shape
carat
color
clarity

1.42 Uncertified diamond

Manda0817

Rough_Rock
We've been looking at diamonds for about a month or two now, with me trying to absorb everything I can learn online. Our goal is to buy a 1.5 carat round diamond that will go in a rose gold setting. I'm okay with an I or J in color but absolutely I want it eye clean and brilliant. So we've been to about 5 jewelers and seen a lot of diamonds, none of which I was happy with if they were near our price range (one even had a clearly visible flaw in the table J in color and their retail price was $13700!! HAHA!), until we came across this one. The diamond is at a very small locally owned store, in fact the first time we went in the owner himself was in the store working. The diamond specs are 1.42 carat G SI2 excellent cut and they're asking $8900 (they'll sell it to us for $8200). Last night we went in for a second time to examine it and truly it appears eye clean. In my short time I've become pretty good at picking out the flaws, and neither I nor my boyfriend can spot a flaw. The clerk placed the diamond in something I haven't seen before, kinda square shaped box, where it then magnified and lit up the diamond. We could really see the brilliance of the cut this way, and we could see the flaws. All of which are not directly under the table. The main flaw is just off to the side of the table, then there are some specks around the edges. The clerk said she thought possibly it could be rated as an SI1 not an SI2. So our only hesitation with this diamond is the lack of certification. The clerk said they do not certify all their diamonds and this one just happens to not be certified. They will include an appraisal but it doesn't seem they'd be willing to get it certified. She told us how they buy all their diamonds from a guy they personally know in Israel, they trust him and his family.

I'd like some thoughts from others. Is it stupid to go ahead and buy the diamond without the cert? I'm so hesitant to trust people selling things, but I LOVE this diamond. And as far as price comparison for a 1.42 eye clean diamond this seems to be a very good deal.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whats their return policy like? You can have it certed yourself, if thats something very important to you. BUT what if it comes back and doesnt match? Would you be able to return it or get a partial refund?

If you and your eyes love it, then you can go for it. I'd for sure take it to an independant appraiser either way, even if you dont get it certed.

lxAsTrOxl

Shiny_Rock
So is the jewelry store saying it's an Si2? I'm guessing that's what it is since there's no other cert for the diamond. I'd get it appraised for sure.

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't take the risk, as u can get these specs with I or J color for under $8k that are GIA certed Using the diamond search tool, staying under the magic 1.5 ct weight. You just can't be sure of the cut quality and color can be difficult to grade in the field. I've seen very white facing L color.

Would you like some help finding a diamond online? At least, this could give u some more options. Definitely not a deal so good you need to jump on it.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anything that seems to be too good to be true pricewise usually is there really is no corner cutting when you buy a diamond. In the drop down tab above go to Resources and click under Appraisers see if you can find a good one in your area that can take a look at the stone for you.

A person who works in a store that is getting paid a commission to sell you a stone is never going to be independent. The problem you have is that it is probably one or two grades lower in colour (or more) than they are claiming which would explain the price and it is possibly a reasonably clean looking Si2 or I1 stone. You can never truly compares apples to apples price wise when you do not fully know what you are buying.

Manda0817

Rough_Rock
@luvdajules- if you want to help with the search that would be great! I think I would prefer at least an I in color, based on ones I've seen in person. I have my heart set on the 1.5 so if it's under 1.5 I would like if it did look closer to the 1.5. Our budget has some flexibility to it, we'd like to stink to around 8K but can go higher, though absolutely no higher than 9.5K. Aside from the cut (I want that baby to sparkle!) the most important part to me is that I do not want to be able to see a flaw when looking at the diamond.

Thanks everyone else for your opinions. I can't find an appraiser under resources that is anywhere near me so I'm going to start Googling.

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, just saw this so I'll look for stones for you. how do u feel about fluoro? Keep in mind that the other stone was 1.42 ct and we don't have measurements, but likely around 7.3 mm round. At 1.5 ct there is a jump in price for 7.4 mm round. At 1.55 ct. We should be able to hit 7.5 mm round with ease. An ideal cut 60/60 stone will give u a nice spready stone and be brilliant for u, with a little less fire. At lower colors, this can be helpful. Mine is slightly steep deep so in a J color can make the center slightly dark.

I sent my stone to an appraiser from PS that could do all the pics and reflector images. So, u don't have to just do local. I also did a local one too.

Manda0817

Rough_Rock
I don't think some Fluorescence matters to me, I've even considered a few that have a strong blue.
They said the 1.42 measured around 7.19, which to me did seem kinda on the smaller side for a 1.42, but maybe I am wrong- I am a complete newbie! I was hoping for around a 7.4 or bigger.

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi op, I have to figure out a way for to able to copy and paste links to stones on my tablet. When I had a mousepad, no issues. I'm sorry. I did do a search and there's a ton in your price range of course, the larger ones with better specs were at the top of range, $8500- $9000. But I saw a lot in the lower range too. many were listed by eternity by yoni so I might give him a call and also idj jewelry. There were even some ACAs to consider but they were k colors usually.

Yes, also my search did find 1.42 and 1.44 ct to be like 7.2 mm, not 7.3mm. Usually the top grade cut stones are a slightly small compared to more shallow cut stones. That's the trade off, beauty or size. Let's find u both!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Manda0817|1435852417|3897904 said:
@luvdajules- if you want to help with the search that would be great! I think I would prefer at least an I in color, based on ones I've seen in person. I have my heart set on the 1.5 so if it's under 1.5 I would like if it did look closer to the 1.5. Our budget has some flexibility to it, we'd like to stink to around 8K but can go higher, though absolutely no higher than 9.5K. Aside from the cut (I want that baby to sparkle!) the most important part to me is that I do not want to be able to see a flaw when looking at the diamond.

Thanks everyone else for your opinions. I can't find an appraiser under resources that is anywhere near me so I'm going to start Googling.
This is a nice stone but $1700 over your budget.
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.510-i-si1-round-diamond-ags-bl-104079526016

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Manda0817|1435766101|3897372 said:
We've been looking at diamonds for about a month or two now, with me trying to absorb everything I can learn online. Our goal is to buy a 1.5 carat round diamond that will go in a rose gold setting. I'm okay with an I or J in color but absolutely I want it eye clean and brilliant. So we've been to about 5 jewelers and seen a lot of diamonds, none of which I was happy with if they were near our price range (one even had a clearly visible flaw in the table J in color and their retail price was $13700!! HAHA!), until we came across this one. The diamond is at a very small locally owned store, in fact the first time we went in the owner himself was in the store working. The diamond specs are 1.42 carat G SI2 excellent cut and they're asking $8900 (they'll sell it to us for $8200). Last night we went in for a second time to examine it and truly it appears eye clean. In my short time I've become pretty good at picking out the flaws, and neither I nor my boyfriend can spot a flaw. The clerk placed the diamond in something I haven't seen before, kinda square shaped box, where it then magnified and lit up the diamond. We could really see the brilliance of the cut this way, and we could see the flaws. All of which are not directly under the table. The main flaw is just off to the side of the table, then there are some specks around the edges. The clerk said she thought possibly it could be rated as an SI1 not an SI2. So our only hesitation with this diamond is the lack of certification. The clerk said they do not certify all their diamonds and this one just happens to not be certified. They will include an appraisal but it doesn't seem they'd be willing to get it certified. She told us how they buy all their diamonds from a guy they personally know in Israel, they trust him and his family.

I'd like some thoughts from others. Is it stupid to go ahead and buy the diamond without the cert? I'm so hesitant to trust people selling things, but I LOVE this diamond. And as far as price comparison for a 1.42 eye clean diamond this seems to be a very good deal.

It may be too good a deal, or it may be a truly GREAT deal.

Back in the days when I had a normal retail store I would make this deal with clients who were buying unpapered diamonds, and we sold many such back then. I would offer to have the diamond papered at GIA (Pre AGS days). If the diamond came back at what I said it was or better, they paid the price of the report. If it came back lower, then I would refund their purchase price, or lower the price, at their option. This worked very well for me and for my clients. (Very few actually asked and even fewer actually had me get them the paper back then.)

Now that I sell primarily on the Internet and 100% of my diamonds are papered I still think that this is a very fair proposal to the vendor. Offer to pay him his price if the diamond comes back with the grades he declares the diamond to be plus the cost of the report. (GIA only for what you are doing.) If it comes back lower, you can either keep the diamond, but at a reduced price and he pays for the paper, or get a 100% refund.

If he takes the offer, you can be pretty sure that he knows what he is doing and is confident in his grade. If he is not willing to take the offer, keep looking.

Wink

decisively_unsure

Shiny_Rock
Bear in mind that over long term viewing, rather than a quick comparison at a store, an I colour stone may count as a "flaw" to you as you can see slight yellowing at different angles. Consider bringing the carat size down to 1.2ct and bumping the colour up to F. Of course this may not be an issue to you, but I love colourless and brilliant white stones...

decisively_unsure

Shiny_Rock
I.e. that J diamond in the above James Allen link has a yellow colour tinge that I just don't like, but then I like open settings and looking at stones from the side and all sorts of angles, not just face up.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results