shape
carat
color
clarity

2.00 CT Princess Cut: Which one is better?

justslide

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone,

This is my very first post, and wanting to get an expert opinion! Out of these two, which one is the better investment?

I like both of these, however the 2.04 H/SI1 appears to be the bigger diamond by its measurements, and the inclusions are on the edges, not the center. The 2.00 H/VVS1 has better clarity, but is small in measurements by .17mm x .17mm, which one is a better deal? They are both about 13.5. Both are GIA.

Diamond #1

2.04 CT Princess Cut
Cut: Excellent
Color: H
Clarity: SI1
Lab Name: GIA
Depth: 70.80
Table: 71.00
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: TN-STK
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Ratio: 1.01
Measurements: 7.09x7.04x4.99

2_177.jpg

Diamond #2

2.00 CT Princess Cut
Clarity: VVS1
Depth: 72.60
Table: 69.00
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: STK-TK
Measurements: 6.92x6.87x4.99

2_178.jpg

Please help me out! I have been pulling my hair trying to decide which diamond is the better bet!

Thanks in advance for all your input!!

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Cut is the most important thing and we don't have any info related to that here.

If you aren't able to get ASET / Idealscope for these stones, it will be impossible to make a decision.

The issue is that GIA does not issue a cut grade for princess stones. For that, you will need to find an AGS-certed stone.

Compare it to this stone, which has been graded as AGS 0 - Ideal for light performance:

2.036ct, H, VS1
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2790072.htm

justslide

Rough_Rock
I don't have a picture of the 2.04 yet, as they are going to come Monday.

However, here is a picture of the 2.00 (Diamond #2)

2_180.jpg

Thanks!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi justslide,
Welcome to Pricescope!
My first comment is the purchase of a diamond as a financial "investment" is going to take you down a bad path.
The investment is in yourself and enjoyment.
When consumers try to sell diamonds they loose money.

In terms of choosing between the two diamonds, I agree with Julie, you'll need pictures to even begin knowing the difference.....

It's true that AGSL does grade the cut of princess cut diamonds, however it's very important that you look at both AGS as well as non AGS graded diamonds. The AGS0 cut grade is an acquired taste. Some people love it, some not.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
justslide|1413481618|3768032 said:
Hello Everyone,

This is my very first post, and wanting to get an expert opinion! Out of these two, which one is the better investment?

I like both of these, however the 2.04 H/SI1 appears to be the bigger diamond by its measurements, and the inclusions are on the edges, not the center. The 2.00 H/VVS1 has better clarity, but is small in measurements by .17mm x .17mm, which one is a better deal? They are both about 13.5. Both are GIA.

Diamond #1

2.04 CT Princess Cut
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 70.80
Table: 71.00
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: TN-STK
Measurements: 7.09x7.04x4.99

2_177.jpg

Diamond #2

2.00 CT Princess Cut
Clarity: VVS1
Depth: 72.60
Table: 69.00
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: STK-TK
Measurements: 6.92x6.87x4.99

2_178.jpg

Please help me out! I have been pulling my hair trying to decide which diamond is the better bet!

Thanks in advance for all your input!!
Like others have said, there is not enough information on a GIA report of a princess cut to inform about crucial light performance aspects. As far as the clarity goes, I would caution you about this particular Si1. The clarity grade is based upon feathers of which there are several. Generally feathers don't overly concern me, but in princess cuts the corners are the most vulnerable areas. If they are compromised by certain clarity features, they become more of a risk both for setting and to some extent during wear.

I looked the stone up on the GIA report check site and pulled up the cert. Below is a blown up shot of the pavilion side plot. As you can see, one of the feathers is located right at one of the tips (lower right). In my opinion, this is likely to reduce durability of this stone.

feather_in_corner_0.png

If you are interested in learning more about princess cut grading at the labs you might find this article useful:
http://www.pricescope.com/journal/ags-laboratories-diamond-cut-grading-princess-cut

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree that it's crucial to inspect the corners of a princess cut.
There are certainly imperfections at the corners of some princess cuts that give me great pause.
However I would not feel comfortable saying such a mark on a GIA report indicates a likelihood of a problem, rather a possibility of a problem.
The reason is that I've seen marks on a GIA plot that looked horrendous, while the actual imperfection in the diamond was no problem, and vice versa.
Plots are generally pretty bad at conveying 3D realities of imperfections in my experience.
Also, the number of imperfections noted, and the clarity grade (SI1) point to the possibility that each of these imperfections are minor unto themselves.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results