shape
carat
color
clarity

Our Engagement - 11/29/08

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mjh00008

Rough_Rock
Ok so I lurked on this site a TON and then I registered under 2 different screen names, DGFitz and HSC, in order to get different ideas and throw my fiancee off in case she was reading. Well I am happy to report that it all went beautifully according to plan. Here''s how:

My fiancee and I live in New Orleans, but she is from the Chicago, IL area. After talking about marriage for months, I decided it was time to propose. At first, I was leaning towards proposing at the site of our first love confession, but when we started to talk about Thanksgiving plans, I came up with the perfect idea.

Last New Year''s Eve, my fiancee and I took the overnight Amtrak train from Chicago to New Orleans. We had a cute little cabin on board and brought champagne and chocolates, etc. to celebrate the New Year in style. The overnight trek takes just under 20 hours to complete, but is an awesome and romantic experience.

Knowing that we would be at her home in Chicago again this Thanksgiving, I suggested we again take the overnight train from Chicago to New Orleans as our way of getting home. She instantly leapt at the idea so we booked another cabin and my plan was in motion.

Within a few days I upgraded our cabin to a deluxe room so that I would have space enough to get on one knee - I''m 6''3" and these rooms are SMALL! After browsing though hundreds of web pages and visiting stores in person with my fiancee (then girlfriend), I finally came across the perfect ring for her. I ordered the setting through my local jeweler and Unique Settings of New York - a platinum micropave "halo" engagement ring. I had the local jeweler set a .8 carat, Canadian, ideal cut round brilliant center, and the 75 1 pointers around the center and down the sides, about 3/4 eternity band on the shanks. I''ll upload a few pictures for your viewing pleasure!

On Thanksgiving Day, I called my parents to let them know I would be asking her to marry me. Of course, they were absolutely thrilled and excited, but vowed to keep silent until I asked. Also on the same day, while going for a walk with her family, I approached her father and asked that he "help me find a time to sit down and talk" with him and his wife, without his daughter around.

On Friday, ("Black Friday"), we spent the day with her family and her father and I exchanged glances throughout the day, communicating only with our eyes as we tried to find the right time to have "the talk." We were finally given a window of opportunity when my fiancee took a nap in the late afternoon. I snuck downstairs while she was sleeping and talked with BOTH her mom and dad. I''m keeping those details private but it went smashingly well!

That night just before the family dinner, her father and I had a private "toast" in the corner of the dining room.

On Saturday morning, we headed to Downtown Chicago with all our bags and of course I was hiding the engagement ring cleverly inside the case, inside a box, inside a sock, inside my briefcase! I wanted to leave no chance that she would come across it accidentally.

Well we finally boarded the train at about 7 PM and made our way to our upgraded cabin. We spent the next hour getting settled into the room and preparing for our long trip. We toasted our departure with a beer as we pulled out of the station. The train made a few maneuvers, changing tracks and directions three times. Then it began to roll past the beautiful skyline of Chicago. A Chicagoan at heart, my fiancee pressed her face against the glass and took pictures of her hometown. Meanwhile I was rummaging through my briefcase as discreetly as possible, removing the box from the sock, then the case from the box until I had it safely in my left hand. As we rolled out of the Downtown area and the skyline turned to open black space, I snuck up beside her and took a knee. I kissed her on the neck and told her "You are my best friend. I love you." Then I pulled out the case from behind my back, opened it and exposed the ring and asked her, "Will you marry me?"

She responded with an emphatic "YES!" that was probably louder than the whistle of the train. We celebrated by calling family and friends, and drinking champagne. As she called her mom and dad, I went back to my briefcase and pulled out 3 wedding planning magazines, including Real Simple''s guide to weddings. We spent the rest of the train ride enjoying each other''s company and flipping through the magazines, starting the daunting process of planning our wedding.

To help ease the let-down of being back home and returning to work the next day, I arranged for us to spend the night at a bed-and-breakfast in New Orleans, even though we both have our own homes in the city. We went out to one of the best restaurants in the city and again toasted the future.

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Your girlfriend/fiancee is one lucky girl!!!!!

1) What an absolutely gorgeous ring

2) The pre-engagement planning was so thoughtful and well done

3) The proposal was sweet and romantic and everything MY boyfriend would want in a proposal (he loves trains!)

Congratulations on your engagement!!!
36.gif
36.gif

ams0124

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!!! You did an amazing job planning everything out...very thoughtful
36.gif

And that RING!!! BREATHTAKING!!! You have to post some hand shots...I love halos
30.gif
...There is never enough pictures of halo rings!!!
9.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations. The ring is beautiful. You did good!!!

vita*dolce

Brilliant_Rock
wow!! beautiful ring!! congratulations on your engagement!!

CNYHopeful

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations!
36.gif
What a sweet and thoughtful proposal! Best wishes to both of you
1.gif

tabu

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
Awesome proposal story. I am so happy for you and your now fiance
1.gif
The ring is gorgeous too
2.gif
Happy wedding planning to you both!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results