shape
carat
color
clarity

10X Loop

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
local coin/stamp shop.
I bought a duel 10x, 15x for 14.95
Not the best but works for spotting inclusions and the 15x comes in handy at times.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Does the price matter that much? My jeweler was telling me that most loupes are $15-20. The fancy ones hit $25. Then there''s some super expensive one that hits $125 or something like that and his pride and joy was some German one that retails for $375.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, you do get what you pay for.
the $10 loupe is rubbishy, the $20 is much better and from there up the improvements are valid for VVS to flawless inclusions.

My loupe has a very wide field of view and has great optics - It is a chinese copy of a >>$100 German loupe.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I bought a VVS2 stone. Will the $20 loupes work or do I really need to go up to those $100+ ones to see the inclusion?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Depending on how visible the inclusion in a VVS2 stone, you may not be able to see it at all with any loupe, no matter how good it is. It might require expert eyes and a microscope to initially spot a VVS2 inclusion. Then again, it might not be impossible to see a VVS2 located in just the right spot with a cheap,or poor quality loupe.

The relatively inexpensive loupe Garry Holloway sells through my office is one that compares with loupes in the nearly $300 range. Price does not always guarantee the best value at the top or the bottom of quality. I also sell a less costly loupe for about $15. It too, it totally adequate for normal use. Just don''t buy one of the junk ones for $2 to $10 that are flogged at most places based on price alone. You should get one that is Achromatic and Aspherical. This means the loupe is made not to distort the image and does not put a rainbow of color near the edges. Good loupes all share these two characteristics.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results