shape
carat
color
clarity

1/3 finger coverage...do you agree?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
I measured the width of my finger and divided it by 3 and it came to 6.66 mm...that amounts to a 1.1 ct.

Anyone else used this method??? Or is my imaginition overactive?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think most folks just get what their budget will allow. when I got engagaged, it was popular to get a one carat ring, that''s what we got, didn''t take any measurements into consideration..

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
I just see so many posts, and I posted too saying what carart size for a size *?* finger... thought it might be a good guestimate...I think 1/3 finger coverage is lovely if you can afford it...Well TOTAL coverage is GREAT if you can afford it.... hahaha
31.gif
30.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Mine came out to 5.5mm for 1/3 finger coverage, and my diamond is ~6.5mm. Ring size = 6, diamond = 1 ct.

I didn't follow the above rule, but I love the size of the diamond compared to my finger size.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I also came up with 6.66mm, but I have an E/W set oval that''s 7.5mm accross, gotta love maximizing finger coverage!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Here's an old post (boy was I naive - did I say I'd never wear an over 1 carat diamond?! No way!), which has an interesting chart that relates to finger coverage. I'm unable to attach files from this computer but maybe someone else could repost...

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
MeBree and Mustangirl... Do you think this is valid? Maybe not that accurate but and better way to see how much coverage you might get right?
28.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2007 3:18:54 PM
Author: iwannaprettyone
MeBree and Mustangirl... Do you think this is valid? Maybe not that accurate but and better way to see how much coverage you might get right?
28.gif

Valid in regards to 1/3 finger coverage generally being considered a 'good' size? Sure, but I love all sizes on all different fingers.

Someone posted something interesting a while ago relating to art and its proportions (something like that), and related it to finger size. I'll see if I can find it.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2007 3:20:45 PM
Author: EBree

Date: 6/6/2007 3:18:54 PM
Author: iwannaprettyone
28.gif

Valid in regards to a ''good'' size? Sure, but I love all sizes on all different fingers.

Someone posted something interesting a while ago relating to the art and its proportions, and related it to finger size. I''ll see if I can find it.
Oh me too! but it fun to imagine what different carats would look like...weeeeeee
30.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s the chart. I don''t know what you mean by "valid"? It does help if you''re comparing sizes in someone elses PICTURES to see what size YOU need to get the same look on your finger. But I think most of us just buy what we like and can comfortably afford. It''s not about showing off to others, it''s about what YOU like, want, and can afford.

RBCSizeOnFingerCP43543.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
Here it is!

The \"Golden Ratio\" (Scroll down to find JulieN's explanation.)

Apparently, this is the formula:

finger diameter/ (finger diameter-diamond diameter), with 1.618 being the 'golden ratio'.

My ratio is 1.65, if I did the math right.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2007 3:23:10 PM
Author: neatfreak
Here''s the chart. I don''t know what you mean by ''valid''? It does help if you''re comparing sizes in someone elses PICTURES to see what size YOU need to get the same look on your finger. But I think most of us just buy what we like and can comfortably afford. It''s not about showing off to others, it''s about what YOU like, want, and can afford.
Ooh, I havent'' seen the chart before, thanks neatfreak...same type of result though. I meant the validity of my home made formula.

I know it''s not about showing off, just love the around 1/3 coverage look and just giving another option to gals looking down at their fingers wondering what size they might "pine" for...at the end of the day I don''t get much of a say as the bf is researching and going it alone. I did get to choose shape and metal color....yikes. hah
5.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
If you have a 7.5 finger, according to neatfreak's chart (unless I'm completely reading it wrong!), you'd need a .75ct for 1/3 coverage.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2007 2:43:07 PM
Author:iwannaprettyone
I measured the width of my finger and divided it by 3 and it came to 6.66 mm...that amounts to a 1.1 ct.

its just a preference thing.... I''ve seen a lot of women here aiming to be able to see no finger to the sides at all. A 3.5 carat on a size 3 finger comes real close! lol

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
My fingers are flat and my knuckles are larger, which brings up the "spinning" problem. I remeasured my finger and it is 18mm across which is right at .75ct

My ring finger on the left is between 7 and 7.25, my right hand is 7.5.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2007 3:43:25 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 6/6/2007 2:43:07 PM
Author:iwannaprettyone

its just a preference thing.... I''ve seen a lot of women here aiming to be able to see no finger to the sides at all. A 3.5 carat on a size 3 finger comes real close! lol

wouldn''t that be nice. I wanna see a size 3 finger in person!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results