carat
color
clarity

2 new fancy colored diamonds

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I couldn't decide which to get.
0.12 ct Fancy Deep Blue (no color modifiers) per GIA.
0.26 Fancy Intense Green (no color modifiers) VS2 per GIA.

In this pic, and in several other I took, neither stone is color-accurate per my eye.
I'll post more pics later, and I guarantee the color will be all over the place.
I really sympathize with vendors of colored diamonds who try to get accurate pics.

During the sale Leibish & Co. was excellent. http://www.fancydiamonds.net/
I cannot recommend them strongly enough.

both 900c.jpg

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, Kenny - they are spectacular, even if the photo isn't true to colour!! :appl: What are you going to do with them?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For now these two will be adorning the inside of my safe deposit box.

Watch the color fly all over the place, from rich to pale, in the pics I post of the green.
Viewing at different angles and the light hitting the diamond at different angles changes the intensity of the green a great deal.
I've read it a zillion times but now I truly understand you cannot judge the color of naturally colored diamonds with pics.

Notice one of several naturals to the right of the GIA number.

gianumber.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These unattractive brown patches of color are a very good thing.
Hopefully they are mentioned in the comments section of GIA reports for Natural green diamonds.
They are where GIA determines the green color is of natural origin.

The rough unpolished area is called a natural.
It is the original skin of the rough diamond that was intentionally left unpolished.

Green diamonds get their color from radiation stains, either natural or from human intervention.
The staining does not reach far into the stone so examining the original skin is key to verifying the green color is of natural origin.

That's why I find them very attractive.
The more the better.
They help justify the steep price for natural greens.

brnnatural2.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love how the large culet repeats itself outside the girdle. (more on the bottom because the stone was not perfectly centered)
Note the natural at 11:00.

greefaceup1.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The green is a stunning color!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure wish it was 12 ct instead of 12 points. :tongue:

blue800.jpg

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Kenny, a lot of what you said went over my head, lol, but those sure are beautiful stones! Congrats! Just for kicks, you mentioned that these will be going into your safe for now...what other treasures do you have in your safe?? Inquiring minds want to know (and drool!)! :love:

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have a picture of either that you think is close to what your eye sees? I am only curious because I have noticed my stone changes color a lot as well, but I have a few that show the color I see most of the time in average lighting.
ETA: I am sure setting it will change it too! And I totally agree taking pictures of colored diamonds is tough. IMO I needs lots of pics to ge a real idea of what color I might be getting. And even then I have to know that the color I see will vary a LOT! Lighting & angles really seem to change my yellow (not even a fancy) more than any colorless I have ever owned.

I must say I like that shade of green I saw in the last picture you posted. If I could have a stone that color I'd be happy!

The blue is nice, but I admit I like lighter colors myself. But it's all personal taste on that only :)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Notice the culet is at an angle rather than parallel to the table.
Anyone know why?

pav3.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does a crooked culet help the color or reducing windowing?

side side.png

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
kenny said:
Notice the culet is at an angle rather than parallel to the table.
Anyone know why?

ummm, preserve weight? a couple of points? a point or two maybe... it's a green diamond, more points more expensive... ;-) well at least that's what i think...

as far as brown patches in a green diamond go, not all polished green diamonds have brown patches... true a lot of the green, if not most of the green diamonds get their color from the brown patches...

nice toys kenny!

colored diamonds look much much better in person than in pictures... it's very hard to represent exactly what they're all about in pictures as you have experienced kenny... :)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
acebruin said:
as far as brown patches in a green diamond go, not all polished green diamonds have brown patches... true a lot of the green, if not most of the green diamonds get their color from the brown patches...

I have not read this before.
I read the green color is the result of radiation (natural or not) staining a diamond green.

The area near the brown is where evidence of the origin of the green can be found whether natural or not, according to Steve Hofer's huge book on colored diamonds.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
clgwli said:
Do you have a picture of either that you think is close to what your eye sees? I am only curious because I have noticed my stone changes color a lot as well, but I have a few that show the color I see most of the time in average lighting.
ETA: I am sure setting it will change it too! And I totally agree taking pictures of colored diamonds is tough. IMO I needs lots of pics to ge a real idea of what color I might be getting. And even then I have to know that the color I see will vary a LOT! Lighting & angles really seem to change my yellow (not even a fancy) more than any colorless I have ever owned.

THe face up view of the green is very close but the pic is too drab.
The live color is more freshy and minty than in the pic.
Actually right between my avatar and that pic would be about right.

It really really does change color with the light a lot so it is hard to answer the question, "what does it look like in person?"

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
kenny said:
clgwli said:

THe face up view of the green is very close but the pic is too drab.
The live color is more freshy and minty than in the pic.
Actually right between my avatar and that pic would be about right.

It really really does change color with the light a lot so it is hard to answer the question, "what does it look like in person?"
I do totally understand!! It can be hard to describe color in gemstones and particularly diamonds IMO. I think that is a lovely green for sure!

Is the blue pretty consistant or does that change as well? I personally haven't looked much into deep colored diamonds in general but I am very curious how they react to lighting etc.

Lurchie

Shiny_Rock
Ok, but where is the signature Kenny photoshoot?? :cheeky: These are marvelous and the faceting on Mr. Greenie is TDF. Congratulations! Now we need a ton more pics.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations Kenny. I really love that green one but wouldnt kick that blue one out of bed either. Love to see future
plans for them.

How about this men's ring at the bottom of the page for the green one?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/setting_gall ... age_rings/

On second thought another tension would be nice since its on the smaller side.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lurchie said:
Ok, but where is the signature Kenny photoshoot?? :cheeky: These are marvelous and the faceting on Mr. Greenie is TDF. Congratulations! Now we need a ton more pics.

Thanks all.
I'll be taking more pics over the next few days as time allows.

BTW, besides good magnification (that means not just the power of the magnification but high quality optics), one of the keys to seeing or photographing laser inscriptions is positioning the stone, the light and the eye or camera so the inscription is backlit.

I thought I knew a lot about both photography and FCDs, but this is a very surprising learning experience for me.

I am learning (with my eyes) that in real life that FCDs, (Fancy Colored Diamonds) change their color intensity every time you move them, your head or the lighting environment.
Asking if a FCD matches a vendor pic was a simple question to me a few days ago before I got these.
Today I know more and I'm going to give what I consider to be a sincerely true answer.
Yes, if I were to match the lighting, the environment and position this Green FCD can look like that.
In some conditions the green looks even more vivid and saturated than the vendor pic.

I might even go so far to say that there is no such thing as an accurate pic of a FCD.
What FCDs really look like happens over time.

For the record since threads remain here and are searchable and there is not a very large body of FCD info, I'll post their GIA reports.
Notice all the naturals they left on the girdle of the green.
The blue did not get clarity grading, I think GIA does not grade clarity on stones under .15 ct.

GIAblue2.png

GIAgreenTOP2.png

GIAbottomgreen2.png

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I own a couple of small diamonds with the GIA laser inscription. At first I could easily read them under my desk light with a 10x loupe. Then I had the stones set into earrings, and the inscription was still there, but was much more difficult to read. Realistically, I need to get out my microscope to read the numbers now. From my research, I found that initially the inscription has a bit of carbon ash from the laser, which is black. After my jeweler cleaned the diamonds during the setting process, the ash was washed away.

Just saying that your laser inscription looks like mine did when the carbon ash was still there. Still, a very cool shot.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
It is so fun to follow your FCD exploits! :appl: :appl: Can't wait to see more pics. I love the faceting of the green one

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The blue is much prettier in your photo than when you first presented it for purchase. It is not as dark as it first appeared.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys, I'll get more pics as soon as I can.

BTW, look closely on the girdle.
There are 9 little oval shapes that remind me of the bumps on a strawberry.
Does anyone know what those are?
Could they be the result of something GIA does when analyzing the origin of the green color?

Do you guys know of anything during the polishing process that would result in these marks?

I can't image those were on the skin of the rough.
Very mysterious.

culetangle.png

dots.png

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Kenny-if I had to guess, I would say the dots on the girdle are the skin of the rough not polished off to save weight-I will be interested to hear what the experts have to say.

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
That is a great site. Wow. I registered and have a couple of the grey diamonds marked to possibly buy. They are so pretty. Thanks for posting it.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness... that green......

:love: :love: :love: :love:

They're both lovely Kenny, but that green has had my heart since I first saw it weeks back :bigsmile:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Had a little more time with the camera and someone requested some shots on the finger.
More to come later.

Here's the 12 pt Fancy Deep Blue.

Picture 2.png

Picture 4.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And the .27 ct Fancy Intense Green.

Picture 5.png

Picture 6.png

Picture 9.png

Picture 10.png