shape
carat
color
clarity

1ct bridal set for $986?

jjbean

Rough_Rock
So this mall is one of the biggest in the country but this store is so darn tiny and owned by chinese. Not that i have anything against chinese...anyway its supposed to be 1.03ct 14k gold princess cut bridal set. The tag said 2200 and reduced to 1100 but the owner was willing to give me 20%off of reduced Price. It comes with two yr warranty. My question is...does this look like a real diamond without any enhancement or treatment? is it worth the buy?

1425632236933.jpeg

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Its cheap an cheerful personally I am not a fan of invisible set stones :angryfire:

nojs

Shiny_Rock
The center seems to be made of four smaller princess stones, and 1 ct is probably total carat weight. Which totally different from one 1 carat princess diamond (which you won't get for anywhere near $986). I don't think anyone can give you information about treatment based on photo, however it is more likely that the small stones are untreated lower quality diamonds than treated ones. I hope experts will come along to comment :)

jjbean

Rough_Rock
I just read an ararticle about invisible set rings...not very happy about it...so this ring doesn't seem to be set smoithly and properly according to that article...nvm the diamon quality but just the setting itself doesn't seem to be done correctly...am i right? Does it look like the diamond will fall off easily? Darn it...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jjbean|1425635938|3842697 said:
I just read an ararticle about invisible set rings...not very happy about it...so this ring doesn't seem to be set smoithly and properly according to that article...nvm the diamon quality but just the setting itself doesn't seem to be done correctly...am i right? Does it look like the diamond will fall off easily? Darn it...

I would not buy someone a quad set ring unless she specifically asked for one. Many people consider them tacky, and that would be the worst if your gf felt that way.

Also in general the setting is very 90s, and the center diamonds don't look like good quality. Though I can't comment on if they are enhanced. Did your girlfriend express a desire for a setting like that or are you just working with a small budget?

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
Most women would prefer a smaller solitaire than an illusion set diamond(that's the four princesses clustered together to look like a bigger diamond). I'd definitely pass on this ring. If you have a price range in mind, you can post looking for suggestions and people will help you find a really nice ring that will hold it's value more and be classically beautiful.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a fan...but what is your budget? People around here tend to go with better quality, smaller stones when on a tight
budget.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I'm not a fan of the quad center stone (4 smaller stones set to look like 1 large stone). I know it's just personal preference, but those illusion-type stones aren't fooling anyone, which is what I don't particularly like about them. I would keep searching if I were you - best of luck to you:)

jjbean

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone. I'm actually the wife picking out my own ring for our 3 yr anniversary...i obviously know nothing about diamond lol oy i will pick sonething else...our budget is around 1200

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
Horrible, do not purchase! Small diamonds adding up to 1 carat in weight are worth much less than a 1 carat diamond. I bought an eternity ring with 1 carat of diamonds for $200 on Ebay last year. $1000 is not a good deal.

You can do great on the re-sale market with a budget of $1000. This ring is listed for $1100 but you could offer $950 and that might get the deal done:

https://www.idonowidont.com/diamonds/beautiful-round-brilliant-white-gold

0.75 carat center, some extra diamonds on the side, pretty 18k gold setting, buyer originally paid over $4500 (which is crazy, but whatever). I'm certain it's actually an I1, but for the price it's still reasonable. Cheap but credible ring.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure what Chinese owners have to do with anything but moving on...

If you really want a BIG look (~3 carats) for relatively little money, if you could stretch your budget and see about negotiating, JewelsbyGrace has a MUCH nicer illusion set: http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/rings/estate-modern/1-00tcw-princess-cut-diamond-mosaic-solitaire#.VPnuYvnF98E

David Atlas appraised it saying the stones have an excellent appearance. David Atlas is a highly respected appraiser.

Personally, I would just go for a pre-loved solitaire ring but you haven't really told us what your preferences are.

I'm not sure about the ring danielxlin posted...the stone doesn't look well-cut. FWIW, A well cut stone will appear bigger and brighter than a mediocre cut stone.

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
For $900 you have to live with imperfection. This is a good sized diamond in a nice setting. Credible finger coverage for the price.

PS-approved alternative: ideal cut tiny diamond. OP may be able to find a wellcut 0.35 carat diamond for $900. Then he has to buy a setting for this tiny diamond.

I think he'll be happier going my route.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jjbean|1425664469|3842881 said:
Thank you everyone. I'm actually the wife picking out my own ring for our 3 yr anniversary...i obviously know nothing about diamond lol oy i will pick sonething else...our budget is around 1200

Would you consider something "preloved". Your dollars can go a lot further.

Otherwise, this is what I could find on-line...
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/0.57-carat-f-color-i1-clarity-sku-461065 ask if eye-clean

This setting...
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/14k-white-gold-2mm-knife-edge-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-7115

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
If you let people know what you like, they can help you look for what you want. People on this site do a really great job at that and are happy to do it.
Here are a few places I would look: mydiamondzone on eBay, loupetroop.com, and diamondbistro.com. I saw a cute princess cut ring on loupetroop and even though the asking price is above your budget, you can always make an offer and see what they say. http://loupetroop.com/listings/rings-natural-diamond-center/beautiful-0-dot-45-princess-cut-solitaire-see-pics-and-videos

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
Nevermind, going in the wrong direction. Most bridal sets aren't going to look great at this end of the budget.

What about an eternity ring? ID Jewelry could make you a spectacular 1.54 carat F color eternity ring that can complement, rather than replace, your existing engagement ring. Ours cost $1200.

Or a pair of 1 carat stud earrings? $1200 also possible.

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
daintyG|1425667582|3842916 said:
If you let people know what you like, they can help you look for what you want. People on this site do a really great job at that and are happy to do it.
Here are a few places I would look: mydiamondzone on eBay, loupetroop.com, and diamondbistro.com. I saw a cute princess cut ring on loupetroop and even though the asking price is above your budget, you can always make an offer and see what they say. http://loupetroop.com/listings/rings-natural-diamond-center/beautiful-0-dot-45-princess-cut-solitaire-see-pics-and-videos

I second daintyG's suggestion.

There is always a premium on getting brand new stuff. So if you don't mind preloved, you can get something really beautiful within budget. I think the princess diamond on the loupetroop listing is really really classy and lovely and timeless.

don't let these Chinese sellers talk you into this!! (I am Chinese so yah, I can talk 'bad' about my own kind can't I? LOL)

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
danielxlin|1425666798|3842909 said:
For $900 you have to live with imperfection. This is a good sized diamond in a nice setting. Credible finger coverage for the price.

PS-approved alternative: ideal cut tiny diamond. OP may be able to find a wellcut 0.35 carat diamond for $900. Then he has to buy a setting for this tiny diamond.

I think he'll be happier going my route.

Please read the post she is a female buying herself a ring :wall:

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
Sphene: OP revealed her wifeness and I wrote my post at roughly the same time. But the emoticon is cute! :clap: :dance: :naughty: :loopy:

LondonGal

Rough_Rock
That's actually an excellent price for the set compared to what I've seen in stores here in the UK. Though if you want an honest opinion, I'm not a fan.

A friend was so excited to call me saying she'd just got engaged and her fiance had bought her a "massive" 1ct ring. When we finally met up she held up her hand, it took all my Oscar-winning abilities to keep a smile on my face and tell her it looked lovely. I know that sounds awful, but her fiance had paid a lot of money (I nearly fainted when she told me how much!) for something that would be of great sentimental value to them both, but would probably end up losing one of the stones sooner or later. But the store did sell an extra warranty to cover for that eventuality (for an extortionate cost!).

I'm disgusted with the lengths these stores are going to to sell "stones" over the 1ct mark to the average consumer who just hears the magic number. I was wandering through one of the UK's biggest jewellers a few weeks ago when an assistant came over and started waxing lyrical about their own brand wedding sets (I was wearing gloves or she'd have seen my set and not bothered. To be fair, I was scrutinising, but not in a good way). She offered to let me try on a few, all the while spouting about the 4C's and how most diamond shoppers don't realise how important the quality of a diamond is. I pointed out the 4 x .25ct isn't really a 1ct stone and she argued that as long as the total weight was advertised as such, it was! When I asked her take on the clarity C in the 4C's, she said that the highest they had in store, under that brand was their "exceptional" I1. I asked how much a single one carat vs2 H would cost and was told that only "film stars and really rich people" could afford a diamond like that!

There were two couples sat at their special little podiums buying wedding sets and it was all I could do not to go up to them and point them to my local independent, 300 yards away (but set out of the main shopping mall) who could sell them some really good diamonds, new, s/h, old cut or modern in their price range judging by what I'd seen under the glass there.

Edited to add that I love the Moi et Toi ring, too. Having said that, I'm an old-cut lover. Whenever I've worn my OMC I'm asked if it's real with most adding they're not fussed on the cut when I've explained it's an oldie. My Tranny gets a lot of :love: though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results