shape
carat
color
clarity

2.2 carat light pink diamond

K_Lee

Rough_Rock
Please, can I get a reasonable value of my light pink diamond? It is 2.2 carats, round and light pink and I can not see anything with a x30 loupe.
That it's value depends upon the 4 Cs is understood. I don't have the ability to post a photo just now nor to have an appraisal
That being said, I've had this stone for about 8 years, I found it in my closet on the top shelve's support board. The privious 2 tenents, of 4 and 8 years told me it was not theirs. It is so stunningly gorgeous, flawless that I assumed it was fake. Then recently a gal I know asked my help so while I was checking to see if her two dozen stones were genuine I'd check the few I have.
And this is.
I'm still not ready to believe it yet, but in the mean time I'd like to get a good idea on it's value.
Even though I see no inclusions or blemishes and the cut is exquisite, I say 'things like this just don't happen' so, knock it down a few pegs then suggest a value, OK?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Wow. I think that I would be more inclined to find its rightful owner as opposed to what the stone is worth. I know that you said that you contacted the previous tenants, but I'd probably keep searching just because it's such a substantial amount of money.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's a real diamond, not lab-grown, and if the color is the result of nature, not the result of treatment, it's retail value is in the six-figures.
Because of its size, high clarity, and history I doubt it's real.
But because of the possible value I'd do this right.

You need answers to two questions:
1. What is it?
2. What is it worth?

First I'd take it to a jewelry store (I'd feel much less comfortable carrying this into a pawn shop) and ask them to test it.
They can tell you whether it is a real diamond.
For security I'd bring a friend, not let the diamond out of my sight and not give them my true personal information.
If they say it's fake but offer to buy it, run fast because they may be lying. :Up_to_something:

If they say it's a real diamond the next step, after a good stiff drink, is absolutely to have GIA in New York or Carlsbad California grade it.
GIA can answer question 1 more definitively than anyone, but GIA won't touch question 2.
BTW, you don't need to pay a jeweler a fee to send it in for you since GIA deals directly with the public.

Since so much money is at stake I'd travel to GIA and hand deliver it.
If you ship it you'd want to insure it but you can't firmly establish value without a GIA report.
Without proof of value you can't file a successful claim if the shipper loses it.

No matter what any appraiser tells you I would not have it appraised until AFTER GIA grades it.
Why? The appraiser fee is wasted if GIA determines the color is the result of treatment … something the appaiser may not have the knowledge and equipment to determine, especially with certain hues.
FCDS are rare and those with expertise are also rare.

An FCD's value can vary tremendously based on things the average person can't judge by looking at it.
If GIA says there's a pinch of brownish secondary color the value plummets but it's still worth a fortune.
Besides the exact hue, GIA's FCD grading system has nine levels of what they call Tone and Saturation, and again a subtle visual difference can change the value tremendously.

There are other labs and there are appraisers, but no buyer with that kind of budget would touch a 2.2 carat pink diamond without a GIA report and I doubt any insurance company would cut a claim check either.

GIA's fee for grading a 2.2 ct FCD is $254, a drop in what may be a very large bucket.
Keep in mind the retail value is not what you are going to get for it since you are not a retailer and diamonds are not a commodity like gold.
If you sell it yourself you might get from 50 to 80% of retail … if you don't die of a heart attack meeting some stranger at Starbucks.
Speed and dollars are inversely proportional when a private person sells any diamond.
You'd get the most for it by consigning it with a reputable FCD retailer and being very very patient.

http://www.gia.edu/gem-lab-service/colored-diamond

gia_color_8.jpg

screen_shot_2014-04-04_at_10.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with Kenny.
Step 1 - find out whether it is a diamond, a synthetic or something else (simulant or other gemstone).
Step 2 - if it checks out as diamond, send it to GIA to find out the treatment. Treated, it isn't worth much. Untreated, it is worth a lot but I would only trust GIA to have the right tools and experience to make that call.
Step 3 - If GIA says it's untreated, then they will give you a colour grading, which is what essentially sets the price or value of the stone.

Zozye

Rough_Rock
Step 4) come back to price scope and tell us what ends up happening good or bad!

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock
You can buy a diamond tester for $9.99 on ebay or Amazon just to have before you send it to GIA :loopy:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think what strikes me as the most odd thing in this story is that you have a potentially VERY valuable item, and it has just sat there for EIGHT years and you never were curious enough to get it checked out until now???

If it is real, I am not sure you can trust just anyone to tell you the truth. If you are in a city with an independent appraiser, that is where I'd go to get it checked out, and I would not leave the stone. If you go to a jeweler to get it checked, please go to the most high end jewelry store in your city as they probably are accustomed to doing appraisals on valuable items, and again, do not leave the stone.

If anyone thinks it is real, I'd hand carry it to GIA and do the one day service (I believe that is an option???). You will really not be able to properly insure it until it is graded.

That said, the chances that it is real is small. But I think you have done your duty checking back through the last two tenants. However, I am not sure, but if you do not own the property, I suppose it could legally belong to the owner of the property.

Please go to your safe deposit box and take some pictures for us, though!!! We want to see it! And please come back and tell us the end of the story!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw man, all I ever find in places I've moved is old cable boxes.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who weighed the stone for you?

Is it sparkly like diamond, not like pink quartz, pink sapphire or pink tourmaline gemstone like?

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Well, for sure this is a story and honestly I find it to good to be true, not to say it cannot happen, of course it can but once in a million years, like who would be stupid enough to leave a 2.2. ct fancy pink diamond and then not claim it or look for it. Also this diamond is not new and I think such large pinks were not exactly common back then, not to say they are now.

Several things come into my mind; yes you sat on it for 8 years and not checked it and now you checked it but when you say you helped a friend determine what it is you found out yours is real as in diamond, how exactly have you tested it? Diamond tester? Not sure I would recommend a cheap one that does not test everything (and to add sometimes FCDs will test not diamond, ok I have only had this happen once with a big black that tested metal.:))) That said if you used a diamond tester and it tested diamond there is a good chance it is but it does not prove the origin of color which is extremely important in this case.

Also, if you have not used a diamond tester what makes you think it is a diamond and not a much more common colored gemstone? I too am inclined to think it is something else without knowing more details like how exactly it was tested. I have my doubts... but am very curious what comes out of this. So if you indeed tested it and it tested diamond then yes by all means handcarry it to GIA first and foremost to get a report on the origin of the stone and the color. Go from there. If it does test natural diamond of natural color then you need an appraisal for sure and insurance as well.

If it was really left at a rental unit, I am not sure what else could be done to locate its rightful owner but again the fact that not one person claims this stone makes me think we are not talking about a natural pink diamond. By all means keep us posted please.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bump.

K_Lee, what are your thoughts/plans based on the feedback here?

… or … was this an April Fools joke?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results