shape
carat
color
clarity

traveling out of the us for engagement

vtrwillie

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,
I am traveling out of the US next month with my girlfriend and I am considering taking a 3 ct. engagement ring I bought for her with me. What type of paperwork should I take with me to prove it was with me (owned by me) when I left the US? Should I anticipate a probelm with customs?

I will be traveling to eastern Europe.

Thanks

jaeisber

Rough_Rock
I cant imagine you will have any issues getting it in to Eastern Europe...

I assume you plan on proposing to her while you are abroad? If so, you wont have to clear it through customs since it will be on her finger on the way back through.

Just my .02

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
One suggestion I have in addition to her wearing it back which will void the need for a customs declaration is to actually propose sooner rather than later on your trip.

Two years ago DH and I were on a trip in Spain and my wallet was stolen on the metro (their train). Because my passport was stolen in my wallet, I had to spend an entire day at the police station filing a police report and waiting for the copy of it.

There were not two but THREE people there on the same day as me that were reporting stolen rings! One guy had his camera case stolen and he had put the ring in the camera case so she wouldn't see it there, the other had left it in the safe at the hotel, and the last one was the one that really broke my heart because he was nearly in tears. He had it in his coat pocket because he was going to propose that night and he took off his coat at a coffee shop in the morning. When he returned to his seat, his coat and the ring was gone.

The one thing they ALL regretted was not having asked sooner because in that case, their fiances would have had the rings on them and not them carrying it around!

Unless you already have a very specific plan for proposing to her, I would really recommend scheduling a fantastic tour of the city you are visiting and picking a nice scenic place to pull her aside and propose. Besides, that way, you two can spend your entire vacation celebrating and enjoying your first days of being engaged! Good Luck and Congratulations!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results