind of shallow.

Note also that I'm planning on a platinum setting, so the color grade should support that...

Price: 13,500
HCA Score: 3
Shape: round
Color: E
Clarity: SI2
Weight: 1.91
Depth: 58.4
Table: 59
Pol: VG
Symetry: VG
Crown: 30.9&
Pavil: 40.2%
Culet: 0.7%
Girdle: Sl. Thick

The following 2 stones were my second and third choices because of the smaller appearance than the first (lower weight, but also less spread) and also the coloration (compared to the E above -- I was viewing them side by side). However, they score much better on the HCA (1.5 and 1.1). I'm wondering if, despite my initial impression, they would actually "perform" better despite the size and color difference and also represent a better value than the stone above. I'm hesitant to hinge such an important decision on the output of an online calculator and would appreciate feedback from folks with more experience at this.

Price: 13,200
HCA Score: 1.5
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Weight: 1.8
Depth: 59.1
Table: 59.9
Pol: G
Symetry: G
Crown: 34.8&
Pavil: 40.2%
Culet: 0.5%
Girdle: Medium

Price: 14,250
HCA Score: 1.1
Color: H
Clarity: VS1
Weight: 1.84
Depth: 59.1
Table: 57.2
Pol: ID
Symetry: EX
Crown: 33.2&
Pavil: 40.3%
Culet: 0.6%
Girdle: Medium

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results