shape
carat
color
clarity

Wake up proposal or beach proposal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Newfeeflip

Rough_Rock
Haven''t got the ring yet (it''s being made), but I am trying to decide how to do the proposal. First off I''d like to thank Gale - a PS member I''m sure a lot of you know - for all her help and advice with my ring selection, purchase, and proposal ideas.

My girlfriend and I are going down to the Dominican in a few weeks. Orignally, I was going to propose on the plane ride down there, but decided not to (See my other thread). So now I''m thinking of a few different things. My gf may be expecting a proposal down there so I''m thinking of doing it before we go down. Here''s some option I''ve been thinking about...

Since we don''t live together I was going to go to her house on the day we leave or sometime before we leave to wake her up in the morning. I was thinking of playing "our" song on my guitar (started learning how to play in October) to wake her up and then asking her then and there. This shows her that I don''t really care about make-up, hair or what she looks like - I liove her just the way she is. Is this romantic enoough?

Another option would be to wake her up our first morning at the resort (without the guitar of course). Or maybe even a few days into our trip. It would be nice to sort of celebrate our engagement if I proposed earlier.

My final idea would be the beach thing at sunset...or sunrise? You know...pretending to "fix my shoe" or whatever and getting on one knee...Alot of people have done this, but do you guys think this would be too predictable?

The wake-up ideas don''t seem as romantic, but they also seem like the most unpredictable. I''d like some help on this and thanks in advance!

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
"The wake-up ideas don''t seem as romantic..."
Are you kidding me!? Quite the contrary, I think it''s VERY romantic! I have a backup plan for you in case the guitar idea doesn''t pan out - wake her up with breakfast in bed with the ring on the tray!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL. If I got a wake up proposal, I''d kill myself. No, him. With my "slop head" as my husband calls it. It looks like I went through a wind tunnel in the morning. And with "the breath"....NOOOOO!!!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I agree with PaulaW that the wake up proposal is very romantic. You would be catching her off guard in the morning. I bet she will feel so beautiful and happy for the rest of the day.

Spartan

Shiny_Rock
I like the wake-up idea too! If she's a heavy sleeper, you could get the ring on her finger while she's still asleep. That way she'll wake up with it on and be totally surprised.

Of course, I'm one for unpredictable proposal ideas. When we started talking about getting married, I told my fiance to forget the cliches and propose to me in the frozen foods section of Meijer, or something like that. To me, that would be whacky and totally unforgettable...something to laugh about later.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure she'll be ecstatic! Gook luck!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE your idea of a wake up proposal. I would be so shocked! So simple but very romantic. Go for it!

Newfeeflip

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback! I didn''t expect to get many replies so soon, but that''s great!

Paula - thanks for the backup. That''s a great idea!

qtiekiki - I totally agree with you! But would the trip and the ring be too overwhelming?

Spartan - also a great idea! I''ll keep that in mind about slipping the ring on in her sleep.

Thanks again for all the help. I''m leaning more and more towards this proposal idea...so much better than the plane idea. If it wasn''t for everyone''s help who knows what I would have done!

What an awesome website - from the diamond selection, the band selection, the ring design, the proposal...how much more could I ask for. Keep the ideas coming! I''d still like to know what everyone thinks about my idea...so far 3 good, 1 bad.
36.gif

Newfeeflip

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your support snlee - that's what i thought, simple and romantic...just the way I like it!

I'm thinking I could combine the guitar and the breakfast in bed with the ring on the side

Hmmm...a plan begins to take shape!

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
I vote for the wake up proposal or breakfast in bed. What a great way to start the day!!
1.gif
1.gif

My fiance confessed that he was going to do a wake up proposal (roll over as soon as he woke up and give me the ring) because that''s when he''s happiest, when he first wakes up and I''m there next to him. He ended up doing something much more elaborate, but I thought this was a lovely idea
1.gif

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2005 7:10:14 PM
Author: Newfeeflip
qtiekiki - I totally agree with you! But would the trip and the ring be too overwhelming?
I don''t think it''s too overwhelming. If anything, I think she will be so happy on the trip with the ring and you guys can celebrate your engagement on the trip. It''s so exciting.
9.gif

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the beach proposal idea. I know it may not be as original as the wake-up idea, but remembering being on the beach with the sunset and being proposed to sounds like it would be more fun than remembering being with bad breath and eye boogers while being proposed to!!
9.gif

perhaps you could do it at sunrise on the beach?? That would be cool, the symbolism of a new day, a new beginning with the proposal, and the start of a new life together! Good luck
1.gif

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I too love the wake-up proposal. An acquaitance did a similar proposal. But I believe that he either had the ring on the pillow and when he woke her up she saw it, or he put the ring on her finger while she was sleeping and then woke her up. Of course if she is a light sleeper then the latter may not be feasible.

Good luck! And of course come back with the whole story and pics!
emteeth.gif

Newfeeflip

Rough_Rock
Wow! I agree with you on that one IrishEyes. The proposal at sunrise...alot of meaning to it when you think about it. Now I''m not sure what I want to do yet. I like both ideas!

irishcaroline

Rough_Rock
NewFreeFlip: I dont like the wake up purposal sorry! Some girls would feel awkward and would much rather be fresh and awake for it all, thats my opinion though.

Some people like a bit of attention when they are getting engaged. If thats the case i think while you are on holiday, if there is a night where you both are out somewhere watching entertainment, pretend to go to the toilet and go to the stage and arrange to use the microphone and ask her over it, she wont forget that in a hurry...and everyone there will be celebrating with you.

OR

If you think you would rather have it small and between you both, i have been to Cuba and like Cuba im sure Dominican will have some stunning beaches were you could hire a wee boat of some sort and purpose to her in the middle of the ocean...where there is no one but the two of you, surrounded by the most natural thing there is...she wouldnt be expecting that!!

Those are just a few of my ideas, i personaly like the last one...but each to their own. No matter what you do im sure it will be unforgetable.

Best Of Luck
Caroline
35.gif

Newfeeflip

Rough_Rock
Irisheyes: I''m truly grateful for your comments! Like you said, to each their own. I thought about doing the stage thing, but my gf was in the DR a few years ago and one of her friends boyfriends did that already. I want something more original. I really like the boat idea. If it''s just me and her than that would be great. Not too sure about having someone else there in the boat though. Thanks for your help...another idea to think about!

irishcaroline

Rough_Rock
haha no problem new free flip....but my names irishcaroline..irish eyes is someone else!!! hahaha no worries tho. The name doesnt matter its the ideas ur interested in!!! found something that i think you will really like to read.... my idea is actually listed in it....cant get the website working on msn anymore, so i will paste it here for you...you may have already read them! but here goes...

Proposals: 50 ways to pop the question

Remember that your sweetie will be telling the story of how you proposed to friends and strangers for the rest of her -- or his! -- life. Read our proposal primer and avoid common mistakes before you set your plan in motion, then pull back Cupid''s arrow and give it your best shot.

Go Public

For some, a public display of affection is the ultimate intimate gesture. Most movie theaters will let you buy a slide that plays onscreen before the feature. You can design your own and watch as the entire theater strains to see the lucky proposee''s astonished expression.

Convince the local theater to spell out your proposal on their marquee. Phrase it like a film title: "The Love of a Lifetime, starring (insert names here)."

Take the stage! Get in touch with the stage manager of an appropriately themed production and propose after the cast''s curtain call (the stage manager will prep everyone and get you in position). Some people have proposed after I Love You, You''re Perfect, Now Change, a musical revue about relationships running in several cities.

Have your proposal painted on a billboard en route to his or her office. Park beneath it or await their arrival at work, armed with champagne ready for toasting.

Take out a full-page ad in a newspaper you know your honey reads daily. Be nearby while they read, lest you miss the look on his or her face!

Gather all your friends for a big softball game. Give the outfielders signs that spell your intended''s name and, "Will you marry me?" When he or she comes up to bat, signal them to display the signs. Tell your soon-be-fiance that if he or she hits one out of the park, a different kind of diamond awaits him or her!

Perfectly Private (Please!)

Draw a bath for the two of you and place a floating candle or rubber ducky in the middle with a ring tied around its neck. Make a path of roses leading to the tub.

Speaking of paths, turn off all the lights in your apartment and make a trail of candles that leads to a circle of votives positioned around a ring.

Give your girlfriend a foot massage and place the ring on her little toe.

Send your sweetie on a treasure hunt. Start with a clue at home. Then send him or her on a tour of your favorite spots -- all over town, or just around the house. When he or she gets to the last hint, the treasure should be you offering up a ring or other sentimental token. They won''t need another clue to figure out what you mean.

Sometimes the key isn''t how you pop the question, but where. Find a special place, maybe the bar where you first kissed or the Chevy backseat where you first uh -- well, you know. A place that means something to both of you. Once you''re in position, just kneel and ask. Your honey will always remember that you remembered.

Tie a red velvet ribbon from one spot in your home to another. Attach little notes recalling perfect moments in your relationship along the way. You wait at the last stop, ring in hand.

You needn''t propose with a diamond ring. Buy any jewelry piece or a watch and inscribe it with, "Marry me."

Surprise!

Want to really surprise your sweetheart? Cut out the bottom of a big box, wrap it with pretty paper and ribbon, and attach a card that says, "What''s inside the box is a gift to last a lifetime." "Deliver" yourself to his or her office or front door.

A surprise trip is sure to set the mood. Blindfolds and intricate secret plans (you''ll have to pack his or her bags) are a must to increase the thrill factor. Once you''ve reached your destination, pop the question.

Is sweetie a deep sleeper? Slip the ring on his or her finger while they''re dozing and wake them with champagne and strawberries. The gesture will just seem romantic -- until they discover a new piece of jewelry adorns them!

The Way to a Loved One''s Heart (Through the Stomach)

Food is a tempting addition to any successful proposal! Spell out, "Will you marry me?" in M&Ms, jellybeans, or Hershey''s Kisses on the kitchen table, bed, or coffee table. Send him or her in to read it; when they say yes, you can toast your future with a mutual sugar rush!

Freeze the ring in a homemade Popsicle, and give your sweet two treats in one!

Surprise your honey with an intricate gift basket. Pile in yummy delicacies -- the best chocolate, caviar, coffee -- but don''t limit yourself to food. You could also include silk slippers, a book or CD. Hide the ring among all these wonderful presents (in its box, so it doesn''t get lost in the goodies).

If you''re dining in a fancy restaurant, ask the wait staff to write, "Will you marry me?" in chocolate sauce around the rim of his or her dessert plate.

Serve a dinner of aphrodisiacs at home and place the ring inside an oyster shell.

Make your intended breakfast in bed. Propose to him or her while they feel ultra-cozy and pampered.

Let Them See the Kid in You

Draw a hopscotch board on the sidewalk and invite your honey out for a game. Once he or she has succumbed to a little childhood play, replace the pebble you''re using with the real rock!

Spell your proposal out in glow-in-the-dark star stickers on your ceiling. Get into bed, turn the lights off, and wait for the inevitable gasp.

Write "Will You Marry Me?" on the underside of a kite and take flight one warm, breezy afternoon.

Spell out your proposal with refrigerator magnets.

Scratch your proposal into the frost on his or her car''s windshield.

If it''s Easter season, paint one word each from the phrase "Will you marry me?" on four eggs and hide them with the rest, so he or she has to find them all to make a complete sentence! Definitely make "marry" the hardest egg to find. You can throw in other eggs with funny verbs painted on them to throw your egghead off -- like kick, tickle, and love!

Hot Ideas Under the Sun

Go to the beach with your honey of honeys. Casually build a sandcastle (at a safe distance from the ocean!), and place the ring on the highest turret. Invite him or her to admire your handiwork, then pop the question.

Go for a sunset sail and propose at sea.

If you''re vacationing in a warm place (or you live in a warm place, lucky dogs), tie the ring onto your hot thang''s new string bikini -- or in the lacing of his surf shorts -- and announce that you want to take the plunge!

While your beloved naps on the beach, sneak away and spell out your intention in seashells. Then go for an afternoon stroll and let the shells do all the work.

Take your darlin'' to the local Fourth of July fireworks show, and have someone announce your proposal before your whole town.

Gather your families together for a summer barbecue and make your proposal a family affair.

Plan a scavenger hunt through a local park. Pack a picnic, and when you get to the park, send him or her along to find the first clue. Once they''re out of sight, make yourself the last clue in a romantic spot with champagne on ice and ring in hand.

Invite Mr. or Ms. Right to a private pool party and send the ring floating toward them on a raft. (Note: This doesn''t work in Jacuzzis.)

For a truly classy approach: Write your proposal in sunscreen on your tummy, so that your tan will "stencil in" the words. She will be so touched you''ve taken such an, um, interesting approach, she will accept immediately.

Flying High

Hire a skywriter to spell your proposal on high..

Tongue-tied? Hire a plane to fly a banner with your "Marry me (insert name here)" message written on it. Take your honey to a wide-open space -- a beach, park, or stadium -- and simply point.

Hire a plane to draw huge hearts and your initials in the sky. When your sweetie notices what the pilot is doing, tell him or her that your love was heaven sent.

Flower Power

Flowers always charm people -- what else exists solely to look beautiful? (Except your fiance, of course!) String the ring on a ribbon and use it to tie a bouquet of wonderful flowers (daffodils, tulips, lilies, or whatever reminds you of him or her) together.

Go for symbolic power. Instead of the standard, albeit lovely, bouquet of roses, present him or her with a potted orchid. Put the ring beside the stem (in its box, so it doesn''t get lost in the Spanish moss). The orchid will last a long time, will always be regal, and will bloom time and time again (just like your love).

Plant a colorful window box of forget-me-nots for him or her. Write one word each from the phrase "Will you marry me?" on four garden markers.

Sneak into his or her home or office armed with rose petals. In the biggest letters space will allow, spell out, "Will You Marry Me?"

Awww, So Sweet!

If it''s cold and snowy, build a snowman -- or snowwoman -- and set the ring box in his or her stick arms.

Propose in a different language, or lots of different languages -- starting with French, the language of love.

Buy a baby animal that he or she has always wanted (bunny, kitten, puppy) and loosely tie the ring around its neck. Make a commitment to the pet and each other. Or, substitute a stuffed animal -- still fuzzy, but less maintenance!

Play Hangman and have the phrase be "Marry Me."

So there you go NewFreeFlip, hope this helps you..and do let me know how you decided to do it!!! Its exciting!!!
Best Of Luck

Caroline
35.gif

Newfeeflip

Rough_Rock
Ohhh, so sorry IrishCaroline....I just saw the butterfly and I got mixed up! Thanks for the ideas...I did go on the MSN website yesterday, but I didn''t really get a chance to look at it. I''ll take another look and see what''s there. Thanks again!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
The wake up proposal idea is actually under the surprise category of the msn 50 proposals.

Newfeeflip

Rough_Rock
Oh yeah! Don''t know if I''ll try that one though because she''ll probably wake up. She also usually wears her "promise ring" at night at well so she may notice something different when she wakes up. I''ll read though that list again when I get some time. Thanks!

wcitygirl

Rough_Rock
Initially, I thought the wake up propsoal would be great. Then, I started thinking about it. 1) I don''t know if your girlfriend is a morning person or not? I''m just dumb and incoherent
19.gif
when I first wake up. If she''s coherent in the am, then that''s fine. 2) AND, I have to agree about the breath thing....

I really like the sunrise idea. Maybe you could pack a yummy breakfast?
1.gif

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Newfeeflip: I saw on another one of your posts that you are planning to ask your GF to marry you in Portugese! That plus the "wake up" or beach proposal are going to put her over the moon!! Please come back with the full story after you propose.
36.gif

Newfeeflip

Rough_Rock
Plans are starting to come together onedrop and I''ll be sure to let eveyone how it goes! Everyone has been so much help. And, yes, i think I will be doing the proposal in Portuguese! Starting to get nervous now, but I will post my entire plan before I do it to get everyone''s opinion.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Great, we''ll be waiting! And now I know how to spell it...p-o-r-t-u-g-u-e-s-e.
emwink.gif

utah22

Rough_Rock
Does the Dominican have any waterfalls at all? I have a similar conundrum coming up, as I''m headed to St. Thomas in Feb and am trying to figure out something memorable as well. I heard of a guy who arranged a meeting w/his girlfriend for dinner while she was laying out at the pool. He snuck away, went to the room and left directions (*along with a new dress laid out for her, shoes, earrings, etc) and a location where he was going to be waiting to go to dinner. He had a car waiting out in front of the hotel (I believe he was in Hawaii) and paid the driver to take her to where he was waiting... when she got there, he was waiting under a waterfall for her, where he proposed.

thought that was kind of cool.... mostly for having the new dress & stuff laid out for her. The waterfall thing could seem cheesy, but I''m sure it''s something she''d definitely remember.

I''ve been on websites trying to find a memorable location in St Thomas that would maybe be able to be a spot you can go back to that as an anniversary spot or something....

nicknomo

Shiny_Rock
Something you may want to consider is her attitude in the morning... I don''t know about yours, but my woman is pretty grumpy in the morning... groggy too. The last thing you''d want is for her to be groggy when getting proposed to. Honestly, if she is either one, I''d say to pass on it.

Of course, if she is bubbly in the morning, wakes up quick, and is a generally happy camper then it might be a good idea.

From what I understand, women want the moment to be memorable and of genuine happiness. A lot of guys (like myself) tend to put a lot of effort into establishing "mood" before hand. I think if you go with this idea it would be crucial to prep her for the occasion. A nice lonnng peaceful rest, with a nice gentle wake up.. some time to come around... maybe a romantic breakfast in bed... or some pampering (like a back or foot rub)... I think with this sort of approach you are guarenteed a monumental success.

Of course I think you are guarenteed a monumental failure if you shake her violently at 6 am and while she is in a half awake state ask "will you marry me". There are of course in betweens, and only you know best about which method would be appropriate for her.

IMO, the delivery is everything.. In a situation like that, I think it would take quite a bit of care to execute well.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.. I''m sure you will do something she will love...

Newfeeflip

Rough_Rock
Utah22...that waterfall idea sounds pretty cool. I don''t know of any waterfalls in St Thomas or the Dominican, although I think there are some lagoons in the area we are in. I think I''m leaning more towards proposing before we go down. That would be an amazing proposal though...a lot of planning...but amazing!

Nicknomo...I''m still putting together a "plan", but until I get the ring in my hands I don''t have anything set in stone. I''d like to have the ring before I put my final plans in order. That would be funny to shake her while she''s sleeping and ask her then and there...so far I want to wake her up by playing "our song" on my guitar. That way she has some time to gather her senses. Plus our flight is that day so she''ll hopefully be too excited to be tired as I will be for sure! I''ll post my plans when I get them together.

I appreciate all the input guys and gals! Thanks a bunch!

Newfeeflip

Rough_Rock
So here''s the final plan. For those of you following my other two threads you know that I have the ring now and my Portuguese is coming along so now I can finally think about what I''m going to do.

I''ve decided to do it before we go on our trip. I''ll be going to her house the morning we leave around 7am and hopefully she''ll still be in bed. Our flight isn''t till 3 so I''m sure she''ll be sleeping. I''ll give her a little nudge to wake her up and I''ll start playing my guitar. Maybe I''ll just tune it up or something until she''s fully awake. I think I''ll then I''ll say Happy Birthday because her birthday is the day before so she''ll think it''s just part of her birthday. Then I''ll play "our" song which I''ve been practicing for the past month! (I only started playing in Oct). Since I''m a real joker and she loves to laugh I''ve decided to do something which I''m sure most of you will not like! I know someone who is a geologist and he gave me a Herkamir (spelling?) diamond. It basically looks like a 3 carat rough stone and if I didn''t do my research I''d say it were a real diamond. It''s still embedded in a piece of rock. I''m thinking of telling her that I went to a mine or I know someone who mines and it''s really cheap if I get the rough diamond first and that we can make it into the "perfect diamond" for our engagement. She knows how I love to save a buck so she''ll believe me. I will then say a few sentences in Portuguese (see my other thread) and either point to the ring box on her dresser or the ring on her finger if I can get it while she''s sleeping, but by the end of the song I''m sure she''ll notice it so probably not. After I propose I''ll take her to my parents restaurant so we can have breakfast (I''ll probably decorate and stuff beforehand). And then it''s sun, sun, sun...and a few bevvies to celebrate!

I put as much detail as I could, but I''m sure it won''t be as simple as it sounds. I''ll let everyone know how it went of course. Again, thanks to everyone that helped me out.

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/13/2005 11
6.gif
7:38 PM
Author: utah22
Does the Dominican have any waterfalls at all? I have a similar conundrum coming up, as I'm headed to St. Thomas in Feb and am trying to figure out something memorable ....

I've been on websites trying to find a memorable location in St Thomas that would maybe be able to be a spot you can go back to that as an anniversary spot or something....

I just did the St. Thomas proposal thing - It was on St. Thomas at the top of Paradise Point. There is a little wedding chapel (gazebo) up there (Click here and click on the Wedding Section)It was a fun proposal story.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Happy proposing to Newfeeflip, who proposes tomorrow to the woman of his dreams!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results