shape
carat
color
clarity

18K White Gold With Palladium -- Rhodium Plated Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ideal_emerald

Rough_Rock
I''m just in the process of purchasing a ring from Whiteflash (a 3-stone EC, see my other thread if you would like details). I''ve asked for nickel-free 18K WG with palladium alloy due to my gf''s sensitive skin. The ring has been cast and I have just been informed that the ring will be rhodium plated.

I''ve seen many times on PS that the WG palladium alloy is one that will be fairly white without the rhodium plating and most people have not had plating applied. Are there any negative consequences of having it rhodium plated? Is this normal?

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I noticed no one had responded. I''m not an expert, so I would ask Whiteflash. But, it''s pretty standard to Rhodium plate white gold. I had heard that white gold alloyed with Palladium was certainly "whiter," but remember, there is no such thing as ''white'' gold. It''s yellow gold, mixed with another metal. Perhaps, even white gold alloyed with Palladium still has some residue yellow tint? If you are concerned about this, why not just spend a little extra and get the ring in Platinum to begin with. Platinum is white through and through and there''s such a wonderful quality to the feel of platinum (IMHO).

Perhaps some metal expert will chime in, but I''d certainly discuss this with the fine folks at Whiteflash.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Rod's answer is good. A platinum ring will need to be taken in for repolish after some time, depending on the ring and wearer; some people have this done regularly, some people never have it done. Similarly, rhodium may need to be replated. This is simply and quickly done - as is a repolish.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results