shape
carat
color
clarity

$2750 CAD Budget...Where Do I Start????!!!!!

chambo

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I have a $2750 CAD budget and have no idea where to start...I have been to approx 6 jewelers and it is quite overwhelming. I kinda know briefly about the 4 C's but prices vary from store to store so I am not confident that I am getting the best ring possible for my budget.

Stores having 50% off sales, sales people saying they can cut the price by 30-40% straightaway doesn't make me feel confident in what I am buying.

Where do I start and how can I be confident in what I am buying?

What would you all suggest for my budget range?

I am looking at a Solitaire diamond, very traditional with a bit of sparkle. I do not want to get a very high setting and my GF is quite active and think it will get caught on things.

Thank you for your help in advance.

arnoldE

Rough_Rock

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm a little confused by your post. Is $2,750 your total budget for stone and setting? As to settings, are you looking for a custom CAD ring or a stock solitaire?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
liaerfbv|1417027448|3790783 said:
I'm a little confused by your post. Is $2,750 your total budget for stone and setting? As to settings, are you looking for a custom CAD ring or a stock solitaire?
$2,750 Canadian dollars.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
2447.50 USD. So his budget TOTAL for both the setting and the center stone is 2500 US.

by Chambo, is that including import duties? Because that's going to cost you. Or is that NOT including import taxes and duties?

Need clarification please.

chambo

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1417034484|3790856 said:
2447.50 USD. So his budget TOTAL for both the setting and the center stone is 2500 US.

by Chambo, is that including import duties? Because that's going to cost you. Or is that NOT including import taxes and duties?

Hi Gypsy and everyone!

My budget is $2750CAD not including taxes etc.

Wow this is much harder than I thought it would be to ring shop haha :wall:

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
chambo|1417192349|3791720 said:

Hi Gypsy and everyone!

dont worry, it's not all that hard after we break it down for u :)

Do you have a preference on the setting metal? white/yellow/rose gold(as low as $200) or platinum(as low as ~$700)?
If you pick a setting metal we can have a better idea of how much is left for the diamond.

What is your color tolerance? as long as it faces up white? H-I? or lower/higher?

Clarity requirement? VS? or are you okay with SI as long as it's eye clean?

Do you need to be able to see the diamond in person first or are you okay with buying online?

have you browsed JamesAllen (having a 25% off sale until cyber monday), Whiteflash, BrianGavin, BlueNile?

Since you're in canada (i am too) i think bluenile's return policy is the best as you dont have to deal with customs etc.

chambo

Rough_Rock
dawnxcui|1417196418|3791742 said:
chambo|1417192349|3791720 said:

Hi Gypsy and everyone!

dont worry, it's not all that hard after we break it down for u :)

Do you have a preference on the setting metal? white/yellow/rose gold(as low as $200) or platinum(as low as ~$700)?
If you pick a setting metal we can have a better idea of how much is left for the diamond.

What is your color tolerance? as long as it faces up white? H-I? or lower/higher?

Clarity requirement? VS? or are you okay with SI as long as it's eye clean?

Do you need to be able to see the diamond in person first or are you okay with buying online?

have you browsed JamesAllen (having a 25% off sale until cyber monday), Whiteflash, BrianGavin, BlueNile?

Since you're in canada (i am too) i think bluenile's return policy is the best as you dont have to deal with customs etc.

Thanks for your time to help out!!

- Setting would be white gold 14k

- SI would be fine, as long as you cannot see anything by eye

- White or whiter would be preferable, ideally not a lot of yellow showing up, I have been looking at F-H colour

- I am okay with buying online.

I just wanted to get the best value for money, I can stretch it to $3000CAD, to be honest my GF feels being engaged is more important than the ring but I still wanted to get something nice.
I did see James Allen but 25% is not off diamonds.

I have browsed through Ritani a lot because they can send it instore with no obligation to buy and that makes me feel a little easier to purchase online.

Thanks again so much for your help!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ritani doesn't offer ASET or Idealscope images.

Here's the information you need to know, to explain why we will make the recommendations to you that we will. Okay?

The entire purpose of faceting a diamond is to reflect light.
How well or how poorly a diamond does this determines how beautiful it is.
How well a diamond performs is determined by the angles and cutting. This is why we say cut is king.
No other factor: not color, not clarity has as much of an impact on the appearance of a diamond as its cut. An ideal H will out white a poorly cut F. And GIA Ex is not enough. And you must stick to GIA and AGS only. EGL is a bad option: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/egl-certification-are-any-of-them-ok.142863/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/egl-certification-are-any-of-them-ok.142863/[/URL]
So how to we ensure that we have the right angles and cutting to get the light performance we want?
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-cut
Well one method is to start with a GIA Ex, and then apply the HCA to it. YOU DO NOT USE HCA for AGS0 stones.
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/holloway-cut-advisor
The HCA is a rejection tool. Not a selection tool. It uses 4 data points to make a rudimentary call on how the diamond may perform.
If the diamond passes then you know that you are in the right zone in terms of angles for light performance. Under 2 is a pass. Under 2.5-2.1 is a maybe. 2.6 and over is a no. No score 2 and under is better than any other.
Is that enough? Not really.
So what you need is a way to check actual light performance of your actual stone.
That's what an idealscope image does. https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/firescope-idealscope
It shows you how and wear your diamond is reflecting light, how well it is going at it, and where you are losing light return. That is why you won't see us recommending Blue Nile, as they do not provide idealscope images for their diamonds. BGD, James Allen, GOG, HPD, ERD and WF do.

The Idealscope is the 'selection tool'. Not the HCA.
So yes, with a GIA stone you need the idealscope images. Or you can buy an idealscope yourself and take it in to the jeweler you are working with to check the stones yourself. Or if you have a good return policy (full refund minimum 7 days) then you can buy the idealscope, buy the stone, and do it at home.

Now if you want to skip all that... stick to AGS0 stones and then all you have to do is pick color and clarity and you know you have a great performing diamond. Because AGS has already done the checking for you. That's why they trade at a premium.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the circular mark/scratch on the surface of the stone's table (visible on the JA motion video)?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP - If your lady has a taste for antique/vintage items, might she appreciate an antique cut diamond? If you're not familiar with the difference, check out the videos to see how they perform ("chunkier" sparkle/flashes).

Here are a couple that have GIA certificates and are in your budget/criteria:

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/under-1-ct/68ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-h-vs1.html#.VHnthkc8KrU

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/under-1-ct/67ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-i-vs.html#.VHnuZkc8KrU

I have bought a few items from Grace, and she is lovely to work with while offering a fair return policy.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
JoCoJenn|1417277520|3792294 said:
OP - If your lady has a taste for antique/vintage items, might she appreciate an antique cut diamond? If you're not familiar with the difference, check out the videos to see how they perform ("chunkier" sparkle/flashes).

Here are a couple that have GIA certificates and are in your budget/criteria:

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/under-1-ct/68ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-h-vs1.html#.VHnthkc8KrU

This is stunning. I would get this one. Lovely.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results