shape
carat
color
clarity

0.4 to 0.5ct bezel pendant project...

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
So I have surely learned in my time here that many projects can find their way into your head...my latest idea (potential graduation present) would be to get a RB bezel pendant (a la DBTY style) to wear as an everyday or occasional necklace. I am still not an expert by any means, so here are some things I need assistance on:

1. what specs should I search for on the stone?
a) clarity: I'm sure that SI1 is safe for a pendant this size, is lower okay still?
b) color: I know this is tricky and different for everyone...but it seems as I have seen many K pendants around this size for sale or just on display on these threads.
c) carat/mm: a quick search of diamonds at IDJ with a large range of certificates, colors, clarity showed 0.4-0.5ct as kind of the sweet spot for how much I think I'd like to spend...looks like I should stick with around 5mm range. When measured with a ruler though 6mm seemed a lot larger...is it worth it for the much larger increase in price or should I just forget about that difference because the bezel will add some diameter? Also, for relation's sake I would like to get it set in more of a choker style (14" on me) and I am 5'4" if that helps...

2. pendant setting: I've seen ones at IDJ, BGD, and I think DZ even. Any suggestions on going with any of them? I would like a bezel as fine
as possible but also for it not to flip. I'm open to the idea of the sliding pendant vs. fixed (I do like to play with my necklaces, plus it won't have the lil jump rings on the side) but not 100% one way or the other.

I think that's it...like I said this is still just a seed so I'm just trying to do more research on what my budget needs to be and what I should be looking for.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally support K SI2 for a pendant.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
pandabee|1355326049|3329345 said:
Thanks, Julie! Any thoughts on pendant setting?

It seems like the BGD Barbara is the most popular bezel setting around here. That would be my choice as well.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is no guarantee that your pendant won't flip. I have two bezels and one flips all the time and the other one never does.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I'd get a quote from IDJ if you're on a budget. Their handmade bezels are gorgeous and cheap! Can't speak to the flipping issue though.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Thanks gypsy I was hoping you'd chime in. Yours are both the fixed bezel pendants though right? Wouldn't flipping not be quote an issue with the non-fixed (I think the BGD Barbara is this style?

rosebloom I will check IDJ out. Not necessarily on a tight budget as I won't get this until free I graduate in may (so I say haha) but I just wanna make sure I explore all my options first and see what kind of budget I *should* have for this project.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd vote for the .5ct Barbara from BGD. I love mine - and its an OEC in the 5mm range which has great presence. Enough to be noticeable at that size and I am no light weight! :wink2: The Barbara does flip a bit -- but it is more often than not in the correct position and on me, it seems to 'right itself' very quickly so I don't find the flipping issue to be a problem.

I also play with my necklace as well - I prefer to be able to slide and play with it rather than have a fixed pendant and that was because I wanted to avoid the Mickey Mouse ear effect of the loops on the side. Having said that - I think that IRL, the loops are not as large and "Mickey Mouse" as they seem when they are enlarged and are examined on our computer screens! We do have a bit of a tendency to over think things here on PS, yanno --- only on occasion.... ;)) :lol: ;))

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
I set my 1.08 RB in a Stuller (I think) sliding pendant. It is prong set but there is the look of a bezel around it. I love it. I pretty much wear it 24/7 and it does not flip. I had a fixed .25 necklace and did not like it because the diamond was always moving away from center. I was constantly adjusting it. I think that happens because you move your neck from side to side throughout the day.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I totally agree on the K SI2. As for settings. My bezel flips. I know there is one that doesn't, but mine isn't that one.

I'd post a thread and ask for "options for bezels that don't flip" on Hangout maybe?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a bezeled pendant of that size too. It started out as a fixed pendant in a 4 prong basket which didn't flip but what bothered me most is that I'm constantly recentering. It is now bezeled with a bale so it never flips and is always centered.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also have a stuller sliding pendant that never flips. .38 center bezeled with a small halo.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. What vendors sell stuller settings? I think I am definitely moving toward the sliding pendant just for practicality reasons of not having to constantly adjust it throughout the day.

Enerchi very true about the mickey mouse ears...so hard to forget that life doesn't exist under 10x magnification like we see all the time!! haha

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
My diamond pendant is set in this basic Stuller slider setting. I did it to save on the setting cost, because I'd like to use the stone for a ring eventually. In real life, you don't notice the rabbit ears. It doesn't flip.

Any jeweler can get Stuller mounts. Just ask.

stullerpendantmounting.jpg

lktx

Shiny_Rock
I have a 0.42 K VS2 BGD signature H&A in their Barbara setting, and I am very happy with it. I've worn it every day since I got it a year ago. If I were doing it again, I'd definitely feel comfortable dropping to SI1 or SI2.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again for all the opinions--very helpful!

Another thought I came up with as I was researching eBay for stones: standard well cut RB or OEC? Does the cut pattern even matter at this size? My future e ring is an AVC if that matters but I thought it'd be a bit more distinctive if it was RB. Since I'm doing my darnedest not to buy yet, it's not a budget issue either. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on OEC in this size pendant (I think I've only seen them in 0.7 and larger)

allowingtoo

Shiny_Rock
I had a pair of 1 carat earrings from Sam's Club and I lost one of the earrings, so I had the other earring set in a bezel for a necklace. I imagine it would be SI quality or lower in that case but you can't tell it. I call it a doughnut bezel and I've searched but can't find a bezel setting like it anywhere. The diamond is not inset totally, but is held in place with two prongs and is a sliding bezel. It makes the diamond look a lot bigger than it was than when I was wearing it as an earring. I first had the chain too long, but then I had it shortened to just below the hollow of my throat and I feel like that is the perfect length, as it shows mostly no matter what I am wearing. It never flips. I can't tell you how many compliments I've gotten on it. I just feel like it's a classic look. Good luck with your project!

icpa1

Rough_Rock
allowingtoo|1355749426|3333317 said:
I had a pair of 1 carat earrings from Sam's Club and I lost one of the earrings, so I had the other earring set in a bezel for a necklace. I imagine it would be SI quality or lower in that case but you can't tell it. I call it a doughnut bezel and I've searched but can't find a bezel setting like it anywhere. The diamond is not inset totally, but is held in place with two prongs and is a sliding bezel. It makes the diamond look a lot bigger than it was than when I was wearing it as an earring. I first had the chain too long, but then I had it shortened to just below the hollow of my throat and I feel like that is the perfect length, as it shows mostly no matter what I am wearing. It never flips. I can't tell you how many compliments I've gotten on it. I just feel like it's a classic look. Good luck with your project!

allowingtoo, does this look like it? http://www.stuller.com/products/2938/?groupId=17097

OP, I'm starting my own bezel pendant project too. :wavey: Have been reading up on old PS threads to get some inspiration. Would love to know what you eventually decide on.

Re: OEC bezel pendants in the 0.4 to 0.5 ct. range, you may want to look at this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oec-barbara-pendant-from-bgd-love-it.177300/ I understand that the diamond there was 5mm, which is approx. 0.5 ct.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
icpa1|1356603983|3340542 said:
OP, I'm starting my own bezel pendant project too. :wavey: Have been reading up on old PS threads to get some inspiration. Would love to know what you eventually decide on.

Re: OEC bezel pendants in the 0.4 to 0.5 ct. range, you may want to look at this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oec-barbara-pendant-from-bgd-love-it.177300/ I understand that the diamond there was 5mm, which is approx. 0.5 ct.

I haven't read up on that many old threads yet, but yes, that OEC in the Barbara is gorgeous! I think I have decided that I would like 5mm minimum as I tried on a 0.49ct at T&Co and found that size perfect. The 0.33ct was probably 4.5mm I guess? But I liked the larger still.

ATTN ebay gurus: Would anyone be able to help me get the biggest bang for my buck and help me find a 5mm stone to set in my pendant? I think I prefer to go this route unless of course I can find a preloved pendant. My maximum budget is 1k (when I was looking at prices of new stones + setting this seemed reasonable I think, so hopefully preloved/ebay will be less than this). I am okay with OEC or RB, just needs to hit the 5mm mark. Color I am okay down to M but would prefer K/L or above. Clarity to SI1. If any larger stones pop up that are okay, I wouldn't turn those down either!!! :naughty: Thanks!! :wavey:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pandabee|1356745456|3341898 said:

Hmm i am no expert on OEC. But I would do two things. Go over to the preloved forum and start a "WTB .5 ct pendant"... every once in a while i see them come up, there was a .4-.5 brian gavin on for like 700, a .6 ct one for like 1100 or so... people sell them every so often so worth a post over there, then I would aslo start a new thread with a very specific " in search of a .5 OEC" or something, so dreamer sees that bat signal lol.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for those links DS...my budget is 1k but it might have gotten lost in my post above. If it's closer to 1k I'd like to hit a larger diameter. An AVR would be gorgeous but I can't justify spending that much on a stone this size...not sure if the perfection can be seen in a 5mm pendant...yes/no? Also the fact that it is 2-3x what I was picturing spending initially.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
nielseel|1356747121|3341917 said:

Hmm i am no expert on OEC. But I would do two things. Go over to the preloved forum and start a "WTB .5 ct pendant"... every once in a while i see them come up, there was a .4-.5 brian gavin on for like 700, a .6 ct one for like 1100 or so... people sell them every so often so worth a post over there, then I would aslo start a new thread with a very specific " in search of a .5 OEC" or something, so dreamer sees that bat signal lol.

I've been keeping an eye out but the other stones in this size get snagged up quickly.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
icpa1|1356603983|3340542 said:

:appl: :appl: :appl:
Well, I clicked on that link and I've got to say, that is one FINE looking Barbara BGD pendant... oh - then I realize, its MINE!! LOL!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I thought that was funny! I thought - hey, I recognize that neck... wait... :lol:

I am very happy with the size of my OEC - I am no light weight and this size is definitely noticeable on my neck. It flips, but it rights itself right away. I am VERY pleased with it! The size and the Barbara design are quite popular on PS.

I hope you find the stone of your dreams and a setting that you enjoy! Good luck!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pandabee|1356755973|3342005 said:
nielseel|1356747121|3341917 said:

I've been keeping an eye out but the other stones in this size get snagged up quickly.

did you create a WTB one of your own? I saw someone do that a few months ago she had like 3 people offering to sell their bezel pendants.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1356756515|3342013 said:
The kind of stone may not matter as much in the under half carat sizes. It would be great if you could find a pretty old cut stone at a really cheap price, but I didn't see any I liked.

James Allen has a .5 J SI1 at $896. (And I wouldn't go lower than that.)

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI1-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond-1545063.asp

Yeah that was my problem when I searched on ebay. I found a gorgeous patterned one but it was 0.33, and then there was one closer to 1ct but it was 3000!

diamondseeker2006|1356757106|3342018 said:
I seriously would not post a WTB, because then you are in less of a position to negotiate price. These pendants and even loose diamonds get posted often. I'd watch DB and LT, because there seem to be pendants on there a lot. You will save money buying second hand.

How about this one?

http://diamondbistro.com/category/197/Necklaces-and-Pendants/listings/32787/54ct-OEC-Transitional-Diamond-Necklace-H-14k.html

That was my thinking as well. I'm not in a rush to buy yet unless the price is right. Nothing wrong with that one but I haven't heard good feedback about that seller unfortunately (don't believe she's on PS).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results