shape
carat
color
clarity

3% size difference worth it?

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
Hello!
Will there be a noticeable size difference if one round brilliant stone has 3% or 1.53mm more surface area than the other round brilliant? Both stones are similar with AGS000 ratings both H color and similar prices.
Here are the measurements of the smaller:
8.77×8.80×5.35mm
and the larger:
8.88×8.91×5.51mm

thanks!
ElleElle

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Noticeable side by side but not so much apart.

Worth it depends on how much you would have to spend on the larger stone.

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
MissGotRocks|1447809969|3951035 said:
Noticeable side by side but not so much apart.

Worth it depends on how much you would have to spend on the larger stone.
Well there isn't a big price difference because the smaller one has better clarity. I guess my question is will I notice the size difference with just a 3% increase in size? Is it worth the small price increase if you can't see the size difference?

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
If it is a small price increase for still eye-clean/mind-clean clarity, then I would. Only because I know I would likely always wonder if I should have done it. But that is just me.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are basically looking at .11 carat weight difference. It won't be huge but having higher clarity might make a difference. It would also depend on the cut of the stones - are you comparing apples to apples or is one better cut than the other?

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
MissGotRocks|1447813962|3951075 said:
You are basically looking at .11 carat weight difference. It won't be huge but having higher clarity might make a difference. It would also depend on the cut of the stones - are you comparing apples to apples or is one better cut than the other?
Actually the clarity is better SI1 (eye clean) in the smaller thank larger (SI2 seller says eye clean). The reason I'm asking is because of course I want the larger one but will the visual difference be worth the small price difference?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is impossible to say without seeing the stats on the two stones. I would be far more concerned with the cut quality than
I would in getting the small increase in size. I would never buy a stone based on size alone and since it is not a significant size increase, I would be very hesitant unless it is equal or better to the cut stone you have.

Are you considering buying this from a private seller or trading with a known vendor?

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
MissGotRocks|1447814845|3951080 said:
It is impossible to say without seeing the stats on the two stones. I would be far more concerned with the cut quality than
I would in getting the small increase in size. I would never buy a stone based on size alone and since it is not a significant size increase, I would be very hesitant unless it is equal or better to the cut stone you have.

Are you considering buying this from a private seller or trading with a known vendor?
Trading with a known vendor and I can see the larger one in person. They are both AGS000. The smaller one is more of a 60/60 and the bigger is more ideal Tolkowsky proportions. Both are H color and no fluor.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then my best advice would be to go see the stone yourself in person. You are in an ideal situation to be able to compare the two stones in person! You may find that you prefer the look of one stone over the other so the size dilemma may be dictated by your personal preference of the stones.

If you go to look at them, we would love to see pictures of the two stones!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I wouldn't spend money on something I wouldn't notice.

I'd save itnor put it towards a higher color, nicer setting, extra band, whatever.

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1447816514|3951094 said:
No I wouldn't spend money on something I wouldn't notice.

I'd save itnor put it towards a higher color, nicer setting, extra band, whatever.
Yeah that's what I'm afraid of, that the size difference is not noticeable enough. Also my stone has an upgrade policy with the jeweler so I can trade in for a larger stone at any time. I'm pretty sure I'd want larger too. Guess I answered my own question!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the stones are side by side I can usually see the difference in diameter of .20mm or >

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
Dancing Fire|1447821085|3951123 said:
If the stones are side by side I can usually see the difference in diameter of .20mm or >
Good to know. thanks Dancing fire!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I would take the better clarity any day with that small a difference in size. But I'd need to see the numbers on that smaller stone, and pictures and ASET would be helpful. I would not consider SI2 in a stone that large.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results