shape
carat
color
clarity

10 to 13 on Total Budget

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

thirdcoast

Rough_Rock
I need some help here. i''m looking to take the plunge and have seen several threads, however I want to set this with two baguettes in platimum. All and any advice in appreciated. I want the largest, whitest stone availabe, but the bigger the better..of course..if it makes sense. Thanks! How much do you normally pay for the extras (baguettes and Plat?)

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/12/2005 2:18:48 AM
Author:thirdcoast
I need some help here. i''m looking to take the plunge and have seen several threads, however I want to set this with two baguettes in platimum. All and any advice in appreciated. I want the largest, whitest stone availabe, but the bigger the better..of course..if it makes sense. Thanks! How much do you normally pay for the extras (baguettes and Plat?)
Thirdcoast:

In general anything in platinum start with $1000 working your way up.

Baguettes=The price will vary depending on size and quality which will add to the cost of the setting.

Whitest = D -Which carries a price premium which = smaller diamond

Larger Diamond = Larger Price

Maybe consider narrowing your options to D, E, or F in color and decide what clarity you want in a diamond which will affect the price.

You are being too general in your description Thirdcoast
1.gif

Read the tutorial on Diamond Buying on the forum to get a feel of the specifics and come back and post what you think interest you.
35.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Surely the description helps - from this side of the screen it seems that you are looking for an impressive ring made up of diamonds with no aparent flaws.... which is not very unusual to say the least
9.gif

Without seeing diamonds for yourself, it is quite tempting to conclude that anything other than D/IF needs some excuse to please. Sometimes I wonder if that's not what those grades were meant for in the first place.

It would relaly help to get out, see some diamonds and get and idea what those grades really mean, and what exactly shows up first. It would be nice to inspect several diamonds both of different sizes and grades.
After such lookign around, my impression remains that shape, size and brilliance show the most, with no clear order between them.
Only afterwards color and calrity have their say. Larger inclusion is there it will appear to closer inspection (as in taking someone else's hand in your for a close look) - dark inclusions show first. Color is pretty obvious starting at about M and perhaps K in white metal. Above theat, it is really a stretch to call the stones anything else but white: on mounted stones about 3 color grades difference shows among those between D and J (the usual e-ring fare). However, the color grades become wider down the scale (so that the distance between D and E is a fraction of that between I and J) so the top grades are eye-splitting close.

As is, your description reads SI1 for clarity all the way, and perhaps G or H if not lower, depending on cut and perhaps a bit of fluorescence. D-F/VS is ok too, but the visual improvement of the ring would be minimal.

The outcome might look like this:
4.gif

Let's say, a setting with sizeable baguettes (they are priced by weight and length) would be about 2-2.5k. Half carat total for the baguettes would be fine with me, especially if they are tapered baguettes. That means a bit bigger than these so that the narrowest part of the taperred baguette (away from the stone) is almost as wide as the shank of the ring like this.

Couldn't possibly look bad with a center stone near 2 carats like this one. On a small ring size 1.5carats would look quite awesome, actually. The photo below belongs to a 1.5 cts E-SI2 bit:

DI40X_GIA-13681054.jpg

The picture is more revealing for clarity than visual inspection. The color grade does not show in these phoographs (IMO), but on this particular stone, there is no color to see anyway.

This is all Whiteflash fare. I looked just over their site for convenience: their website is really easy to search. I would expect about the same rangle of choices to appear elsewhere, as long as it's still about a round diamond with ideal proportions.

Hope some of this helps.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's not a huge difference of size between those weights - just enough to feel some difference on the finger. The drawing below is (hopefully) to scale
2.gif

1518635.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now... let's say GIA and "Ideal cut" are not a must.

This one reads 1.5cts F/VVS (EGL - but... how bad can that be?) and there's a bit more than two baguettes going on around the center stone.

p.jpg

Just a thought... it is not too starightforward to single out an intricate ring unless you know the receiver's tastes very well.
There are lots of choices out there
1.gif

thirdcoast

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the advice. I was thinking a minimum of 1.5 would be ideal, with a few nice sized baguettes. Should I be concerned about EGL vs. GIA? Those rings are pretty good replicas of what she might want. I assume the setting should be eating up a few grand worth of the budget?

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
35.gif

Date: 2/12/2005 7:50:53 PM
Author: thirdcoast
Thanks for all of the advice. I was thinking a minimum of 1.5 would be ideal, with a few nice sized baguettes. Should I be concerned about EGL vs. GIA? Those rings are pretty good replicas of what she might want. I assume the setting should be eating up a few grand worth of the budget?
Hi thirdcoast:

It has been my experience that EGl is a little looser on grading. If your concerned about quality of the cert. GIA, AGS, or HRD are good certs to rely on and carry a little more weight than an EGL cert.

Your going to be paying a premium on platinum which is in high demand right now. It is very beautiful. An alternative to save yourself a couple hundred bucks would be going with 18k white gold. Durable and more affordable. If it is a cast replica it will be cheaper, but depending on your taste the price of custom work will also bring a premium, but you will also have better craftsmanship in a one of a kind piece if you go with custom.

I would set aside $1500 min. for platinum depending on the quality and size of baguettes you want. Accent stones are affordable but add to the price of the setting.

So your looking for a 1.5 carat stone. Here is my advice based on viewing different stones which have different color grades. Personally I think you would stretch your dollars going with a g-h si-1 clarity diamond. I think G/h si-1 is the ideal balance.

I am applying this to the criteria you set for getting a 1.5 ct. stone. Diamond Color is seen differently face up from different folks, but if size is important to you (and believe me which will be important to her) staying in the g/h si-1 range will get you the biggest bang for your hard earned dollars.
36.gif

let me know what you think..

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ROCKDOC: This was posted twice so Ill add it to this thread which has responses..Regards-Josh

I see so far no one has answered you, so I''ll try. Hopefully this will be a good guide for you.

A platinum engagement ring with two tapered baguettes, one on each side will probably cost around 1900.00 to $2800.

A lot is going to depend on the size of the baguettes. This is why I ranged the prices. This also assumes that you buy a manufactured item from someone''s stock rather than having it made. A custom made on will probably cost a bit more.

This leaves you with as little as 7-8 K for the center, or if you spend the 13k for the toal item maybe around 9k to 10 K for the center diamond.

Its a little hard because you didn''t say what shape you wanted. For that budget you should have a big selection of candidate stones to pick from.

You go to the price search engine and put in parameters you want and see which stones are in the budget.

Hope I answered your question as you inteded...

ROckdoc
consumersgemlab.com

thirdcoast

Rough_Rock
Well, I''m looking for a round diamond in this setting. Thanks for the advice. I have a meeting in a day and will ask more questions when I take a look at these.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You may be able to find the setting for little... but there are lots of quality checks to skip on these. The weight of the baguettes is just one.

I think this page tells the story rather well. The line would not change at other sellers - about the same choices remain valid everywhere.

thirdcoast

Rough_Rock
Any thoughts on this?

1.55 RB I/SI1
Depth-59.8
Tab-57
Cul-No
Pol-VG
Sym-VG
FLU-Non
7.49 x7.55 x 4.50
Price-$10,500
GIA

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2005 9
6.gif
1:29 AM

Any thoughts on this?

1.55 RB I/SI1
Depth-59.8
Tab-57
Cul-No
Pol-VG
Sym-VG
FLU-Non
7.49 x7.55 x 4.50
Price-$10,500
GIA
SI1 needs a reality check for clarity - it may have some obvious fault or not. Perhaps "not" is the more probable, but the average doesn''t count allot if this is just that unfortunate exception
2.gif

The stats say nil about cut quality: photo and angles would do allot of good.
36.gif

Cath

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/14/2005 10:25:27 AM
The price tag seems like it might be too high here. Am I right?
FYI you can do your own price check via the tool at the top of this page - "Pricescope your diamond".

I ran one for you and found this comparable diamond available through several vendors, cheapest through DCD - http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=4836146&ref=PS622
Price: $8,453.00
Report: GIA
Shape: Round
Carat: 1.56
Color: I
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 59.9
Table: 57
Girdle: TN
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 7.56-7.62X4.55

So yes, the diamond you posted does seem rather expensive if you are buying online, but could be in line with prices if you are buying at a B&M store -- are you looking to buy online?

thirdcoast

Rough_Rock
I live in Houston and visited an independant in town. I have no problem buying online, especially if I could set up an appointment with whiteflash. Will they be able to beat most of the prices that I see at jewlers, etc.? Thanks again.

Cath

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/14/2005 12:11:34 PM
I live in Houston and visited an independant in town. I have no problem buying online, especially if I could set up an appointment with whiteflash. Will they be able to beat most of the prices that I see at jewlers, etc.? Thanks again.
Yes, in general internet prices will be lower than a local jeweler''s for a comparable stone. Since you live in Houston, you should definitely stop by Whiteflash!

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thirdcoast:

Please make an attempt to stop by Whiteflash. There customer service is #1 in my book and they have a super friendly staff.
35.gif

Take it from a Two-Time customer...
21.gif

thirdcoast

Rough_Rock
I called today and I''ll be dropping by this week for an appointment. I''m ready to buy this thing, but just don''t know who is reputable and who is out to get me for an extra grand or two.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Hi thirdcoast

I''m a consumer (in another country!) and I just bought from Whiteflash too. In my opinion they will not be out to take you for more than their diamonds are worth. I was a first time customer and they offered me a very good price on my purchase and even gave me an unasked-for discount because they knew I was a Pricescope regular.

Good luck with your purchase, wherever you make it.
1.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
White Flash is great. Another satisfied customer here.

The first time I bought, we didn''t have an approved appraiser near me to ship to for a preview. I "purchased" 2 diamonds for preview to select one. WF promptly refunded the price of the diamond I did not select. I''ve also used their upgrade policy as well. Quick and painless with 100% of the purchase price of the first diamond going toward the 2nd purchase.
1.gif

thirdcoast

Rough_Rock
I just want to thank everyone for helping here. This website has been a very helpful tool and I''m glad to hear so many things about whiteflash. I''ll let you know how everything works out. I would really like to maximize my 12 grand and get the best quality/largest stone possible along with a great setting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results