shape
carat
color
clarity

14K Nickel White Gold vs 18K Nickel White Gold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ribbon Ring

Rough_Rock
I am likely going to end up going with a 14K white gold setting. Here''s why:

- 14K white gold, due to more alloys, is slightly whiter than 18K white gold

- some say 14K white gold, due to more alloys, is stronger and therefore more durable than 18K white gold; but due to the difference mixtures of alloys in each there is some debate about that (see point below)

- 14K white gold has more alloys but actually has considerably less nickel than 18K white gold; since nickel causes at least a mild reaction over time in as many as 1 in 8 people the affect should therefore be less pronounced in 14K white gold than 18K white gold (though the lower nickel content is also why some say 14K gold is less or no more durable than 18K)

- 14K white gold is slightly cheaper than 18K

For me the deciding factors were the whiter colour of 14K white gold and the lower chance of a reaction to the nickel. Palladium white gold is another option, but it was harder to find in North America and it actually has some of its own problems; so my analysis is strictly on nickel white gold. (I wonder if the higher prevalence of 18K gold in Europe is also why they have stricter rules regarding nickel content in white gold; that is, 18K white gold has a higher nickel content and therefore may create more problems.)

How is my logic/analysis?

Ribbon Ring

Rough_Rock
I've attached some photos I've collected comparing white golds and platinum. There are all sorts of problems with something like this, not the least of which is variance in lighting, camera settings, etc. It's only meant as a guide to help other PSers.

White Gold Comparisons.jpg

Erik Carlson GG

Rough_Rock
Trade
I love the pictures showing the different colors of metals thanks for sharing!

It is my understanding that 18k white gold is harder and/or stronger than 14k white gold.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/15/2009 11:28:51 PM
Author: Erik Carlson GG

It is my understanding that 18k white gold is harder and/or stronger than 14k white gold.
In most alloys 14K is harder to bend (but can be brittle) than 18K

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I assumed that 18k had less nickel than 14k because 18k had a lesser percentage of alloy to gold, no?

In my experience, all the 14k rings I wear turn my finger green but none of my 18k rings do. I wonder why?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2009 4:08:41 AM
Author: shimmer
I assumed that 18k had less nickel than 14k because 18k had a lesser percentage of alloy to gold, no?

In my experience, all the 14k rings I wear turn my finger green but none of my 18k rings do. I wonder why?
copper turns your finger green if your body chemistry reacts to it.
There is more copper in 14k than 18k

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would only get 18k white gold with palladium alloy. In my opinion, fine jewelry should be in 18k gold or platinum.

Ribbon Ring

Rough_Rock
"I assumed that 18k had less nickel than 14k because 18k had a lesser percentage of alloy to gold, no?"

Actually, although 14K gold (white or otherwise) has more alloy than 18K, 14K white gold typically uses less nickel than 18K white gold (though again, it has more alloy in general). Also, I don't believe that 14K white gold has any copper.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it's your choice, but my 18K white gold set is far whiter than any of my 14K white gold rings. The 14K white gold rings have required rhodium plating, the 18K still looks brand new over a year later. I don't know the alloy used for mine, it is a Beverley K set. I prefer very white metal with no patina.

Ribbon Ring

Rough_Rock
I don''t have any experience with white gold, actual experience that is. But I wonder if it may be too early to judge your 18K white gold. The rhodium plating should last between 18 to 36 months, though there can be variance for a lot of reasons. So at this point you should still be seeing the rhodium and not yet seeing the white gold.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, my 18K WG ring is newer. However, the 14K WG setting I had for just over 6 months required rhodium plating in that shorter time frame, and it still doesn''t look as white. It may very well have to do with the alloys used in Beverley K designs, I don''t know. I''m very fussy about seeing a yellow tint coming through, so I''m more likely to have something plated earlier than most people maybe. I find that 14K wg tends to look more like stainless steel sometimes. It''s hard to describe a "perceived" colour tint reallly.

Ribbon Ring

Rough_Rock
That''s interesting and surprising, because from what I have read (and that obviously can be different from reality) if you properly plated a 14K white gold ring it should look exactly the same as a properly plated 18K gold ring in the beginning. That''s because you don''t see any of the gold, only the rhodium. In fact, it shouldn''t make a difference if it was platinum or silver underneath, you still shouldn''t be able to tell the difference.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2009 11:46:43 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Date: 5/15/2009 11:28:51 PM
Author: Erik Carlson GG

In most alloys 14K is harder to bend (but can be brittle) than 18K
Garry H, why is 14K more brittle than 18K? Does that mean that 18K over time is more resilient as an engagement ring? Is it better to have an 18K engagement ring if the wearer goes to the pool a lot or does things with chemicals or it doesn''t really matter? On the same note, if the wearer is fairly active and doesn''t work with or around a lot of chemicals, would a 14K engagement ring be ok then? I''m helping a friend make a decision between a 14K or 18K engagement ring and he wants to make sure he gets the best ring for his future FI.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results