shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring vs Honeymoon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Noelstreet

Rough_Rock
Ladies and gentlemen,

My lady in waiting is driving me crazy and I am trying to appear to be the more knowledgeable groom. What/who determines what percent of funds available do you spend on the ring versus the honeymoon?

Just as FYI. We have between 5 and 10k to spend total.

Thanks,

Joe

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does she know you are looking at rings?

If so, you might talk with her to see what she thinks. (If I were choosing for me, I''d take a nicer ring and skip the honeymoon altogether.)

Once you have a budget, you might have her look and see what she likes in that range. (Zales and other online stores let you set up a wishlist) That way, if you do the final shopping alone, you''ll have an idea what she likes.
She may even run across a great sale while she''s looking.

Noelstreet

Rough_Rock
Are there any "online" jewelers I can trust. Just real nervous about parting with my hard earned cash in that amount for what may end up being a piece of coal. Thanks.

Joe

IceExplorer

Shiny_Rock
For what it's worth, I'm a guy and I chose to take full control of the process.

Everything up to (and including) the engagement is going to be a complete surprise to her. I've decided on the budget, diamond, setting, trip for the engagement and where it will happen. I'd consider myself a traditionalist in this regard. But, I know she isn't a jewellery perfectionist with a narrow scope. She's more of the type of girl to appreciate whatever she is given and appreciate the effort I put forth. Not all women are like this, so you have to decide what works best for your situation.

If I can offer you some advice... If you have some time (several weeks) to educate yourself for this process, I'd suggest you take it. The best thing I did was give myself LOTS of time. One more thing, if you're using a nick name she might recognize, consider changing it.

Good luck!

I'd personally recommend briangavindiamonds.com they have been great to work with.

rierie26

Shiny_Rock
Hmm...I don''t think there are set percentages. Does your gf know what she wants in a ring (or a honeymoon, I guess)? I''d go from there. If she wants a bigger, elaborate ring, then you''ll have to compromise on the honeymoon budget since you have a set amount for both.

dani2142

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 9:19:24 PM
Author: IceExplorer

For what it''s worth, I''m a guy and I chose to take full control of the process.

Everything up to (and including) the engagement is going to be a complete surprise to her. I''ve decided on the budget, diamond, setting, trip for the engagement and where it will happen. I''d consider myself a traditionalist in this regard. But, I know she isn''t a jewellery perfectionist with a narrow scope. She''s more of the type of girl to appreciate whatever she is given and appreciate the effort I put forth. Not all women are like this, so you have to decide what works best for your situation.

If I can offer you some advice... If you have some time (several weeks) to educate yourself for this process, I''d suggest you take it. The best thing I did was give myself LOTS of time. One more thing, if you''re using a nick name she might recognize, consider changing it.

Good luck!

I''d personally recommend briangavindiamonds.com they have been great to work with.
I agree with this. I would want my hubby to decide it all. I am a girl who could really care less about the size of the diamond and all that. I don''t really wear jewerly at all to be honest. But if your chick isn''t like this then maybe you should try to figure out where she stands more with everything. I would just love to be surprised with everything and love whatever was given to me and all the effort put into it. :) Good luck!

LadyJane83

Shiny_Rock
Yes, definitely talk to her about it. But I think you are entitled to put in your two cents and have some say in how much $ is budgeted for honeymoon v. ring.

This is a jewelry lovers forum, so I know I am in the minority here, but I would rather skip the engagement ring altogether and go on a once in a lifetime trip! Your gf may be the same way. I''m getting an e-ring mainly because the idea of the the e-ring and what it symbolizes is important to my bf ... and I didn''t put up a fight b/c it''s not like I don''t love diamonds!

You can get great deals online. Good luck in your search!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results