shape
carat
color
clarity

2.24 Fancy Light Yellow Ashoka vs. 1.59 Vivid Yellow Cushion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

adrianseto

Rough_Rock
Hi, I am new to this forum and need some advice.

I want to buy a natural fancy yellow diamond as engagement ring. I have done a lot of research and know a little bit about the different aspects to judging a diamond. Especially for a color diamond I know that color is very important and really affects the price. However, my problem here is that the 2.24 ct one is Ashoka cut which is VERY rare especially in yellow and quite a fair bit bigger than the vivid which is 1.59. However, the vivid one is truly amazing in color. Which one do I buy? I know it should be one that I think will make my wife-to-be the happiest. However, as you all know its never that easy.

Price:
The Ashoka is US$20,000 which includes setting. I know the jeweler and have negotiated the price as much as possible. I know it will be higher as he has stores and overhead and at the end of the day its a branded but by William Goldberg.

The vivid one is US$24,800 which includes setting. This one I have not negotiated at all and he is an independent jeweler that does not have stores so his pricing should be lower as there is no overhead.

The setting will be the same so it shouldn''t play too much into the price.

I have some information from the GIA reports below.

Here is more info based on GIA reports from both:

Ashoka cut
Carat Weight - 2.24 carat
Natural Fancy Light Yellow
Distribution Even
Clarity VS1
Polish Good
Symmetry Good
Fluorescence Faint

Vivid Yellow Cushion Cut (less info as I do not have copy of GIA but did see it when saw the diamond)
Carat Weight - 1.59
Natural Fancy Vivid Yellow
Distribution Even
Clarity VS2
Fluorescence None

I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions. I know you can''t make up my mind for me but it would be good to hear some opinions to hopefully help me and put my mind at ease when I do decide.

Thanks!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi adrianseto,

Do you know if size is important to her? That might help with your decision. I'm not a real size gal myself, so I would personally go with the one that has the best color. What is the color like on the larger one, is it really noticeable?

adrianseto

Rough_Rock
Thanks Ellen.

I am not sure. I think she would like to have something of a decent size.

The Ashoka Fancy Light Yellow is of course much lighter in color than the vivid. But it does shine a lot more because of the cut and size. Its still noticeable its yellow just not extremely stand out like the vivid and ''in your face''. But I don''t think it would be mistaken as a bad white diamond if that is what you are asking.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have an idea of what color yellow diamond she likes or even if she likes yellow diamonds? I ask because mine is a FLY which I absolutely love. It''s a sunny lemony color. I actually do not like the more intense vivid yellow colors and would never wear one. Has she ever expressed an interest in yellow diamonds? I do know that they are not everyone''s cup o'' tea.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We''d have to see pictures to give you a meaningful opinion. I don''t particularly like deep yellow stones. One that I do like the color of is Catmom''s. I''ll have to look for a link for you.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I love Ashoka cuts, and personally prefer the lighter colors in yellow. Vivid always look too strong to me, but she may have a different preference.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I would go for the Ashoka based on the limited info here.

First, the FLY is beautiful in my opinion; it is much more to my taste than vivid yellow. Sure, the vivid is more rare, but meh, I just don''t care for the color, but FLY is prettier to me. I think it looks better with colored dispersion/fire that a diamond gives off, too. Also, though it might not bug some people, I''d think that the vivid yellow might clash a bit with certain colors of clothing, whereas the FLY would be subtle enough it wouldn''t.

The Ashoka cut sounds beautiful with FLY.

Also the larger size for less $ sounds nice too.

Any way you can go fishing for info and find out what your GF might prefer? It is very much a personal preference thing obviously.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, please get her the ASHOKAAAA! It's such a captivating and rarely seen cut, and as you can see, most women here prefer the fancy light yellows to vivids. They both sound lovely, but the Ashoka is so special, and it does have a size advantage. Please post pics either way.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
My vote is also for the lighter yellow, unless your lady specifically loves the darker yellows. And ditto on checking to make sure a yellow is what she wants.

adrianseto

Rough_Rock
WOW! Thanks for everyone''s feedback! I am so happy to get opinions from the female point of view. I posted on another forum and it was mostly men and I got another set of feedback, mostly more technical. But I am so appreciative to hear more emotional comments from women which is hard to come by! THANKS!!

I do know she likes yellow diamonds and in an antique setting. The only thing I can''t find out is if she likes a light yellow or a more rich yellow. I have attached a photo for everyone to see. This is the actual diamond. Only thing is that I am going to have the jeweler re-set it and make it more round, lose the 4 sharp corners. But it will be in the simliar setting with small white diamonds around it.

Thanks for referring me to Catmom''s post. I guess the color are quite similar. Unfortunately I do not have a pic of the vivid, but imagine a rectagular shape with color like lemon skin.

So far it seems like the Ashoka cut gets the vote. Interested to hear more feedback now that I have posted the pic!

Thanks again... this has been helpful!

post-116643-1224155177_thumb.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, eye candy! It really is beautiful looking, and I''m sure it''s stunning in the sun. I like the existing setting, too, but your redesign also sounds like it will look nice with it too. If you get it for her pleeease post more pics!

I do think it has plenty of yellow color as it is.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do like the color of that stone, but it is pretty elongated. It looks a little more like a right hand ring than an engagement ring to me. I like Catmom''s more cushiony shape better. Can you just look a little more or do you have to choose from these two?

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aww thanks, diamondseeker!!!

adrianseto

Rough_Rock
Thanks. No matter how you look at it its a great ring but I just want it to be perfect for her. You are right that its more elongated. That is the quality of the Ashoka cut. The rough has to be a long shape and of a certain size before they can apply this cut. So you will notice all Ashoka cuts are of this long shape. I think once I have the jeweler round out the edges of the setting it won''t look so long.

I don''t have to choose from these two. I do have other options for slightly less. There are two 1.77 carat cushion cuts in a Fancy Intensive Yellows another jeweler has shown me. They are nice but quite plain compared to the Ashoka cut and this vivid color. Admittedly less expensive by a few thousand dollars.

I also don''t plan on popping the question until Dec so I do have some more time. I guess the ultimate diamond for me would be a Ashoka cut in Fancy Yellow or Intensive Yellow but I am sure those prices would be WAY out of my budget. I have asked the Ashoka jeweler to find me other Fancy Yellows in Ashoka cut and he said they didn''t have any. I even went on Google and searched Ashoka Fancy Yellow Diamonds and nothing comes up. I guess it is that rare!! So that part of my brain tells me to commit.

adrianseto

Rough_Rock
The Ashoka is 10.12 x 6.03 x 3.85mm. I don''t know the measurements for the vivid as I don''t have a copy of the GIA, I only saw the report briefly while viewing the diamond.

diamond_dreamer

Rough_Rock
I think the Ashoka Cut Diamond is extremely beautiful. It is also very special. I personally love Cushion Cut diamond. It supposes to provide a warm feeling.
Personally I think Ashoka is energetic and royal. Cushion is warm and romantic. What do you want her to feel and how do you feel about these two diamonds? Pick one from your heart and I believe she will love it.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
You have two wonderful options. I don''t think you can go wrong. I agree with the poster who said you should go with your heart.

The Ashoka cut does have a nice, soft yellow to it, which might be easier to wear than a vivid yellow, unless your GF is really open to that shade of saturated yellow. If so -- bring it on!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I vote for the Ashoka, with enthusiasm - the cut is rare and unusual, and the Fancy Light Yellow shades are much more pleasing to the eye (or at least, my eye). Gorgeous ring, and great find!

:)

Brilliant_Rock
If I am interpreting you correctly, you are drawn to the color of the vivid 'the vivid is truly amazing in color', and the FLY one you are drawn to the rarity of cut (and perhaps the visible size difference). This is an understandable quandry! They are both quite respectable sizes - neither is too small to be noticed!

IMO, the reason to purchase a yellow diamond is because of the color - a color you are drawn to, and a choice that is very personal. Based on what you have typed I would hands down pick the vivid - the one you noted is 'truly amazing in color' 'color like lemon skin' - YUM!!
I do think the Ashoka is a bit elongated for my personal taste.

(FWIW, I tend to like FLY, fancy intense, and some fancy vivids - I don't tend to be drawn to the orangy ones or the fancy darks or deeps)

ETA: For a yellow diamond, most people are really going to notice the color - not so much the shape/cut. More educated consumers will notice the cut also, but for the majority of the public, no one will know Ashoka from an emerald cut!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Just to confuse you a little further, the Ashoka, while priced very fairly, is (at first glance) not quite the bargain the 1.59 vivid is.

"Vivid" is an extraordinarily rare category of fancy yellow. You don't see it too often.

Then again, you don't see Ashoka's that often either.

Rich, ever helpful...

diamond. md

Rough_Rock
I would choose the vivid yellow especially if it has full grading report. The price for a clean vivid yellow is around $20k so this is a bargain if it is really a vivid VS2 by GIA standard

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results