shape
carat
color
clarity

2.29 ct D SI2 Solitaire or 3 Stone 1.5 ct + 2x 0.7 ct H&A? Thoughts? links to stone pictures inside.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dcsearcher

Rough_Rock
Hey folks -

ok, thank you all again so much for your help on my last post re: the 2.29 D SI2 from BN that I was and am still considering. VERY helpful and I have the stone on hold.

Here''s my next question (and this one might be more about style and taste, but I also think it might be about Quality as well):

For the same price as the 2.29 ct. D SI2 in a solitaire setting, I have found the ability to build a 3 stone ring w/diamonds from GOG.

The diamonds are all H&A''s which look incredibly beautiful, but I''ve never really looked at them before...

Center would be:

Shape: Round
Carat Weight: 1.51ct
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
GIA Cut Grade: Excellent
Optical Symmetry: Superior
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Culet: None
Lab Report: GIA
Lab Report #: 6102063404
In House: Yes
Width: 7.38mm
Length: 7.40mm
Depth: 4.55mm
Table Percentage: 56.40%
Depth Percentage: 61.60%
Crown Ú: 34.50‹
Crown Depth: 15.00%
Pavilion Ú: 40.90‹
Pavilion Depth: 43.20%

LINK: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4882/

Side 1 would be:

Carat Weight: 0.70ct
Color: G
Clarity: SI2
Lab Report #: 17334136
Width: 5.66mm
Length: 5.73mm
Depth: 3.54mm
Table Percentage: 54.50%
Depth Percentage: 62.10%
Crown Ú: 34.90‹
Crown Depth: 15.70%
Pavilion Ú: 40.70‹
Pavilion Depth: 42.90%

LINK =http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4693/

Side Stone 2 would be:

Carat Weight: 0.70ct
Color: G
Clarity: SI2
Lab Report #: 17280528
Width: 5.65mm
Length: 5.69mm
Depth: 3.55mm
Table Percentage: 54.70%
Depth Percentage: 62.50%
Crown Ú: 35.60‹
Crown Depth: 16.10%
Pavilion Ú: 40.60‹
Pavilion Depth: 42.90%

Link: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4694/

FOR reference, the SOLITAIRE stone I was looking at was:

Shape and Style: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 8.42 - 8.46 x 5.23 mm
Carat Weight: 2.298
Total Depth: 61.9%
Table: 56.5%
Girdle Description: Thin to Thick, Faceted
Culet: Pointed
Polish: Very Good
Color Grade: AGS 0 (D)
Clarity Grade: AGS 6 (SI2)
Fluorescence: Negligible
Comments: Additional clouds are not shown.

Table: 56.5%
Crown Angle: 36.0
Crown Height: 15.8%
Girdle: Faceted, 2.0% to 5.3%
Pavilion Angle: 40.5
Pavilion Depth: 42.6%
Star Length: 59%
Lower Girdle Length: 82%
Total Depth: 61.9%
Culet Verbose: Pointed

Questions:

1. What do you all think of a 3 stone vs. solitaire? Her ring size is only 4.5 and she has long fingers, so I''ve heard folks say that 3-stones will not accentuate her long fingers as much...

2. Will H&A diamonds really make that much of a different in how they appear and sparkle?

3. What do you think of the 3 diamonds I''ve suggested here?

4. Is GOG a good and reputable site?

THANKS AGAIN FOLKS... I am getting there
face21.gif
I will make a decision soon !

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Does she like 3-stone rings? I think most women here would prefer a larger solitaire. It''s easy enough to upgrade the setting later if she wants to do that.

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
^yes, what does she prefer......personally I would prefer the solitaire.

alloamie

Shiny_Rock
I wear the same ring size and would take the large solitaire over the 3-stone ring any day!

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I''d rather have the larger solitaire however you''d really need to clarify her preference.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/13/2008 3:52:15 AM
Author: Po10472
Personally I''d rather have the larger solitaire however you''d really need to clarify her preference.
Ditto

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2008 4:17:39 AM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 12/13/2008 3:52:15 AM

Author: Po10472

Personally I'd rather have the larger solitaire however you'd really need to clarify her preference.

Ditto
Agreed. A three-stone engagement ring is a particular taste, like wanting a fancy cut stone instead of the more common round or square stones.

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
My personal preference would be for a large solitaire, for a couple of reasons. First, a solitaire is a classic, timeless style that most everyone will like so it is not as much of a specific taste issue as the 3 stone. Second, a large solitaire gives you and your girl lots of options for wedding bands, changing the setting in the future, etc.

As for GOG, I have no personal experience with them but I have been hanging on these boards for about a month in order to gather info on reputable vendors. There are scores of posts here recommending GOG and I think it would be hard to go wrong with them. From my research, they are among the very top tier of vendors.

dcsearcher

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone - you are all very kind to respond. I''ll do some "nonchalant" probing and see what she says... i really am trying to keep this as a surprise so i don''t want to give too much away!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2008 11:04:07 AM
Author: dcsearcher
Thanks everyone - you are all very kind to respond. I''ll do some ''nonchalant'' probing and see what she says... i really am trying to keep this as a surprise so i don''t want to give too much away!
Even though I also love 3-stone rings, I would give her the larger solitaire now, because you could always turn it into a 3-stone a few years down the road, as an anniversary gift. Even though 1.5 is a really nice big center stone, she''ll be thrilled to be able to tell her friends that her solitaire is over 2 carats! I would prefer the 2 ct solitiare (that''s what I have myself).

For my ering, I was more interested in my DH spending his budget on a big center stone, with a simple setting. But, now that we''ve been married for a few years, we have talked about adding sidestones as an anniversary gift. It''s always easier to upgrade the setting down the line than to upgrade the diamond.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would choose the solitaire, but I''d go to F or G on the color and come up to SI1 or VS2 on the clarity. I think you might see the inclusions at least from the side on a stone that large. Do you have magnified images of the BN stone? If not, I wouldn''t consider it.

dcsearcher

Rough_Rock
DS2006- Thanks for the links. I must say that I too VERY much admired the stone on GOG. wow.

I know there is a difference in size, of course, but how major of a visual difference will there be btw a 1.71 and a 2ct?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results