shape
carat
color
clarity

1.17 IF/G Review Please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dameisers

Rough_Rock
What do you guys think about this diamond?

I am trying to absorb your knowledge!
1.gif

Carat Weight: 1.17
Clarity: Internally Flawless
Color: G
Shape: Round brilliant
Cut External
Polish: GIA ~ Excellent
Symmetry: GIA ~ Excellent
Proportions: AGS ~ Ideal
Cut Internal
Symmetry ~ Hearts & Arrows
Light Return ~ Excellent
Depth: 61%
Table: 56%
Girdle: Medium, Faceted
Cutlet: None

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
I'd take it!
love.gif

SandyStar03

Rough_Rock
You know what? If I were a guy looking for an engagement ring or just a chick that spoils herself...I would most definitely take it for only $11Gs. Whoah! LOL, But then again you might want to match it up again other diamonds with that specifications...
1.gif

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
very nice, but pricey!

If you are considering a G, why not drop the clarity, and save a bundle of money. Whey not put this stone side by side with another one of equal size and color, drop the clarity and see if you can tell by your eye. You might save alot of money, put it toward the honeymoon, or wedding band, etc, you get the idea. Just my 2 cents.

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
In reference to my post above, what about these from DI?

1.116 D VS1 BR IDEAL IDEAL H&A $10,267.20 I249704
1.140 G SI2 BR IDEAL IDEAL H&A $5,523.30 I247720
1.158 I SI1 BR IDEAL IDEAL H&A $5,500.50 S247412
1.160 G SI1 BR IDEAL IDEAL H&A $6,501.80 I246416
1.174 I SI1 BR IDEAL IDEAL H&A $5,576.50 S248916 On Hold
1.184 G VVS2 BR IDEAL IDEAL H&A $9,673.28 I223515
Found :6

note the 2 "G" 's above. Good luck.

This is just one site I searched quickly, there are others!

dameisers

Rough_Rock
The reason I was looking at IF is simple. I can't see the stone in person. Hence, the problem with buying on the web!

I have been married for almost 10 years and we are looking to upgrade. I would really like to have at least 2.0 carats, but...

I will keep looking if you think this is pricey.

Thanks!
1.gif

Erika

Icicles

Shiny_Rock
I don't think that's a good reason to be looking at IFs. If an IF is what you want and you are willing to pay the premium, then it's a good reason, otherwise, I would stick to VS1-VS2. You'll be able to get a much larger stone for your money, especially in a G.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just my .02c...

That stone is pricey compared to what? A cursory comparison of IF stones among the world of bricks and mortar stores and you'll find that stone to be a bargain especially when you consider the rarity of it's cut and optics. They happen to be among the rarest in the world of round brilliant cuts.

You can certainly get a 2ct stone around the 11k zone but don't hold your breath concerning it's appearance as compared to the stone which is the topic of this thread. Most 2ct stones in this zone are either

a. tinted yellow
b. have eye visible inclusions
c. cut poorly
d. all of the above

If you enjoy the services we offer and would like to investigate larger stones within your budget please don't hesitate to drop me an email or phone call and I'll be happy to suggest some other stones of the same caliber (optically) if you like. Hope you enjoyed our tutorial.

Kind regards,

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
That stone is pricey compared to what?

How about "it's pricey compared to a similarly sized G stone that is still completely eye-clean but doesn't carry the outrageous premium of an IF....especially if one cannot see the difference between the IF and a VS2?"

......you'll find that stone to be a bargain especially when you consider the rarity of it's cut and optics. They happen to be among the rarest in the world of round brilliant cuts.

I'm really not trying to bust your stones, Jon, but.....ok, it's rare. So? I haven't met too many people who say they want their diamond to be "rare". (And for those who do, wouldn't you agree that exceptionally well-cut stones *are* a rarity?) I know this is a great "sales tool" for those in the jewelry trade, but the rarity thing isn't the compelling pitch for most people.

Erika said "I chose I/F because I can't see it myself"....which implies (at least to me) that a lesser clarity would be ok as long as it was eyeclean to her. She didn't say that "rarity" was important to her; she DID, however, say that a larger stone *is* important to her.

I agree that she won't get a G stone in the 2 ct range for $11K, but that's hardly a reason to discourage consideration of something she says she wants. There's almost .85 carats of play room between 1.17 and 2 cts in which she could adjust color/clarity and get a very LOVELY stone.....one that isn't tinted, *is* eyeclean, and *is* well-cut---especially if she sticks to the 1B cut class.

jesrush

Rough_Rock
Erika,

It would be *outrageous* to throw so much money away on IF clarity like that... yikes! It's *really* important to understand that you can go all the way down to SI clarity and still find eye clean stones. Since you sound a little nervous already, stick with VS clarity which are *ALWAYS* *ALWAYS* eye clean.

But don't take our word for it, head over to your local jeweler and ask to see some VS clarity stones, you'll be quite suprised when you can't tell them from an IF!

-Jason

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmmm.... I'm not sure I'd so emphatically say ALWAYS... I've been able to spot inclusions in VS stones (not easily, and not often, but still). I'll agree that MOST VS round brilliants are eye clean from MOST angles, but I wouldn't say it's always true.

That said, and while I think that G IF is a gorgeous stone, it is possible to drop in clarity and still find eye clean stones, even in SI ranges. If you're working with a vendor like GOG, who provides all the photos of the inclusions and who takes the time to talk you through stones you're considering, I wouldn't hesitate to lower the clarity. Just make sure they know you are looking for a stone that is absolutely eye clean from all angles, if that's your top criterium
1.gif

wanderlost

Shiny_Rock
sorry,.... I figured I'd do a little search & (suprisingly) found some great stones that match both what is desired & what has been found already.....

1.01 I IF $6,363
AWESOME symmetry.... HCA=1

1.58 I VS1 $10,808 (Just ask for info on this one if it's interesting...)- It's a Venus by Infinity (mouth watering!) - it scores a 0.5 on the HCA too!

Theres also quite a few stones you could cull through at Blue Nile (I've heard some very good experiences with them lately - and they're not much different in price on this specific type of stone).....

But the missed stone from baltneu's post (from DI) is the 1.718/H/SI1 - HCA=1.2(X/X/X/X) for a hair over $12k

finishing up here... there's a 1.558 H VS1 (a good balance - it's tough to stay high clarity, high color under $12k) (HCA=1.3)

the search by cut grade should help a lot though in any case... http://www.pricescope.com/sift.asp

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

oh yeah..... and getting rarer still - how about a 3ct. E / IF!

eh.... but that's nothing compared to this8.70 H IF.... i dunno what to say about that....
1.gif

& finally - if you don't mind hiring a security guard for your finger.... there's a cute little 11.06 / D / IF that could be YOURS!

nicknomo

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 9/4/2004 5:43:55 PM dameisers wrote:

The reason I was looking at IF is simple. I can't see the stone in person. Hence, the problem with buying on the web!

I have been married for almost 10 years and we are looking to upgrade. I would really like to have at least 2.0 carats, but...

I will keep looking if you think this is pricey.

Thanks!
1.gif

Erika----------------

Erika,

Trust me when I say clarity is the least important of the C's. G color is nice, you won't really notice a difference face up between that and 'better' colors. The size is nice, but for that price you can get something a tad bit larger in a lower clarity grade.

If you cant see the difference, then you are paying for something you can't see. Almost all of the time VS2 stones will be eye clean, but if you are really worried about it, go for a VS1 stone. Ive never seen a non eye clean VS1 stone, and I'm pretty sure you need eagle eyes to find that in a round diamond.

VVS2 and above is overkill in rounds IMO.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
----------------

VVS2 and above is overkill in rounds IMO.

----------------

I agree with this. IMHO, I would MUCH rather have more weight than IF clarity. I LOVE VS stones... and would much rather have a larger VS stone than a smaller IF one. Again, why pay for what you simply cannot see with the naked eye?!! Just my humble 2 cents!

Lynn

wanderlost

Shiny_Rock
I have to interject one more time on this.....

opinions that:

"It would be *outrageous* to throw so much money away on IF clarity"

"VS clarity which are *ALWAYS* *ALWAYS* eye clean"

"clarity is the least important of the C's"

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe are generalizations that are used a little too frequently here. Wonka's question; comments by: quaeritur, Icicles, goldengirl, sandystar03; and baltneu's advice I think are spot-on....

IF stones (as well as many of the stones that are meticulously photographed by the different vendors here) allow people to make an satisfying purchase without fear of finding out that their stone is not eye-clean (or is in anyway different than they thought it was). I agree (and have learned myself) that stones up to I1 can be eye-clean (which blew me away).... not at 1 foot away (as the definition of eye-clean goes), but under 10x magnification. As with realestate - LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION is one of the keys.

Of course, everything on this thread assumes that the cut of all of these stones is in the top 1/2% (which may or may not be true) - as I agree that clarity is not the most important 'C' - I feel it's far from the least important - (as a neat gallery of inclusions (from primarily SI1s or better, (I believe)) - would seem to point out).

Personally, I can pick out inclusions pretty easily both w/ & w/o magnification.... I picked through a small pile of VVS & VS stones at a local B&M and (unfortunately) was able to find defects in more than half of them. Plus.... with the charting, magnification, appraisal, etc... once you know how to spot an inclusion in your stone - [personally] it's hard not to have your eyes find it again whenever you view it (think of the last arts or crafts project that you did - everyone thinks it looks great, and you do too, but don't your eyes find the same blemish (or perceived blemish) every time you look at it?)...

I wouldn't try to convince you that SI isn't the way to go either - I just couldn't make recommendations myself in this area (just as my recommendations on these larger stones are not nearly as informed as if you were looking for something in the .5-.75 range)....

Either this stone, or one of the one you finally decide on will surely be beautiful - good luck in finding it & let us know if we can help you look for it!
1.gif
- I'd just advise making up your mind on what you'd like (and what you're willing to sacrifice: cut, color, clarity, size or budget - and don't let others dissuade you of it (though it never hurts to take a peek at the ones that people recommend even if they fall just outside your search parameters).

by the way - IF doesn't necessarily give you a free ticket all in all though - like I said - it's CUT too....

here's a (painful) little example of that originally posted by valeria
CutMeetClarity.JPG

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Don't listen to these anti-IF goofballs.
9.gif
IF is IF and costs more because it is WORTH more.

Get what you like and like what you get!
appl.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Here's my advice. This stone is not for you.

1st - you wanted a bigger stone. For that you will have to massage your parameters. Are you settling for this stone because you believe only IF stones will not show flaws?

2nd - many diamonds graded in the lower clarities are eye clean. Sure, an IF have a better chance of being eye clean than a VS2 stone; but, doesn't mean that you will be able to see an inclusion in a VS2 stone or an SI for that matter.

I would suggest you look at some stones in the VS-SI range & see if the inclusions pop out at you or is the size more important.

BTW, I have an eye clean SI2 in a 1.25c. And, I have an eye clean VVS stone. I like the larger one better. My 3c is mostly eye clean. I can pick up a crystal if I hold it a certain way w/o my corrective lenses. I like my 3c best.

Since your reasoning for buying an IF is that you are buying on-line, well- that's what a good return policy is for & the advice of a trained eye. You stated you wanted closer to a 2c. This 1.17 isn't even close to that mark.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/7/2004 5:49:32 PM Rank Amateur wrote:

Don't listen to these anti-IF goofballs.
9.gif
IF is IF and costs more because it is WORTH more.

Get what you like and like what you get!
appl.gif
----------------

Not really accurate. It may not be "worth" more to her since she is sacrificing quite a bit on size. And, is under the impression that only IF will gaurantee an eye clean stone.

She did not state that she wants an IF because it is perfect on paper. She mentioned the translation only to not being able to see the stone in person because she is buying on the internet. Well, lots o' eye clean stones on the internet in non premium eye clean stones.

Geez, Am I the only one who listens to what the poster says. Unless I totally missed her reasoning she isn't debating the virtues of an IF stone. Only debating in context of getting a good looking anniversary stone.

And, my opinion is my opinion. As strong as it may sound, I would *never* pay a premium for a G/IF stone. Maybe a D/IF - but not a G/IF.

wanderlost

Shiny_Rock
I agree 100% Dave.... the vendors here at PS are awesome and would be happy to work with anyone to find a stone that will make you happy....

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 9/7/2004 6:05:09 PM fire&ice wrote:

She did not state that she wants an IF because it is perfect on paper. She mentioned the translation only to not being able to see the stone in person because she is buying on the internet. Well, lots o' eye clean stones on the internet in non premium eye clean stones.

Geez, Am I the only one who listens to what the poster says----------------
No, and if you'd read all the posts carefully, F&I, you'd have noted that I pointed out the very same thing. Perhaps you missed my post
naughty.gif

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 9/7/2004 5:56:22 PM fire&ice wrote:

Here's my advice. This stone is not for you. ----------------

You are likely right F&I. I was being contrary just to give the opposite viewpoint from the "overkill" comments.

I also assumed that the poster knows that she is paying a roughly 75% premium to go from an SI stone to an IF with the same color. Maybe she didn't realize how big the hit really is. Maybe she didn't realize how far down the line you can go and still be eye clean. Maybe she didn't know that there are some great PS vendors and appraisers out there who can be her eyes and do the looking for her.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/4/2004 5:43:55 PM dameisers wrote:

Erika----------------

It doesn't take a leap of faith to "assume" that since she can't *see* the stone she wants to be sure she doesn't see any junk. Tell me what else to deduce from this response?

Perhaps she can clarify what she means.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I also assumed that the poster knows that she is paying a roughly 75% premium to go from an SI stone to an IF with the same color. ----------------

That's just it. She asked if the stone was pricey. Yes, compared to other clarity grades. It's a big premium. It's rather amazing to me. But, I've always said - I'm kinda Zen. I like the flaws of nature. It makes it - well, natural.

JC

Shiny_Rock
That's a great choice. You don't necessarily need an "IF", but that may be your personal preference. You definitely have great taste. That's for sure. Good luck....

wavey.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/8/2004 12:39:42 PM crankydave wrote:

Fire&ice wrote:
It doesn't take a leap of faith to 'assume' that since she can't *see* the stone she wants to be sure she doesn't see any junk. Tell me what else to deduce from this response?

There are many, as I'm sure you are well aware, that believe an IF grade is an assurance of an excellent diamond. It doesn't take 'a leap of faith' to deduce this either. IF does not make the diamond sparkle, brilliant, etc. it just makes it IF.

Fire&ice wrote:
Perhaps she can clarify what she means.

My point exactly. Perhaps the poster would have been better served if you, and others, got the answer to this question before they offered their knowlegable opinions/advice/suggestions.

Dave----------------

Yes, there ARE many who believe that IF is an assurance of an excellent diamond. BUT, that's *not* what she said when asked why she was selecting IF, was it? If she were looking for IF for the sake of IF, then it wouldn't be necessary to note that she "couldn't see it in person" and that she was buying via the web. She instead would have replied "because I value the rarity/quality of an IF stone".

I don't frankly feel the need to "clarify" what she meant. I feel reasonably confident in my ability to comprehend what she wrote, and like F&I, I'm fairly certain that she's looking for eye-clean.

Oh, and even IF our interpretation *were* to be off (which I don't believe it is), it wouldn't negate any of the knowledgeable insights anyone offered...which OTHER PEOPLE might benefit from reading.
9.gif
The fact that *you* don't agree with it doesn't make it wrong.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
before[/b] they offered their knowlegable opinions/advice/suggestions.

Dave----------------

Even if she believed buying an IF would secure a beautiful stone, my response would not change. I think many people just consider what's on paper or what is preceived to be the pinnicle of specs they must have when most of the time they are overbuying.

She is not making a conscious choice of going IF. She tossed out a stone for review. I wouldn't buy it. She asked for opinions. I gave one. She clearly stated she wanted something larger. She clearly questioned the price tag of the IF. No doubt the stone has every reason to be beautiful. That is not what she was solisticating opinions for.

nicknomo

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 9/7/2004 5:34:22 PM wanderlost wrote:

I have to interject one more time on this.....

opinions that:

'It would be *outrageous* to throw so much money away on IF clarity'

'VS clarity which are *ALWAYS* *ALWAYS* eye clean'

'clarity is the least important of the C's'

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe are generalizations that are used a little too frequently here. ----------------

I figure some of these comments are directed at what I said. I just want them to be understood in context. I wasn't talking about worth, but more along the lines of the beauty of the diamond. Sure an IF could have more sentimental value and will be worth more, but if you can't see the inclusions an SI2 will be just as beautiful.

And although it IS a generalization, VS stones will rarely have eye visible inclusions face up (at least to the untrained, average eye).

In respect to beauty, I'd find it hard to dispute that clarity is the least important C. As long as it's eye clean, then size color and cut will have much more of a bearing on how good it looks.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results