shape
carat
color
clarity

Yes, another Dad talk thread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bpwagner

Rough_Rock
Here''s the situation. We live in NC, and her family lives in California. She has suggested that I talk to her Dad first, before I propose. I was already planning on doing this before her comment. She also said that a phone call is good enough...her dad doesn''t expect any in-person talk due to geographical considerations. Also, her Dad has asked jokingly (but seriously) in phone conversations with her "So when is he going to call me?"

Her parents think very highly of me because I make their daughter so happy, and I love her very much.

So what I''m asking here (yes there is a question), I already know I somewhat have their blessing, but haven''t directly asked. How do you guys think I should proceed with the conversation?

Thank You

kathio22

Rough_Rock
I wiould just ask. This seems a bit old fashion for modern me, but since it something you want to do and must do I think you should just start off with your feelings, then ask if you have his blessing for her hand in marriage. Piece of cake since they adore you already!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I think it's nice that you are asking. It really depends on your personality and your relatinship with them. Two examples of people I know, and how they asked (both were well liked):

Joking: "hey Mr./Mrs. SoAndSo, I was calling to ask you an important question...can I date your daughter? Oh, I am...Ok, then can I move in with her...oh I did? Ok, well what if I like her and I really want to keep her? Would it be Ok if I married her and made an honest woman out of her?"

(Do not try that at home kids!)

Sincere: Hello, Mr./Mrs. SoAndSo, as you know I love your daughter very much. As you also may know not only does it mean a lot to her to have your blessing, but it means a lot to me as well if you would give us your blessing. I would like to propose to her on ____ and I first wanted to ask for your opinion. I will be asking her by______. What do you think?"

Parents love to feel like their child is going to someone worthy who respects them and understands the work and love they put into raising their child. They love her, and if you do too, then you should be A-OK in thier book! GOOD LUCK!!!
9.gif

suchairman

Rough_Rock
Hey just do it man, it's not as hard as you think, I did it in November 03' followed by a proposal later that night. Actually I asked the mom,dad, and aunt(she has a very close family). I did not however, give them a date of when i planned on proposing(although they did ask). She is real close to her family and her family thinks highly of me as well, so I thought it should be a special moment for everyone to share. She still can't figure out how i was able to get to her parents without her knowledge. Trust me, if you implement the element of surprise you can't go wrong.
But just sincerely let them know how you feel about their daughter; that you plan on asking her hand in marriage soon but out of respect for them you wanted to receive their blessing/permission prior to doing so. My fiance's family was so happy that I took it upon myself to ask before I could finish they started telling me how happy their were for us and it was okay with them, how much they love us both, etc. You'll probably be a little nervous at first but once you start talking it will flow smoothly, just speak from the heart. Good luck my man! Hope this helps.
2.gif

VAgal13

Shiny_Rock
I don't think asking will be as hard as you think it will be. (I can say that, I am a girl and won't ever have to...tee hee)
2.gif

But seriously, it sounds like they love you, so I bet they will be thrilled when you call.
appl.gif

Good luck...and do let us know how it goes.

Cheers!
-Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results