shape
carat
color
clarity

1.5 carat versus 2 carat? Is the extra $$$ worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TexasLawyer

Rough_Rock
Ok, here is the (latest) dilemma...

I have found 2 diamonds that sound great. Each is princess cut, H-color, SI2-clarity, with polish/symmetry = VG/VG. Both are premium cuts. The first is 1.50 carats, the second is 2.0 carats.

The 2.0 carat diamond is $3,000 more than the 1.50 carat diamond.

The 1.5 carat diamond has dimesions of 6.39mm x 6.37mm and the 2.0 carat diamond has dimesions of 7.00mm x 6.98mm.

My question is whether I would be able to see a significant size difference between the two stones. The top surface of the 2.0 carat diamond is only 0.6mm larger on the width and length, and I am not sure if that small increase in size is worth spending an extra $3,000!

Any thoughts? My girlfriend has said she would be happy with a 1.5 carat diamond, but I'm sure she would also be happy to have a 2.0 carat diamond!

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, you will definitely be able to see a difference. Whether it''s worth it is only up to you though!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I do think the size difference would be noticeable. It won''t be enormous, but surely visible if the stones are side by side. Whether it''s worth the extra 3k only you can answer. Have you seen the 2 stones side by side?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
another way to look at it is, if going with the smaller stone, will there be an upgrade in the future and might you not be better off just biting the bullet and going for the larger carat now? seems to me in reading about upgrades, that many women decide they want to upgrade fairly soon. the only thing that stops them is $$$$. and aren''t diamonds just going to continue going up in price? in the long run, the larger carat size may also be the most economical. if you can afford it, why not?

peace,,movie zombie

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Think of it in terms of surface area:
6.37x6.39= 40.70
7.00x6.98= 48.86

8.16 mm more of surface area for the 2 carat. That is a visible diff.
1.gif
Go with the 2 carat.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/1/2005 2:15:09 AM
Author: MrsFrk
6.37x6.39= 40.70
7.00x6.98= 48.86

1.gif
Go with the 2 carat.
8.16 mm^2

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2005 1:21:00 AM
Author:TexasLawyer

The 1.5 carat diamond has dimesions of 6.39mm x 6.37mm and the 2.0 carat diamond has dimesions of 7.00mm x 6.98mm.
Here is a look at the differences (generated with DiamCalc). What you're seeing will vary with monitor size, so the smaller comparison is not 'actual size,' though they are in scale relative to each other.

PrinConmaprisonForFun.jpg

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
john - nice visual!

i''d say go 2 if it''s feasible.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2005 2:06:48 PM
Author: JohnQuixote
Date: 12/1/2005 2:01:21 PM

Author: jcrow

john - nice visual!

i''d say go 2 if it''s feasible.

Thanks JC...Yeah, all the ''cool'' people are getting big rocks!
2.gif

hehe. gotta love that!

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Texas-
You can easily spot the difference in a .25 increase. A .50 increase would be dramatic! I like what the poster said above about upgrading. 1.50 will definitely tide her over until she gets the Big Daddy!-- If money is not a big issue- then go with the 2.00 - No question about it!
2.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2005 1:47:22 AM
Author: movie zombie
will there be an upgrade in the future and might you not be better off just biting the bullet and going for the larger carat now? aren't diamonds just going to continue going up in price? in the long run, the larger carat size may also be the most economical. if you can afford it, why not?

Ditto. If you're gonna upgrade eventually, prices aren't getting cheaper!

ETA: However ... if you look for longer, you may eventually find a 1.7-1.8ish for less than 3K more that has the spread of a 2ct stone. Don't hold yo' breath though. Depends on you timeline, and whether you love, love that specific 2ct stone!

EETA: Just realized your name is Texas Lawyer. Umm. Get the 2ct. You're in Texas for goddsake, bigger is better there.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
John, that was GREAT visual! Thanks!

Now if only that were life size... oh *swoon*!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

Lynn (the apparently insatiable!)

PS ETA: Yes, I think the difference would be incredibly noticeable, and I vote for the 2 carat. But I AM a size girl, afterall!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2005 5:37:15 PM
Author: Lynn B
John, that was GREAT visual! Thanks!

Now if only that were life size... oh *swoon*!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

Lynn (the apparently insatiable!)

ohhh== a life size diamond as big as my head! if only.

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
Only $3,000 more to go up to 2ct? Is it just me or is there something WRONG with those numbers?
20.gif

I even checked WF just to make sure and it is about a $5,000-6,000 difference between a 1.5 and 2ct. So my first response is why such a small difference...Is the cut bad?
15.gif

Hypothetically though, to answer your question, I would definately go with the 2ct. You as well as others WILL notice the difference. The difference is more noticable than ANY OTHER spec (cut, clarity, color) that you spend money on. So its definately worth it, especially if it is an extra $3,000.

However, unless you don't care for a 2ct or size, than that is another story. But judging by your username, 2ct seems to be a good choice - nice job, why not have a nice ring! Since I am currently in law school, 2ct seemed like the perfect size for me.
9.gif

TexasLawyer

Rough_Rock
LOL. I guess the consensus is the 2 carat.

The 1.5-carat is a "premium cut" and the 2-carat is an "ideal cut". Both are from Union Diamonds, and I have been assured by Tony that both are white, bright, and 100% eye clean. They are EGL certs, but I am ok with that. The look of the diamond is more important to me than the cert.

The only thing that concerns me is that the 2-carat has "distinct blue flouroescence" but Tony from Uniondiamonds has assured me the diamond does not turn milky or oily in sunlight, and it faces up bright and white.

I will probaby get the 2-carat one. Even if the size difference is not significantly noticeable, she''ll at least be able to say she''s got a 2-carat rock!

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
TexasLawyer, you are a smart man. :)
Don't worry about the fluorescence...I have a diamond with strong blue, and it is BEAUTIFUL. I love the fluoro, I think it gives it a wonderful character, it looks gorgeous in sunlight, and if your future fiancee ever walks under a black light it is really, really, cool.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Just an added tidbit for you. There is a phenomenon called...."Diamond Shrinkage" this wacky thing occurs to all of us female variety. It may take years to set in...but it does eventually come.

Most shirnkers have their eyes on the the 2 carat size. Oh if I could only have a 2 carat....

You start at the 2 carat...and well you are already there. Not sure if that helps or not...But I too say go with the 2. It is one big honkin rock.

emotion-5.gif

Oh and there is also this sister thing going on...sorta like blood brothers...we are Sworn to always sway in the direction of the larger stone. Girls stick together.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i don''t know if this helps or not, but when we were looking at stones in the 2 carat range, we ended up going with a 2.13. it seemed so much larger than the 2. so i think you''ll definitely notice a difference between 1.5 and 2. she''s gonna love a 2 carat rock!!!!!!!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2005 10:26:10 PM
Author: door knob solitaire
Just an added tidbit for you. There is a phenomenon called....''Diamond Shrinkage'' this wacky thing occurs to all of us female variety. It may take years to set in...but it does eventually come.

Most shirnkers have their eyes on the the 2 carat size. Oh if I could only have a 2 carat....

You start at the 2 carat...and well you are already there. Not sure if that helps or not...But I too say go with the 2. It is one big honkin rock.

emotion-5.gif

Oh and there is also this sister thing going on...sorta like blood brothers...we are Sworn to always sway in the direction of the larger stone. Girls stick together.

LOL! How true! How TRUE! Mine is 2.36 and that silly bauble is getting smaller every day!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

And BTW, IMHO -- the flourescence is a definite PLUS!
36.gif
My next stone
31.gif
(you know, that 3+ er I aspire to!) will hopefully have flourescence. *YUM*!

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
What size is her finger? That will make a huge difference as to how big that stone looks.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I say go for the 2 carat. The cut is better and you are getting a bigger stone for not so much (relatively) money. I have a diamond with very strong blue flourescence. I LOVE it. It sets it apart from other diamonds. The only time you will notice it is in black lighting (like at a dance club) or if your fiance has her nails done -- they use a UV to dry the polish. I actually love going to play cosmic mini-golf with my son because my diamond glows like crazy and it''s really kind of fun to look at. Distinct blue would probably not glow to that extreme, but it would still be fun. Anyway, that''s the one I''d go for if it were me.

BTW, I have a 2 carat and it''s plenty big enough. I''ve had it a year and a half and truthfully, any larger would probably make me uncomfortable -- it gets enough attention already. I''d say you will probably be safe regarding upgrade for a while, unless you both run in social circles where the ladies were extra large diamonds.

Have fun! New diamonds are very exciting. Congratulations on your engagement.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oups... the thread grew allot while I was making this. Didn't catch Johns' post...

I don' know what is called ideal cut and premium cut at Union diamond. At least the EGL reports explain the 'small' price difference. And so does the 'distinct fluorescence' part. IMO, it is not worth the trouble. (very much in minority here!)

Date: 12/1/2005 2:15:09 AM
Author: MrsFrk

6.37x6.39= 40.70
7.00x6.98= 48.86

not quite... there's need of a square root.

There should be larger 1.5 cts princess cuts (closer to 7mm), but... even Pricescope's list grew thin recently for some reason. Am I seeing things?

The size difference looks like this:

squaresisters.JPG

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
What is the color grade of the stone? If it''s in the GHI range the blue fluor could make it appear "whiter".

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more thing...

princess cuts are usually small diamonds (for the weight) because they are rather deep...

Other square cuts fare better in this department. If size matters so much, than a square radiant like this is larger than either the 1.5 and the 2cts princess. And the radiant cut should fare better cut less deep too.

Report: GIA
Shape: Radiant
Carat: 1.50
Color: I
Clarity: SI2
Depth: 62.7
Table: 60
Girdle: VTN-VTK
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 7.22-7.16X4.51
Length/Width: 1.01

I do not know if the price (7.5k) is any better than the 2 ct princess. The grades may well tally (EGL''s H with GIA''s I).

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/2/2005 11:19:03 AM
Author: fire&ice
What is the color grade of the stone? If it''s in the GHI range the blue fluor could make it appear ''whiter''.

... ''distinct'' from ''distinct fluorescence'' tells it shows - the word usually describes stronger fluorescence than the lower bound of GIA''s ''strong fluorescence''

EGL uses fluorescence grades from ''faint'' to ''very strong''. The ''distict'' note comes from whoever filled in the database (a wholesaler or the sellers themselves).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results