shape
carat
color
clarity

18kt Yellow Gold vs 20/24kt Yellow GOld

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't want to hijack a different thread so I thought I'd put my questions elsewhere.

I have lots of 20kt and 24kt yellow gold. I've recently purchased a few 18kt yellow gold jewelry. Common sense tells me that the purer the gold, the softer it is too, so why does my 18kt yellow gold have more scratches, nicks and dents than my 24kt pieces?

My 24kt jewelry just get a little out of shape but they retain the design/pattern and continue to sparkle. My 18kt yellow gold jewelry just looks scuffed and very worn.

What is going on? Is this because of the alloys? I have rings, earrings, pendants and more in 24kt gold (stamped on the jewelry so I know it's real and pure) but they seem to retain more "sparkle" than my 18kt stuff.

Edit
Whoops. Posted this in the wrong forum. Looks like I'll have to move this to the Diamond Hangout.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results