shape
carat
color
clarity

1.71 I1 eye clean. hmm.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Melz So I read everything and agree with Sara completely. I can see that you nes stone is cut better -- the light return is evenly distributed accross the whole face of the diamond and the facet patterning/contrast is also evenly distributed accross its whole surface. Your original e-ring is not a dog, though, it looks very pretty, but I imagine that averaged accross all lighting environments you would see that the GOG stone is brighter, shows more contrast (patterns of dark and light) and scintillation (life and movement of the patterns of dark and light) and probably shows more fire (check it out with the sun at your back, or else in Home Deopt type lighting). Some lighting environments will really equalize the look of the two diamonds, and some lighting will really emphasize it. But I think the most characteristic thing of a well cut stone is the life it has -- the patterns of light and dark dance accross its face as you move your hand, it will look bright in some lights and dark in others, it will basically look different all the time! A less well cut stone will tend to look the same in most lighting, it just doesn''t respond the same way because it is not cut to really optimize the way the light is reflected back at your eye.

All of that said, you need to take your diamonds out and look at them in different places as Sara said. Get a feel for the two.

My personal experience with visible inclusions is that over time when I stopped looking for them, I stopped caring about it. It was just something that bugged me less and less as I stopped being critical. Will this be your experience? I don''t know. A big part of our appreciation of diamonds in the psychological comonent. So you need to take the time you have to decide if you fall in love with this stone. Sometimes compromises need to be made to get what you want, and you need to give yourself time to decide if this is a compromise you are willing to make!

One thing I would like clariification about: Can you see the inclusion at a casual glance when you wear it and look at it normally? Or do you have to actively look for it to see it? Is it the table inclusions that you can see or the one near the girdle?

I think that if you give yourself a little time you will know what you want to do. For me, it took 2-3 days and then I *knew* that my current diamond was my diamond and I loved it despite the fact that it is lower color than I would like in an ideal world. It looks FABULOUS to me is 95% of my viewing environments and I can easily live with the 5% of the time it is not perfect. So give it a little time and you will know if you can "live with it" too.

It looks like a realy beauty though, I will give it that!!

AnnArbor_707

Rough_Rock
This thread has me pretty worried - I bought an SI1 from Brian Gavin and he personally told me over the phone it was a great and eye clean stone. I won''t get it until middle of next week, but I''m worried about the "eye clean" thing now. I guess we''ll see... waiting sucks!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2010 10:44:58 PM
Author: AnnArbor_707
This thread has me pretty worried - I bought an SI1 from Brian Gavin and he personally told me over the phone it was a great and eye clean stone. I won''t get it until middle of next week, but I''m worried about the ''eye clean'' thing now. I guess we''ll see... waiting sucks!

SI1 - SI2- I1... two clarity grades. Don''t worry.

I know "eye clean" should mean "eye clean" but I still think that label is tempered by the clarity grade.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread has me pretty worried - I bought an SI1 from Brian Gavin and he personally told me over the phone it was a great and eye clean stone. I won''t get it until middle of next week, but I''m worried about the ''eye clean'' thing now. I guess we''ll see... waiting sucks!

I am sure it will be fine. I have an EC Si1 that is eye clean. I bet you are excited to get your diamond next week. I can''t wait to see it.

AnnArbor_707

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the vote of confidence guys! It''s so tough buying something so small, so expensive and so "subjective" over the internet..... but the discount made it pretty much the only way to do it. (still can''t believe stores stay in business these days) I''m for sure excited.
Sorry to hi-jack the thread.... just that the "eye clean" stuff gets me worried.... :)

hunt7191

Rough_Rock
Just my two cents from a newbie ; ) My engagement ring arrived literally the day before my wedding because it took me so long to pick one. This was before PS. It was an SI1 and looked like someone took a fine tip black marker and just hit a dot on the table. I thought I could live with it. I stared at that black dot for 5 years everytime I looked even remotely in the direction of my hand and... just dealt with it. On a side note, no one ever said anything to me about it so either they were being kind or my obsessiveness took over
emwink.gif
The fantastic news for you is that you are getting it from a vendor with such great terms for upgrading later (even though I know that isn''t your goal) I didn''t plan upgrading either but after 5 years it was time. The problem for me was that I purchased it from a jeweler that didn''t have an upgrade policy so I had to sell it on craisgslist for half of what I paid. I agree with the question from the previous poster. Does your eye immediately go to the inclusion when you look down? If not, you are in much better shape!!!! Good luck!

melz

Shiny_Rock

Sara I really appreciate your taking the time to write so much information for me. I can totally see what you mean in the picture now. Dreamer I was hoping you would pipe in as well so thank you. The inclusion that reaches into the table doesn''t bother me at all, the inclusion at the edge does, but I think a prong will take care of it. And thanks to everyone who commented I really appreciate it.

I LOVE this ring! I just love staring at it and watching the colors dance across the surface. Okay so it''s not a ring as of yet but I''ve been giving it plenty of practice in the temporary holder (gaa, uninsured diamond in a temp holder!). I even took it into the dreaded work bathroom today and it was still beautiful under those lights that are so harsh to my existing diamond.

So I was going to wait to post until I had the engagement ring switcheroo negotiated but this is a delicate operation that must be perfectly timed.
emsmileo.gif
But let me tell you there is no way this diamond is not going to be going on my left hand sometime soon. I will be posting once that happens for resetting opinions. Although I''ve already pretty much thought that one out I think.

Anyhoo .... thank you pricescopers for the advice and opinions and Rhino at GOG for finding a beautilicious diamond at a price point that works for me! Afraid to write this as it feels premature but didn''t want to leave hanging all those who were so kind to spend their time writing on my thread.

Oh, and a perhaps surprising observation .... I''ve read about the dreaded DSS but after wearing 2ct for a year, I actually think this size is a better proportion for my hand. Which is the size DF wanted to get me in the first place .... (can you tell I''m already preparing my persuasive speech?
emwink.gif
).

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
This thread has me pretty worried - I bought an SI1 from Brian Gavin and he personally told me over the phone it was a great and eye clean stone. I won't get it until middle of next week, but I'm worried about the 'eye clean' thing now. I guess we'll see... waiting sucks!

If Brian says it's eye clean - it will be.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Melz I am so happy you are happy! And it is good news it is not the table inclusion that is most visible because I am willing the bet good money that you can easily prong the girdle inclusion anyways. The arrows might not "line up" but who cares!!!! Good luck with the negotiations
2.gif
I think that you have gotten half way there because you already bought the diamond -- it is called the foot in door technique of pursuasion. Now you need to just inch that foot into the door a little more and you are home free. You can always reset the original diamond into a pendent, and maybe get it recut to improve its appearance!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 10:04:03 PM
Author: Melz

Sara I really appreciate your taking the time to write so much information for me. I can totally see what you mean in the picture now. Dreamer I was hoping you would pipe in as well so thank you. The inclusion that reaches into the table doesn't bother me at all, the inclusion at the edge does, but I think a prong will take care of it. And thanks to everyone who commented I really appreciate it.

I LOVE this ring! I just love staring at it and watching the colors dance across the surface. Okay so it's not a ring as of yet but I've been giving it plenty of practice in the temporary holder (gaa, uninsured diamond in a temp holder!). I even took it into the dreaded work bathroom today and it was still beautiful under those lights that are so harsh to my existing diamond.

So I was going to wait to post until I had the engagement ring switcheroo negotiated but this is a delicate operation that must be perfectly timed.
emsmileo.gif
But let me tell you there is no way this diamond is not going to be going on my left hand sometime soon. I will be posting once that happens for resetting opinions. Although I've already pretty much thought that one out I think.

Anyhoo .... thank you pricescopers for the advice and opinions and Rhino at GOG for finding a beautilicious diamond at a price point that works for me! Afraid to write this as it feels premature but didn't want to leave hanging all those who were so kind to spend their time writing on my thread.

Oh, and a perhaps surprising observation .... I've read about the dreaded DSS but after wearing 2ct for a year, I actually think this size is a better proportion for my hand. Which is the size DF wanted to get me in the first place .... (can you tell I'm already preparing my persuasive speech?
emwink.gif
).

Aww, Melz, I'm so happy I could be of help! And, yay!!! I'm so glad you're falling in love with the GOG stone. I had a hunch that the table inclusion would "blend" into the sparkle of the stone. From your photos, the inclusion on the edge of the stone seems to be much more of an issue. And as you mentioned, that inclusion can be covered by the setting. I'm a little -- just a little -- concerned that people will figure out the wonderful value lower clarity stones offer (just like lower color stones!) but I do think we are very fortunate here at PS to have vendors who are willing to offer well-cut diamonds with lower color and lower clarity grades. Are they for everyone -- no. Would I buy an I1 from every vendor -- certainly not. But when backed up by a great return and upgrade policy, these stones are worth a look I think.

Are you going to set it in your existing setting?

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
I am beyond happy for you! I can tell from catching up on this thread that this diamond is wonderful for you. Congrats. GOG comes through again!

melz

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all! The existing diamond will be sold with any luck. And the setting too, hopefully. I''m thinking just a simple solitaire for this new one, either Mark Morrell''s Torchiere or Leon''s classic solitaire. I do wonder if I''d be better off not going with Leon due to the delicacy of his prongs and my desire to cover the inclusion. I may call Jonathan to see what he thinks about that hopefully he will remember the size of the inclusion. On the other hand, is it my imagination or have Mark''s prices skyrocketed over the past year? I don''t remember his signature settings with no diamonds running $2500 for a 1.5ct as his current price list indicates.

One interesting thing about color. This stone, which as a G is much higher than my existing J, I can see a concentration of yellow in the center of the table when I look down. I wonder if it''s something about the cut of the diamond, or that the J just looks overall warmer whereas the stark whiteness of the table shows off the center concentration of color more clearly? I''m not sure, but I never would have guessed I''d be color sensitive. If no one has a scientific explanation, could be the lighting.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, again, Melz, on your new diamond. I think what you may be seeing is table reflection. I''m attaching a photo that John Pollard included in one of my threads that explains the phenomenon. When I owned a D color stone, the center of the stone showed a distinct darker area that contrasted with the high color of the stone. The amount of table reflection you see is a function of the table size and the pavilion depth, as the graphic shows (thanks, John P.
35.gif
)

table-reflection-forps1a.jpg

melz

Shiny_Rock
Interesting thanks. I thought it might be something like that. So the deeper the diamond the more the concentrated effect of color?

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2010 10:41:01 AM
Author: Melz
Interesting thanks. I thought it might be something like that. So the deeper the diamond the more the concentrated effect of color?

Apparently. Maybe some of the others who know more about this phenomenon will chime in. I don''t think what you''re seeing is the body color of the stone, though, with a G color. That''s a white stone!

Stone-cold? Rhino? (I''m not sure Wink or Paul or John or Karl can comment since this is a GOG stone).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results