shape
carat
color
clarity

14K vs. 18K rose gold

C.P.

Rough_Rock
Hi, everyone. Been heavily lurking for months but finally joined in order to ask a few burning questions. :)

First up: I'm looking into a rose gold setting and I understand there is typically a color difference between 18K rose gold and 14K rose gold. Does anyone have any side-by-side pictures that would help me see the difference more clearly? Thanks to anyone that can help.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't have any photos but I have also been told that 18K is a paler rose compared to the 14K

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ditto SC - there can be significant variation in colour even within the same karat composition.

littlemissmango

Rough_Rock
Rose gold alloys can vary greatly in their shade of "rose," but for me it was important to know the basic principles of gold purity to figure out what I wanted, i.e., 18k gold means 18/24ths gold, or 75% gold and 25% other metals. Those "other metals" will include copper when it is rose gold, that is what helps give it the red tone. So, if you want a "rosier" (pinker) rose gold, opt for 14k, which will mean less yellow color and more red. Take a look at Brian Gavin's 18k as shown on their site, versus their 14k (which I find to be perfect) in these pieces:
viewtopic.php?t=137719
viewtopic.php?t=130034
show-me-the-ring/pretty-in-pink-bgd-5-stone-u-prong-t140376.html

C.P.

Rough_Rock
littlemissmango said:
Rose gold alloys can vary greatly in their shade of "rose," but for me it was important to know the basic principles of gold purity to figure out what I wanted, i.e., 18k gold means 18/24ths gold, or 75% gold and 25% other metals. Those "other metals" will include copper when it is rose gold, that is what helps give it the red tone. So, if you want a "rosier" (pinker) rose gold, opt for 14k, which will mean less yellow color and more red. Take a look at Brian Gavin's 18k as shown on their site, versus their 14k (which I find to be perfect) in these pieces:
viewtopic.php?t=137719
viewtopic.php?t=130034
show-me-the-ring/pretty-in-pink-bgd-5-stone-u-prong-t140376.html

Thank you. That is so helpful. I understood the basics of the metal composition but was having a hard time finding good pics for comparison. These links are just perfect for that. It is quite a significant difference to my eyes.

Cabochon1

Shiny_Rock
Description of first pic including some yellow gold for reference. Second pic is the same but yellow gold rings not included.

upper left= 18k very light rose gold
upper right= 10k rose gold
middle(back of watch)= old 14k rose gold
middle (little ball clasp) modern 14k rose gold
lower left= very light colored 14 k yellow gold
lower right =18k yellow gold

The upper left ring was made in a semi custom alloy of 18k rose gold. 18k rose gold can also be more pinkish.

I don't know how this is in the US but here in Germany most goldsmiths/benchpeople offer various alloy-colors

roseandyellow.jpg

rosegoldcomparison.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a fantastic pic cabochon - thank you for posting it! The colour difference is - stunning in the photo, do you feel the colours are so disparate IRL?

Cabochon1

Shiny_Rock
yes the colors in the photo come very close to reality. But I think that my 18k rose gold ring is really a pink gold ring. Meaning 750 parts gold, 210 parts copper and 40 parts silver, whereas a regular rose gold ring should have 750 parts gold and 250 parts copper.

As I said if one goes custom there should be many different alloys available. If one orders somewhere sight unseen, it would probably be advisable to inquire which mixture was used exactly.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cabochon|1307886407|2943987 said:
yes the colors in the photo come very close to reality. But I think that my 18k rose gold ring is really a pink gold ring. Meaning 750 parts gold, 210 parts copper and 40 parts silver, whereas a regular rose gold ring should have 750 parts gold and 250 parts copper.

As I said if one goes custom there should be many different alloys available. If one orders somewhere sight unseen, it would probably be advisable to inquire which mixture was used exactly.

I've found that if you're going custom it's easy enough to ask the vendor - I had no luck finding out the exact composition of a ready-made piece I was looking into though! Some vendors are more willing to poke their manufacturers than others..

stlc

Rough_Rock
Hey!
I know this is an older post but wanted to find out from C.P. or any other one of you pricescope members who went with Brian Gavin's rose gold route :lickout: , if any of you were able to find out what composition Brian Gavin uses in his 14K rose gold or his 18K?
His really seems to really bring in that 'pink' element in such a beautiful manner.
I wonder if its his sneaky trade secret or he is forthcoming about it :read:

Thank you for this post!
That pic you posted Cabochon, is really amazing.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I'm a huge fan of BGDs rose gold too and would love to know the combo but Im guessing it may not be easy to get hold of. :( I'd love to hear too if anyone knows.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
C.P.|1281376546|2674150 said:
First up: I'm looking into a rose gold setting and I understand there is typically a color difference between 18K rose gold and 14K rose gold.

I recommend you take a look at this thread, although it may be a little bit more than you wanted to know!

Thread on Gold Alloys...[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gold-alloys-and-strength-durability-discuss.189026/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gold-alloys-and-strength-durability-discuss.189026/[/URL]

The terms, "rose", "red", and "pink" gold are not metallurgical, gemological, or scientific terms and they are used differently by different jewelers and artisans in different countries and within any given country. An 18K alloy will, naturally, have a small amount more gold in it than a 14K alloy, but which will be redder may depend on which has more copper in it. There are other metals that can be mixed into a gold alloy with the copper and the gold. The ratio of copper to the total amount of metal will affect how red it is.

Deb
:wavey:

stlc

Rough_Rock
Christina...|1375660588|3496605 said:
I'm a huge fan of BGDs rose gold too and would love to know the combo but Im guessing it may not be easy to get hold of. :( I'd love to hear too if anyone knows.

Agreed! Hope someone out there might have been able to sparkle the info outta them :Up_to_something: :bigsmile: heehee

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results