shape
carat
color
clarity

1-carat round solitaire looks small

wsxcde

Rough_Rock
I just received my Blue Nile Signature Ideal round brilliance 1.01 carat F VS1 mounted on size 4.5 Petite Nouveau Solitaire Engagement Ring. The HCA is 1.9 based on the GIA measurements and the HCA is 1.4 based on the GCAL measurements. However, the diamond looks smaller than the 1-carat diamonds that I have seen in retail stores before. I am not sure whether it is due to the slightly thick girdle (4%) or the ring setting. Or maybe my expectation is too high. I have attached 2 pictures of the ring taken with my phone. I am trying to decide whether I would return the ring and get a bigger one. I would appreciate your advice.

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-signature-ideal-cut-f-color-vs1-clarity_LD02400327

Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.41 - 6.44 x 3.97 mm
Carat Weight: 1.01 carat
Color Grade: F
Clarity Grade: VS1
Cut Grade: Excellent
Proportions:
Depth: 61.8%
Table: 57%
Crown Angle: 34.5°
Crown Height: 15.0%
Pavilion Angle: 41.0°
Pavilion Depth: 43.0%
Star Length: 50%
Lower Half: 75%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted (4.0%)
Culet: None
Finish:
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None

photo2.JPG

photo.JPG

tenyearanniversary

Shiny_Rock
I think you should LOVE your ring, so do you love it?

If not, and you think it looks too small, then maybe you should return it.

You have room with color and clarity to get a bigger one. Diamonds are going to shrink more over time......

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Finger size and prongs. Prongs are swallowing that diamond whole. I would drop to eyeclean I color SI1and go up on carat size and go for a delicate 4 prong setting. If you can afford to add a couple of sidestones -- rounds, pears or baguettes that would help with the coverage issue with the finger size

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1327535500|3111738 said:
Finger size and prongs. Prongs are swallowing that diamond whole.

Ditto. I love six-prong settings, but those prongs are monstrously huge, and are making the diamond appear much smaller than it is.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also agree with the above - those seem to be large prongs and 6 on the 1ct diamond seems a bit overwhelming, in this case. Would you be comfortable dropping in clarity and colour by a grade/level so you could get a larger stone? Would a 4 prong setting be an alternate for you - or ask to have those prongs made more delicate?

You really should love love love your ring, and it doesn't seem as though you do, if you are doubting it right away. Life is too short to not be happy! It's a long time on your hand (that is until you start the upgrade process - :lol: :lol: :lol: ) so get a setting/stone you just can't keep your eyes off of (with in your budget, of course).

BN has a good return policy - give them a call...

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not switch to a 4 prong if you feel it looks small--4 prongs on a round diamond tend to square it off and make it look smaller than a 6 prong in my experience. The prongs at 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock act as an optical illusion and make it look more round. What I would do is just have BN redo the 6 prongs because they are too big and are covering too much of the diamond. Or you can choose a halo setting for a huge size boost, or add side stones like Gypsy mentioned.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you seen many one carat stones? I just have a feeling maybe you were expecting it to be larger considering the major amount of money a nice diamond costs! Some people think 6 prongs make a diamond look larger. I don't really think changing the setting to 4 prongs or smaller prongs will make that much difference really. Is this for yourself or are you the guy buying an e-ring? Would you/she like a halo setting? Those can make a diamond look much larger if that is your concern. However, I'd recommend considering looking at maybe G VS2 and getting a diamond that is larger.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a halo will probably be your best bet actually. A one carat in a halo is a GREAT size!! :naughty:

wsxcde

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend said she liked the 6-prong Petite Nouveau Solitaire Engagement Ring more than the Classic 6 prong ring from Blue Nile based on the pictures on their web site. She said she preferred 6 prongs to 4 prongs. I was looking for G VS2. But the GIA VS1 and VS2 Blue Nile signature diamonds that I have seen have more inclusions than the AGS VS1 and VS2 in other online vendors (e.g. Whiteflash ACA). Since my girlfriend said she liked the Petite Nouveau Solitaire Engagement Ring from Blue Nile, I got the Blue Nile Signature diamonds.

We are engaged already. I will show her the ring tonight and see what she thinks. Thank you all for your advices.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
the numbers look fine...some 1 carat stones are closer to 6.5 mm but I doubt you would see a difference...if the size bothers you I would go with lower color and clarity and get a larger stone.

what is your finger size?

blinglover78

Rough_Rock
It looks like the same setting I exchanged to. I originally had a classic six prong setting. The prongs were quite high and it just didnt suit my lifestyle. I exchanged to the petite nouveau, because the diamond sat lower on the ring. As a result though, I think the diamond looks smaller. Not sure if it is because the diamond is not as high or if it is the prongs. Maybe try a classic 4 or 6 prong? The petite trellis may be a good option also. Still not sure what direction I am going next. :confused:

marygrace

Shiny_Rock
wsxcde|1327543492|3111864 said:
My girlfriend said she liked the 6-prong Petite Nouveau Solitaire Engagement Ring more than the Classic 6 prong ring from Blue Nile based on the pictures on their web site. She said she preferred 6 prongs to 4 prongs. I was looking for G VS2. But the GIA VS1 and VS2 Blue Nile signature diamonds that I have seen have more inclusions than the AGS VS1 and VS2 in other online vendors (e.g. Whiteflash ACA). Since my girlfriend said she liked the Petite Nouveau Solitaire Engagement Ring from Blue Nile, I got the Blue Nile Signature diamonds.

We are engaged already. I will show her the ring tonight and see what she thinks. Thank you all for your advices.

A 1-ct diamond will look big on a size 4.5 finger. It definitely is not small! You chose well. Good luck!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
l an F VS1 from Blue Nile with those specs goes for 12K or more.

So here's my suggestion IF you want to stay with Blue Nile.

H SI1 Blue Nile Signature Ideal. All Blue Nile Signature Ideals are eyeclean-- have them confirm this for you. http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-signature-ideal-cut-h-color-si1-clarity_LD02283592 It's 1.23 carats and 6.9mm which is a noticeable size difference from the 6.4mm stone you have. 1.2 on the HCA

9,900 for that stone.
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-engagement-ring-setting-platinum_4508 2,009 for a platinum setting with pear sidestones.

All told, less than you spent originally for just a center stone.

Although honestly Blue Nile has very underwhelming three stone settings I've seen.

Here are some three stone settings that are MUCH nicer in design.

My two favorites with pears:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/grace-3-stone-pears-18k-white-gold-5557w18

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/the-summer-18k-white-gold-5371w18

With round sides:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/queen-dinah-3-stone-pave-18k-white-gold-5679w18

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/classic-three-stone-platinum-5377p I think you only need 15 pointers for sidestones. 20 pointers max.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wsxcde|1327543492|3111864 said:

How are you seeing the inclusions in the inclusions in BN stones? They don't even have pictures of their stones.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I personally think the entire problem is with the setting. It looks like it could be done better just in terms of proportions. Proportions are what gives the stone its look.

If you have concerns or doubts, it is best you do something about it. Why don't you take the setting money, move down a colour grade, move down a clarity grade, get a bigger diamond loose (since it is all bluenile), and then send it somewhere else to be reset?

I think you'll be happier with the end result. And figure out what you like. Your friend can like anything on her own ring, but you need to make the call on yours. Good luck!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love the setting! It would be better to judge in a handshot though.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I just read you have a size 4.5 finger-I think that ring will look very substantial on your fingers! I don't see a problem with the setting. If you are OK with lower color/clarity then I would return and get a larger diamond.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TristanC|1327547799|3111943 said:
I personally think the entire problem is with the setting. It looks like it could be done better just in terms of proportions. Proportions are what gives the stone its look.

If you have concerns or doubts, it is best you do something about it. Why don't you take the setting money, move down a colour grade, move down a clarity grade, get a bigger diamond loose (since it is all bluenile), and then send it somewhere else to be reset?

I think you'll be happier with the end result. And figure out what you like. Your friend can like anything on her own ring, but you need to make the call on yours. Good luck!

Tristan, he is the guy and he is referring to what his girlfriend (fiancee) likes. :))

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to chime in - the stats of 6.41-6.44 for diameter are spot-on for an ideal-cut 1 ct round. So it is as big as it's supposed to be. I agree that the diamond seems to be a bit swallowed by the prongs in the pics, but it's hard to say if it's that way in real life, pics can look a lot different. I'm a fan of 4-prong settings, however, and do not care for 6 prongs with all that metal. But if your GF picked out the setting, then I'd present it to her as-is and see if she is happy with it.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1327553040|3112000 said:
Tristan, he is the guy and he is referring to what his girlfriend (fiancee) likes. :))

This is what you get for foruming in between lulls in your workday! Oops.

No, but he's correct in being critical right? He's paying for the ring. (I know what that feels like ;( ). If you aren't happy don't settle! You're the guy paying the bill! :mrgreen:

ETA: The only person that matters IS your gf. Whatever she says? Goes. Please ignore us if we are contrarian.

50shadesofblack

Shiny_Rock
I love the setting and the diamond! I agree with others, the prongs are a bit big, but I didn't notice it before reading it here and comparing them to my Tiffany prongs (which are barely visible on a .48)

I'd totally keep this one if it was presented to me :love:
I hope your fiancée likes it =)

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
My feeling is, when you give the ring to her she is going to love it! She has teeny fingers so the diamond is going to look much larger on her than say a 1ct would look at me with my chub size 8. :((

She chose this setting herself so its likely she prefered these proportions to others that she looked at. I would propose with this ring, she how SHE feels about it and then decide together from there. I think that the ring is beautiful and you did a fantastic job. Comgrats on your engagement!

LizH

Rough_Rock
Trade
I think the ring is beautiful and you did a great job on picking out a beautiful diamond.

But, as the others have mentioned, you are paying a premium for a colorless diamond. You literally are paying up to double what you would pay for an ideal "I" colored diamond.

As you are searching for a round brilliant diamond, you have more flexibility with regards to color grade. This is because the brilliance (or light reflection) is maximized in the round shape as it is perfectly symmetrical. The increased brilliance makes it more difficult to detect a faint color tint in the stone. In this case, any diamond over the color grade “I” will appear completely colorless to the untrained eye.

Additionally, you are also paying a premium for a clarity grade of VS1. Again, as mentioned before, you could get another beautiful diamond that was several clarity grades lower as long as it is "eye-clean".

But this is only if you aren't satisfied with the size of the 1 carat. Otherwise, you did make a great choice - beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. :)

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would really present it to your future fiance and see what she thinks. I wouldn't go around changing things until you get her feedback.
Good luck and let us know what happens!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also agree that the stone looks small, given the ring size, and I don't know what that is. Maybe the prongs are detracting from the stone by breaking up the outline of the stone.

Curious to know what your fiance to be thinks!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
milton333|1327558803|3112043 said:
I just wanted to chime in - the stats of 6.41-6.44 for diameter are spot-on for an ideal-cut 1 ct round. So it is as big as it's supposed to be. I agree that the diamond seems to be a bit swallowed by the prongs in the pics, but it's hard to say if it's that way in real life, pics can look a lot different. I'm a fan of 4-prong settings, however, and do not care for 6 prongs with all that metal. But if your GF picked out the setting, then I'd present it to her as-is and see if she is happy with it.

agree agree agree. It is exactly the size it should be- and excellent cut. I prefer 4 prongs myself as more diamond shows. Show your fiance and get her opinion. Maybe she thinks it is the perfect size for her...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results