shape
carat
color
clarity

0.46 August Vintage Round or a 0.57 ACA?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I''m shopping for a graduation present and I have about $2000 to play with, though I want to use about half on the diamond and half on a James Meyer setting. Given the possibility that I''ll probably bezel the stone, which would you pick? The 0.46 August Vintage, or spend about $300 more for the 0.57 ACA? I know that it''s kind of apples and oranges since the looks are very different, but I love both. I''m just not sure if the slight size increase for the ACA is worth the extra $300 or so.

Thanks!

GOG August Vintage Round

WF ACA

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I love that GOG!

It's so wonderfully different, it must be a fireball!!

I'm no help
12.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 11:43:09 PM
Author: yssie
Oh I love that GOG!

It''s so wonderfully different, it must be a fireball!!

I''m no help
12.gif

Haha that''s ok! I love the chunky flashes of light of the August Vintage diamonds.

But I''m a bit paranoid about size now since I returned a stunning tsav from Finewater that was gorgeous, but just too small. So I''m second-guessing the OEC.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
What are you making? Ring? Pendant? ( p.s. -- Little bit worried about someone scooping that GOG A.V. stone out from under you -- as its the only small one currently available.)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 11:46:21 PM
Author: decodelighted
What are you making? Ring? Pendant? ( p.s. -- Little bit worried about someone scooping that GOG A.V. stone out from under you -- as its the only small one currently available.)

Eek I know, I thought about that! I haven''t jumped on it since I have a few months to decide and I''m hopeful that something similar or bigger might come in then
1.gif

Ring definitely. Possibly a halo if I go with the ACA but I''d rather not halo the Aug. Vintage. Maybe a bezel? Possibly a JM like Coati''s or Butterbean''s:

JM 1278

JM 1363

tonyc2387

Shiny_Rock
definitely a noticeable size increase (0.5mm) AV to ACA. too bad the ACA is so new WF hasn't yet posted images, but then again, it's an ACA... AV is certainly a nice diamond though, and that's coming from someone who isn't really into larger facet designs. good luck
1.gif

edit... maths at midnight =
38.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 11:59:23 PM
Author: tonyc2387
definitely a noticeable size increase (0.5mm) AV to ACA. too bad the ACA is so new WF hasn't yet posted images, but then again, it's an ACA... AV is certainly a nice diamond though, and that's coming from someone who isn't really into larger facet designs. good luck
1.gif

edit... maths at midnight =
38.gif

Thanks Tony!

Yeah the size difference makes things difficult to decide and since it's an ACA, I'm not too worried about the quality (though I'd want to make sure it's eye-clean).

Oh and I'm a size 3.5 so either diamond won't be too bad size-wise, especially if bezeled, but I'd still like to maximize finger coverage as much as possible
1.gif

ETA: I feel for ya. I should be studying for my last exam....

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
Brown eye girl, I''m voting for the AV since I''m looking to get one too! Love the chunky broad flashes! I''ll bezel my AV as well, but most prob can only get it in Jan cos Pete (Quest) is busy for Christmas. Oh, what I mean is he''s making my setting, AV from GOG. But whichever you choose, it''ll be spectacular

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you guys!

I just realized I should've made this a poll - oh well.

I also realized that the AV is almost exactly the same size as my blue tourm and the ACA is the same size as my pink spinel - both in bezeled settings. The difference is slight but visible:

Blue-green tourm = same size as AV
BEGTourmalineStackingRing.jpg

Pink spinel = same size as ACA
BEGSpinelStackingRing.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
And this was another possibility but it''s not eye-clean and I don''t think it would work for a ring.
7.gif

AV

tonyc2387

Shiny_Rock
hrm yeah... i do see the diff.

how does blue torum compare to the one you returned?

btw, wish my intended had a 3.5 finger... the .84 i have in store would result in major coverage! *jealous*

random suggestion: get the AV and put the extra $300 towards a PS3.

and with that amount of non-help, i''m off to bed
2.gif
3.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2009 1:24:37 AM
hrm yeah... i do see the diff.

how does blue torum compare to the one you returned?

btw, wish my intended had a 3.5 finger... the .84 i have in store would result in major coverage! *jealous*

random suggestion: get the AV and put the extra $300 towards a PS3.

and with that amount of non-help, i''m off to bed
2.gif
3.gif

I don''t think I returned a blue tourm...which one were you referring to? I do like this one in the bezel setting a lot however - it''s a very vibrant stone!

And I''m sure your soon-to-be-FI will love the 0.84! Do you have a thread for it yet?

No PS3 for us - we have a Wii already
3.gif

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you currently own anu diamonds? If so what shapes?

Will you upgrade in the future? If so, GOG is nice because they carry a variety of diamond cuts...

tonyc2387

Shiny_Rock
sorry... this one:

Date: 12/14/2009 11:44:59 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
But I''m a bit paranoid about size now since I returned a stunning tsav from Finewater that was gorgeous, but just too small. So I''m second-guessing the OEC.

no thread on the .84 yet... i''m keeping details under tight wraps for now, can never be too careful... but i have much planned. it''ll be worth the wait (or at least, that''s what i''m telling myself as the 6yr mark will soon be flying by)
2.gif

have a wii here as well, want PS3 more for bluray & netflix more than anything else. well, maybe assassin''s creed 2...

ok now i''m really seriously in need of sleep... lol

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2009 2:18:32 AM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
Do you currently own anu diamonds? If so what shapes?

Will you upgrade in the future? If so, GOG is nice because they carry a variety of diamond cuts...

Hey Dreamer! I own diamond studs and a three-stone pendant. I have no idea about the sizes in the pendant but my studs are 0.25 ct. each. Probably wouldn''t upgrade this for a long long time, if ever (especially if I end up doing a JM setting). It''s my grad present from my parents so I''d rather keep it as is (and get an AV cushion years down the line
2.gif
)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2009 2:24:14 AM
sorry... this one:

Date: 12/14/2009 11:44:59 PM

no thread on the .84 yet... i''m keeping details under tight wraps for now, can never be too careful... but i have much planned. it''ll be worth the wait (or at least, that''s what i''m telling myself as the 6yr mark will soon be flying by)
2.gif

have a wii here as well, want PS3 more for bluray & netflix more than anything else. well, maybe assassin''s creed 2...

ok now i''m really seriously in need of sleep... lol

Oh I see! Sorry - the tsav is 5.2 mm and a cushion cut. Stunning - loved the color, loved the cut, but I wasn''t planning on bezeling or haloing the stone and it wasn''t really big enough. Someday, I will get a killer tsav - someday! The blue-green tourm is definitely smaller (but it was also much cheaper
3.gif
and also from Finewater).

Umm...of course ideally I''d love a 1ct. AV round (or a bigger AV cushion) but within the budget... Which is why I''m planning on bezeling if AV and possibly haloing if ACA to up the diameter a bit. Sorry if this sounds rather fragmented - my brain is totally fried.

Good luck with the proposal! I hope you''ll come back with details and pics once you''ve proposed
1.gif

tonyc2387

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/15/2009 2:42:55 AM
Oh I see! Sorry - the tsav is 5.2 mm and a cushion cut. Stunning - loved the color, loved the cut, but I wasn't planning on bezeling or haloing the stone and it wasn't really big enough. Someday, I will get a killer tsav - someday! The blue-green tourm is definitely smaller (but it was also much cheaper
3.gif
and also from Finewater).

Umm...of course ideally I'd love a 1ct. AV round (or a bigger AV cushion) but within the budget... Which is why I'm planning on bezeling if AV and possibly haloing if ACA to up the diameter a bit. Sorry if this sounds rather fragmented - my brain is totally fried.

Good luck with the proposal! I hope you'll come back with details and pics once you've proposed
1.gif

haha not fragmented, just wanted to get an idea what is 'too small' to you. if you think the AV would look good bezeled or haloed, then i guess i don't see why not. then with GOG you always have the upgrade policy to go either way... they'll always stock more AVs or H&As, where WF will likely just stock ACA. i guess it would help to read all posts. won't the AV have broader flashes of fire from a smaller stone? i suppose that'd be nice...

oh don't worry... i can't wait to
1.gif

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
I always thought I''d upgrade to a GOG AV OEC whenever they finally hit the market, and I was really looking froward to getting a "new" OEC. I bought a H&A upgrade instead b/c I just tired of waiting around. Well, now that I''ve worn the H&A, and I''ve seen the perfection of the OEC replicas, I prefer the modern H&A. I love true vintage OECs and European cuts and "mutt cuts" and all their quirks and windowing and unusual optics and whatever, and I would not hesitate to buy the right vintage stone. But those ultra perfect AV OECs just turn me off.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
I love the GOG AV!!! I am not a fan of modern round brilliants so I think that diamond is just beautiful. I know .5mm can be a lot but I think on your ring size (just about my size) it probably wouldn''t make much difference. I am very biased though.

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I love the AV! I have an old OEC that size that I put into a Whiteflash four corners pendant - and it is so lively with big flashes for it''s size. I love it!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2009 9:29:33 AM
Author: HVVS
I love true vintage OECs and European cuts and 'mutt cuts' and all their quirks and windowing and unusual optics and whatever, and I would not hesitate to buy the right vintage stone. But those ultra perfect AV OECs just turn me off.
Heh, I actually feel sorta the same way. Although I like the AVs I don't love them enough to want one. When I get another old stone I'd rather have the "imperfections" of a true vintage one. The AVs are a little too perfect to have the charm I want.

ETA: Brown, I didn't think the size difference would be that great, but on your finger the spinel is significantly larger. Which sways me toward a larger stone.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys! well here is another one (which I''ve already placed on hold, just in case). What do you think?

GOG AV 1.05 O I1

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
::DROOL::

Perfect. It's perfect.

The colour is gorgeous on that shape - it really makes it look vintage-y, and the inclusions are near the girdle - all the better for bezelling!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
BWAH! When we said "larger" you really went for it, didn''t you?
31.gif

I think it''s lovely and I''m really diggin'' that slight caramel tint.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/15/2009 9:29:33 AM
Author: HVVS
I always thought I''d upgrade to a GOG AV OEC whenever they finally hit the market, and I was really looking froward to getting a ''new'' OEC. I bought a H&A upgrade instead b/c I just tired of waiting around. Well, now that I''ve worn the H&A, and I''ve seen the perfection of the OEC replicas, I prefer the modern H&A. I love true vintage OECs and European cuts and ''mutt cuts'' and all their quirks and windowing and unusual optics and whatever, and I would not hesitate to buy the right vintage stone. But those ultra perfect AV OECs just turn me off.

I got a kick out of this HVVS.
41.gif

If you would like the optics but with nice sloppy symmetry we can arrange that too!
41.gif
jk

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Please forgive H VVS. That didn't come out right ...
40.gif

I do appreciate where you're coming from. There is a certain appeal to an antique that no new diamond can replace now matter how perfectly the cut is designed to be. When we were designing this my thoughts were along the lines of .. What would Henry Morse (the inventor of the original American Ideal Cut) have cut if he had access to the tools and technologies we had today? I didn't realize after posting that my statement could be taken wrong and its not my intent to offend. Not every kind of diamond is for everyone and thank God for variety. Hope you didn't take my comment in the wrong spirit.

Kind regards,

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/15/2009 7:45:54 PM
Thanks guys! well here is another one (which I''ve already placed on hold, just in case). What do you think?

GOG AV 1.05 O I1
Brown, this must be a new stone cos I didn''t see it yesterday. You lucky to get a warm and large OEC. Nice!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results