shape
carat
color
clarity

3 carat square diamond eternity band - what e ring? Help!

Californiadreaming

Rough_Rock
Hi - I have a 3ct channel set, square cut eternity ring (sorry don't have the full spec but think 15 pointers). Now I want a solitaire to go with it. Can't go higher than 1 carat though price wise. Is that too small to sit with it (be honest ladies) AND what setting would you suggest. Can anyone show me their pics of similar sized eternity rings and their solitaires?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: 3 carat square diamond eternity band - what e ring? Help

If you hit the 'report concern' button on the right upper corner of your post, you can ask the moderators to move your thread to the Rocky Talky section. That section is more geared towards similar questions and you will get more reactions there. The Show me the Bling section is meant to present finished pieces.

It will be helpful if you post a photo with the band on your hand. Did you already go to several stores to just try what looks best on your hand?

Californiadreaming

Rough_Rock

Hi - thanks for that advice, I will do that. Sorry I'm a bit new to all this! :confused:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No worries and welcome to PS!
I cannot open the link?

SB621

Ideal_Rock

What is your finger size?

Without pictures of the actual ring on your finger I would say a 1ct is too small. Have you gone into a jeweler store to try the look on?

Another option is move your wedding band to your right hand and wear the solitare on your left. Many couples I know do it that way.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think 1 carat is a little small too. Would like to see pictures though.

I think I would use the eternity ring as my engagement ring and put a solid metal band next to it as a wedding band or maybe
put 2 small pave eternities with it(one on either side).

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I wear a three carat (well, 2.87, but who's counting :whistle: ) eternity band of square cuts! Mine are french cuts - I think they measure about the same as carre cuts, not sure how they compare to asschers or princesses, but I'm guessing they're in the same ballpark.

The rule of thumb I've heard is that the tcw of an eternity should be around the same weight as the center-stone of a solitaire for visual balance. I think a three-carat eternity band of rounds would be too much for me - they face up bigger than square cuts - but the square cuts mesh nicely with my solitaire, I think ... it doesn't hurt that my fishtail prong setting, a) ties them together visually with the square shape, and, b) adds a little size.

My suggestion would be to consider either a stone shape that faces up big for its size - an oval or a marquise, set east-west, perhaps - or to get a chunky bezel, fishtail prong, or illusion setting, or a halo, if you go for a solitaire to be worn with the eternity band. Otherwise, I like the idea of wearing them on separate hands and pairing the eternity with a plain band: I do that some days, when I want a "cleaner" look. Could you post some pics of your band, and the kinds of solitaires you're considering?

ps_lightbox_2.jpg

Californiadreaming

Rough_Rock

Thanks for your honest and thoughtful responses.

I will try again to upload image of my ring but I failed earlier!
photo_1_129.jpg

Californiadreaming

Rough_Rock

Circe - wow what a stunning set you have!

Okay - my pic really does not do the ring justice. It has beautiful stones and is sparkly, honestly!

Anyway, I'm thinking another possibility would be to get it reset OR to downgrade it to a 2ct when I purchase my solitare...

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock

Hi OP, are those asschers? What a nice ring, do continue to wear it and love regardless of what you decide for a solitaire :) Would love to see more pics in different lighting when you get a chance. I now it's hard to take good pics of diamonds.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it is a gorgeous band! It is perfect for a stand-alone band, but not really easy to wear with a solitaire e-ring. If it is step cuts, such as carre or asscher, then I'd say an emerald cut or asscher would look really good with it. But honestly, you'd need a huge diamond to balance out a band that large. I would aim for a band 2-2.5mm in width to wear with a 1-2 ct solitaire e-ring.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

THat sounds like a stand alone ring to me. Can you wear it on your right hand? That's what I'd do.

What is your engagement ring budget?

Californiadreaming

Rough_Rock

Thanks so much for your kind comments about my ring - especially since the picture I took was so terrible! As many on here say, the pic doesn't do it justice. The stones are beautiful.

And thanks for your honest opinions.

In answer to questions - my budget for a solitaire ring is approx $5k and yes they are asscher cuts. photo_1_130.jpgphoto_3_87.jpg

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock

Love your band! :love:
I think it's so lovely that you could pair it with a plain wedding band and use it as an e-ring on its own.

An emerald or an oval could give you more spread for the 1ct weight. I think an emerald cut would look great with your band.
Many PS vendors have excellent upgrade policies ( eg. trade in your stone for 100% of it's purchase price towards a larger stone). So whatever you get now could easily grow as time and finances permit.

If you're willing to look on the estate market you could make your budget stretch a bit further
(I went on a shopping trip :bigsmile: )

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-...erald-cut-diamond-ags-j-si1.html#.VBxloRaNbTA

http://loupetroop.com/listings/rings/1-dot-45ctw-deco-diamond-ring-in-platinum

http://loupetroop.com/listings/ring...pear-cut-diamond-and-platinum-engagement-ring

http://loupetroop.com/listings/ring...-cut-ring-gorgeous-vs-star-w-slash-video-star

http://diamondbistro.com/category/2...3-ctw-GIA-Cert-Emerald-Cut-Platinum-Ring.html

http://diamondbistro.com/category/2...-Lowered-101-ct-GSI2-in-halo-14k-setting.html

Californiadreaming

Rough_Rock

Oh wow HopeDream thanks so much for that! I'll look when I'm not on my cell

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results